Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Lost card and pin number, £160 gone :(

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I recently lost my wallet which had my debit card and pin number in it (idiotic to the extreme, I know), and reported it to my bank a week later after I realized I had 1) actually lost it and 2) it wasn't hiding in my house somewhere. It took about 2 weeks for my new card to come but as soon as it did, I checked the balance and £160 was taken out on June 2nd I know that this is all completely my own fault, so my question is, is there any point in even ringing Halifax to see if they will do anything?
    Thanks, Adam.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    It might be a good idea, as you'd be able to find out where the money was taken out and see if there is any CCTV in the area to see who took it. It is a crime to take money from another person's account, so reporting it to the police would be a good idea.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    You should get in touch with Halifax, see what they have to say. It may be worth getting in touch with the police as well, you never know there may be CCTV footage near the ATM. They should know what time the money was taken, so its possible to find who did it, in theory.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    One of the pre-requisites of banks covering fraudulent activity is that you have to keep your pin safe so no I'm afraid they wont help you.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I'll give them a ring and then the police. Thanks for the quick replies
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    halifax then the police
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think banks say they will claim no responsibility for funds lost if they are taken after you have lost it, and before you have reported it to them as missing. Also the fact that you had your pin along side the card....

Of course there's no harm in trying...Good luck.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by monk_keys)
    One of the pre-requisites of banks covering fraudulent activity is that you have to keep your pin safe so no I'm afraid they wont help you.
    Agreed. I was recently a victim of fraud and one of the first questions was do I write my PIN down. I don't and never have done.

I doubt the bank will do much if you had your PIN with you.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, this is 2012 and everything people do leaves an electronic trail now. Presumably that money was drawn out at a cashpoint, in which case it might be possible to check where and when it happened. Maybe there were CCTV cameras pointed at the cashpoint at the time. Or, it may have been used to order something to an address which you might be able to find out. Finding out who did this may be possible.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    They won't give you any compensation or any other help as because this was your fault :-/ but you can try anyway and then contact the police
    • 44 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you don't ring the bank, they won't put a stop on the card and you could end up losing all the rest of your money. Do it now.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I just rang them and they can't refund the money, as you guys said. The woman didn't even ask about pin numbers though until I mentioned I had wrote it down, so I think they would have done it I have hadn't spoken up Thanks for the help though guys.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why did they only take 160 pounds? What a weird thing to do.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melikeyflute)
    Why did they only take 160 pounds? What a weird thing to do.
    I only had £90 taken. They booked a hotel using my card. The same weekend I'd booked a hotel a few hundred miles away.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adam543)
    I just rang them and they can't refund the money, as you guys said. The woman didn't even ask about pin numbers though until I mentioned I had wrote it down, so I think they would have done it I have hadn't spoken up Thanks for the help though guys.
    What did she say
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raja1988)
    What did she say
    Oh, loads of things, I was on the phone for about 25 minutes with her. Basically went through security questions, where it was, how much was taken, latest transactions etc. I think she was about to say she was going to find out what she could do for me, and and then I said "oh, I had the pin written down in the wallet that I lost the card in" and she went quite and said "let me speak to my manager".
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    How did they manage to withdraw that money unless you had your pin number with the card, in which case they might look down on it somewhat.. otherwise it should be reimbursed as it was lost through fraud...i think :rolleyes:
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    You put your pin in your wallet? I think you need more help than Halifax could ever offer you.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 30, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.