Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which UK universities apart from Oxbridge are comparable to the Ivy Leagues?

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
Interview Discussion 30-01-2014
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curiousquest)
    The notion "best" is generally taken with a poll from English speakers.

Which are the "best" unis in France, Germany, Holland, Spain, Hong Kong, Singapore, UAE, Israel, .....

Are graduates from those countries inferior when compared to the UK and US? I doubt it, judging by the vast numbers that take up the top jobs in the UK, in industry as well as in academia.
    The best French graduates don't go to university. The most important German research isn't done in universities.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    LSE for Economics, UCL/Imperial for Science
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Presenttime)
    LSE for Economics, UCL/Imperial for Science
    UCL for science? Don't think so.

Physical Sciences, Life Sciences and Engineering, which discipline would UCL be considered as good, or better than Imperial?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lotsofq)

Physical Sciences, Life Sciences and Engineering, which discipline would UCL be considered as good, or better than Imperial?
    UCL Biological Sciences ?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    See, this is the kind of thing I'm talking about. I just happened to chance upon this on facebook. Our schools don't replicate this research oriented culture.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...grant-for.html
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tiffanysims)
    See, this is the kind of thing I'm talking about. I just happened to chance upon this on facebook. Our schools don't replicate this research oriented culture.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...grant-for.html
    You mean the United States taxpayer has slung a large wad of cash at a US university for a research project.

You do realise that the British taxpayer also slings enormous amounts of money at the British higher education sector.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pipsi)
    In my opinion, which I'm sure many will disagree with. The top unis in the UK are Oxford, Cambridge and Durham, as well as possible LSE and UCL. Although I'm not a particular fan of the London based unis and in my opinion the Doxbridge three can offer a lot more.

It's often department specific though, Theology at Durham as been voted the best department year on year and few academics in Oxford and Cambridge will argue that Durham's department isn't better than theirs.

I'm currently a student at Durham, but I've held this view for many years before I even considered applying to Durham as a postgrad. I also considered Oxford and Cambridge but a number of reasons made me apply to Durham instead.
    Sweet jesus, this makes me want to leave.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    The mods on this forum are total ****. Soon they will close this thread, just like they close any thread with any form of unpleasant debate.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lotsofq)

Neuroscience. UCL is something like second best in the world and no European uni comes even close.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DynamicSyngery)
    Half the Ivy League isn't even particularly prestigious apart from for being in the Ivy League. What is Dartmouth or Cornell famous for? Do you think people on the street have heard of them? If you mean comparable to Harvard, then perhaps LSE is comparable in terms of man-on-the-street name recognition, and the whole 'Golden Triangle' and Warwick in terms of research quality.
    I hope you aren't being serious. Here in Singapore Cornell is famous for its engineering and administration programs. While Dartmouth for its strong science and philosophy departments.

You may not have heard of it because you (i'm assuming) are from the UK so i don't blame you.

Also how is LSE comparable to the man-on-the street recognition as Harvard?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruvermillion)
    I hope you aren't being serious. Here in Singapore Cornell is famous for its engineering and administration programs. While Dartmouth for its strong science and philosophy departments.

You may not have heard of it because you (i'm assuming) are from the UK so i don't blame you.

Also how is LSE comparable to the man-on-the street recognition as Harvard?
    I highly doubt that is man on the street.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pipsi)
    In my opinion, which I'm sure many will disagree with. The top unis in the UK are Oxford, Cambridge and Durham, as well as possible LSE and UCL. Although I'm not a particular fan of the London based unis and in my opinion the Doxbridge three can offer a lot more.

It's often department specific though, Theology at Durham as been voted the best department year on year and few academics in Oxford and Cambridge will argue that Durham's department isn't better than theirs.

I'm currently a student at Durham, but I've held this view for many years before I even considered applying to Durham as a postgrad. I also considered Oxford and Cambridge but a number of reasons made me apply to Durham instead.
    "Doxbridge"? LOL LSE and Imperial are miles ahead of Durham. I think being a Durham student has really got the better of you. Doxbridge ffs get a grip :confused:
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    After Oxbridge and LSE. Manchester is one of the strongest uni's in this country in terms of international prestige.

Interesting how no one in this thread has mentioned it. As it is far better than Durham, Bristol, St Andrews etc etc.

Going on last years QS rankings, Manchester is no 7 in the UK, and 48 in the world. So yeah deffo as good as any ivy league.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dj1015)
    After Oxbridge and LSE. Manchester is one of the strongest uni's in this country in terms of international prestige.

Interesting how no one in this thread has mentioned it. As it is far better than Durham, Bristol, St Andrews etc etc.

Going on last years QS rankings, Manchester is no 7 in the UK, and 48 in the world. So yeah deffo as good as any ivy league.
    lol
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    So "Moxbridge" is more credible than "Doxbridge".
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cutmeloose)
    lol
    Do you even go to university?

Have you ever spoken to academic professionals?

I suspect no.......

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.u...Creverse_false

something for you to enjoy...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oj234)
    "Doxbridge"? LOL LSE and Imperial are miles ahead of Durham. I think being a Durham student has really got the better of you. Doxbridge ffs get a grip :confused:
    LOL
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dj1015)
    Do you even go to university?

Have you ever spoken to academic professionals?

I suspect no.......

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.u...Creverse_false

something for you to enjoy...

Conveniently leaving out fact that in domestic leagues Manc does not even make top 30 in 3 / 4 ranks, the one it does it is 29.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zenomorph)
    Conveniently leaving out fact that in domestic leagues Manc does not even make top 30 in 3 / 4 ranks, the one it does it is 29.
    Continently you left out the fact that Manchester is the largest university in the UK, and thus covers a wider range of disciplines than any other institution. So there are some areas that are lacking. But on the whole, a highly regarded and respected institution both nationally and internationally.

Also if you took the 10 strongest departments at manc, and compared them to any one else below 7th place. Manc comes out on top every time.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why is US universities in the thread when it was supposed to be UK?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: January 26, 2013
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.