The Student Room Group

How to get a first?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Lazaroo
It was sarcasm. The person I quoted couldn't use "your/you're" correctly, hence why I said "hopefully not English" :smile:

Also, someone else will have to pass on some wisdom about their English degree. I am doing Paramedic Science so not really my area of expertise :smile:

This was sent from TSR's iPhone app, as I couldn't be arsed to turn on the laptop.

Hopefully you'll quit and study a real subject.
Reply 21
I found making sure I knew what everything was worth really helped. In my final year the dissertation was worth 40% of my final grade so I went out of my way to understand what is was that the examiners/lecturers want from the work, and then made sure I chose a subject that was going to challenge me but that was realistic in the time frame.
I also started early and got into the work from the start of the year.

In regards to other modules I made myself a time table from day one monday-saturday about 10-6 each day. Then just started early. That is my biggest bit of advise as others above have said, start early.
to be completely honest it was an awful 9 months and I don't think I had much of a social life, but at the end of it I had a fantastic summer. think it also depends on the subjects you are doing. For instance for me it was all about the further reading, so i read everything I could get my hands on.

You can definitely do it, just keep working very hard, and understand that it is going to be tough!
Reply 22
Original post by facetious
Do you find that to be more effective than concentrating on one module at a time then?

Yes, I find revising two modules per day to be more effective than just concentrating on one. I want to learn a bit of each module, so near the exams I don't have to learn too much.

I start making rough notes for the lectures in week 4/5 (assuming there are 10 lectures). And, I start revising 3/4 weeks before the exam.

More tips:
Don't revise too much (like 7/8 hours a day). Revise intelligently for about 4 hours a day and concentrate on the major topics. I can't stress how important this tip is.

Have a chewing gum during the exams. It stimulates your brain.

Rest your brain before the exam. There is no point revising 3/4 hours before the exam. I try to relax my brain by watching TV. You don't want your brain to be exhausted just before the exam.

My overall average is 78%, so obviously the above exam techniques worked for me.
Original post by jam277
Yup, I think just keeping up with all the modules(by the end of the week you'll be on the same lecture as the tutor is) is probably the easiest and the best option in getting a first and after a couple of days you can find the consistency and work harder.

Well, for first year the workload was really doable, it's more than 6th form, but there's less pressure to get to the 70-100% margin and you can lay off the gas and get 60% and it'll still be a good grade.

I'm the kind who learns things quickly but does not work hard enough so I won't get a consistent first(if I keep on doing this)
So when I hear people saying how they do 5 hours of work a day on uni work I'm confused when they don't get at least a high 2:1, then again I'm a first year who's really been getting pot luck. :colonhash:

Sorry i didnt get what you mean for the first bit. By the end of the week you'll be on the same lecture as the tutor is? Tbh Im nit even sure if the difference between a lecture and a seminar :colondollar:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Original post by Twinkle1
I found making sure I knew what everything was worth really helped. In my final year the dissertation was worth 40% of my final grade so I went out of my way to understand what is was that the examiners/lecturers want from the work, and then made sure I chose a subject that was going to challenge me but that was realistic in the time frame.
I also started early and got into the work from the start of the year.

In regards to other modules I made myself a time table from day one monday-saturday about 10-6 each day. Then just started early. That is my biggest bit of advise as others above have said, start early.
to be completely honest it was an awful 9 months and I don't think I had much of a social life, but at the end of it I had a fantastic summer. think it also depends on the subjects you are doing. For instance for me it was all about the further reading, so i read everything I could get my hands on.

You can definitely do it, just keep working very hard, and understand that it is going to be tough!
thank you we appreciate your advice but which subject are you doing?

Read around your subject. Its not very easy to get a first when all you do is regurgitate your notes/lectures. You need to show the marker that you understand the subject and have taken some interest in it.
Its the little details that push your mark up.

(obviously this only works for essay type questions, not single answer ones!)

Also having said this make sure you dont waffle. Putting down EVERYTHING you know that vaguely corresponds to a topic will do more harm than good. I know you want to show off all the things you know and have revised for but not showing clarity and decisiveness in your answers can mark you down.
Reply 26
Original post by Serano
Hopefully you'll quit and study a real subject.

Yes, I so wish I'd done a Mickey Mouse degree like media studies instead of becoming a registered healthcare professional. Last night I helped to save the life of a 4 month old child. If that's not "real" then I don't know what is.

Maybe you should do some research into what being a paramedic actually involves. When someone in your family needs an ambulance, may I suggest calling for someone who studied a "real" subject. Because obviously by studying a "real" subject they'll be equipped with the skills, knowledge and experience to save their life, not us mere paramedic science lot.

This was sent from TSR's iPhone app, as I couldn't be arsed to turn on the laptop.
Reply 27
Original post by Skyblue.Salma
thank you we appreciate your advice but which subject are you doing?

Business Management undergrad, Logistics and supply chain management masters.
Reply 28
Original post by jab1991
Yes, I find revising two modules per day to be more effective than just concentrating on one. I want to learn a bit of each module, so near the exams I don't have to learn too much.

I start making rough notes for the lectures in week 4/5 (assuming there are 10 lectures). And, I start revising 3/4 weeks before the exam.

More tips:
Don't revise too much (like 7/8 hours a day). Revise intelligently for about 4 hours a day and concentrate on the major topics. I can't stress how important this tip is.

Have a chewing gum during the exams. It stimulates your brain.

Rest your brain before the exam. There is no point revising 3/4 hours before the exam. I try to relax my brain by watching TV. You don't want your brain to be exhausted just before the exam.

My overall average is 78%, so obviously the above exam techniques worked for me.

Damn, I used the same techniques, although much less consistently and it worked very well for me. All I can say is had I'd not used these techniques I would have failed my first semester. This is very good advice, if anyone sticks to this advice and does it consistently they'll get firsts.

I bought 7 packs of 5 sticks of wrigleys juicy fruit/spearmint for a pound at home bargains and got one pack every time I went to the library.

Sorry i didnt get what you mean for the first bit. By the end of the week you'll be on the same lecture as the tutor is? Tbh Im nit even sure if the difference between a lecture and a seminar :colondollar:

I don't do seminars, I'm doing a science degree and seminars are usually for arts students in liverpool.

I mean if a lecture does 3 lectures a week for 3 modules, instead of doing 9 lectures and going through one whole module, i'll do 3 lectures for each module so I'm basically on the same lecture(lesson) as the lecturer is on so Its basically like I'm never behind.
(edited 11 years ago)
If I told you that a first is nothing more than a personal achievement and does little to affect job prospects above a 2:1 (other than academic work, and even this is debatable) then I would most likely be cast off as a cynic.

If I then told you I and other people have experienced this, then you'd look at my uni and say, 'yeah that's because your uni sucks'.

Then if I told you that this applies for all unis including COWI, you'd probably just call me a nutter or a one off and forget about my opinion until you're finally in the situation and regret listening to the ramblings of one weird bloke on the Internet.

Moral of the story: Aim for a first, but make sure you get work experience. At least one year in the industry you want to go into. Then, it won't matter if you don't get a first, and it won't matter if you do either.
Treat your degree like a job.
Reply 31
Original post by Waterstorm
Treat your degree like a job.

Defo agree with this. If I have a study day, I revise as if I was in lectures. So from 9.30 to 12.30 with a break in between, then from 1.30 til 4.30ish. Helps stop me from procrastinating. Not completely though :wink:
Reply 32
Thanks for the tips guy, much appreciated :biggrin:
Reply 33
I don't believe there is a particular knack to getting a first (every course is different) but here are a few things I have picked up from my three years of undergrad:

-do some research into the lecturer/marker. Look out for the key messages they are trying to get across. Most lecturers will aim to leave you with a particular 'take home message'- make it clear that it has got through to you. Read their papers and look at both the content and the writing style. You can learn a lot about what they expect from you by looking at what they expect from themselves.
- If you are really struggling to read a paper or book chapter the information is more than likely not going in. Is there another (more readable) source to get similar information from? Try to keep your interest level up.
- get as much feedback as you can- sometimes easier said than done!
-be your own toughest critic. Find the mistakes in your work before someone else does. Writing an essay is only half the work. Reviewing and rewriting is crucial.
-put effort into maintaining good relationships with academic staff. Not only are they experts in their field but they also have been where you are now.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 34
Original post by eff01
Thanks for the tips guy, much appreciated :biggrin:

Good luck!
Reply 35
Why is english hard at Uni?? Ive applied for english and Ill be grateful is you can tell me sone tips for doing well at Uni. I really wna get at least a 2:1

The reading's heavy and English is a more subjective degree than say, maths or science degrees where there is 99.9% of the time a definitive answer to a question - some people may not enjoy this style of learning. That's my guess anyway.

(also, using apostrophes might be quite hard for you in your case :wink: )
Lol, its cause unfortunately I suck at typing using touch screen phones. I type too fast so typos are bound to occur

:getmecoat:
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending