Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Student housing. What do you regret not doing on the first day

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Live webchat: Myths and facts on Student Finance - on TSR from 2pm! 15-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    not university accommodation or private student accomodation.... i mean renting a house, having a landlord etc

1)
    like the title says, was there anything you wished you knew if you had the chance to go back in time to the point where you first moved in?

2)
    i talked to an advisor from my uni who deals with this kind of stuff, the way say she made it out, it gave me the impression that life in halls is a constant battle of power between you and the landlord regarding not getting ripped off and making sure broken crap gets fixed. Is this the actual reality?

3)
    Also, regarding council tax, uni students to my knowledge dont need to pay for it, but i heard that if it not known that you are at uni, then a simple form can be submitted. but what i want to know is when do you first know? how do you know? if concerning authorities dont know you are a uni student, do they just send you a letter or something asking to pay?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    1. Took more photos of damage etc. (Although most of it was caused by my current housemates.)

Or ran away and lived with the people I wanted to live with

2. Not for all, but unfortunately there are a lot of dodgy landlords out there. Make sure your money is in a tenancy deposit scheme (it's the law) to avoid being ripped off at the end of your contract.

3. Does your uni have a student registry or something? They should just print you a form saying xx is a student here from yy-yy and stamp and date it. You simply post/email/fax it to your local council. If you're unsure give them a ring
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilangel890)
    1. Took more photos of damage etc. (Although most of it was caused by my current housemates.)

Or ran away and lived with the people I wanted to live with

2. Not for all, but unfortunately there are a lot of dodgy landlords out there. Make sure your money is in a tenancy deposit scheme (it's the law) to avoid being ripped off at the end of your contract.

3. Does your uni have a student registry or something? They should just print you a form saying xx is a student here from yy-yy and stamp and date it. You simply post/email/fax it to your local council. If you're unsure give them a ring
    ahh i was told about getting pictures to. i suppose because mine is individual let, that means i should only take photos (with date stamp) of my room and communal areas (e.g. sitting room/toilet etc), given that these should be the only thing i could be responsible for, not my housemates rooms.

with tenancy deposit scheme, never heard of it, but ill be sure to mention it to my uni advisor when i go back for second year. should get some help making sure i know how to get this and make sure the landlord abides by the law

well they said it shouldnt be a problem, but if there is, i know i can hop over to them and get a pink form from them to submit

i will miss living in uni accommodation
    loved the unlimited electricity... but meh...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dmon1Unlimited)
    ahh i was told about getting pictures to. i suppose because mine is individual let, that means i should only take photos (with date stamp) of my room and communal areas (e.g. sitting room/toilet etc), given that these should be the only thing i could be responsible for, not my housemates rooms.

with tenancy deposit scheme, never heard of it, but ill be sure to mention it to my uni advisor when i go back for second year. should get some help making sure i know how to get this and make sure the landlord abides by the law

well they said it shouldnt be a problem, but if there is, i know i can hop over to them and get a pink form from them to submit

i will miss living in uni accommodation
    loved the unlimited electricity... but meh...
    Yeah you don't need to worry about other people's bedrooms if you are definitely on an individual contract (each person had to sign a separate one with their name only)

Google it. It's everywhere. Basically it's a 'place' where your deposit it put by the landlord and you and the landlord get certificates showing it's been stored. At the end of the tenancy if there are any disputes over the deposit, noone can get the money until an agreement has been resolved.

Yup, trust me, bills are one of the major sources of arguments in shared houses. At least in halls you don't have to worry!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 1, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.