Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

History PGCE

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
Interview discussion rules - please read before posting! 12-01-2013
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys

It's my first post here as I have been looking for some information regarding the possibility of studying for a Secondary PGCE however history is really the only subject that interests me greatly, and I know competition is tough.

I'm 33 now and have recently decided I need a new and more worthwhile career. I have been studying for a Psychology degree but to be honest I dont really have the passion for it so I have considered switching my Open University degree to History and then applying for a PGCE. The thing is, due to financial commitments, I cant see myself being able to afford to take a year off to do the course full-time and I cant see many part-time History PGCE courses - do they exist, and if so how hard is it to get one one?

I was also wondering what you guys thought of my chances of getting on a course and finding a job at my age, and with no prior experience of teaching or particularly of young people? Would it help to volunteer for programmes etc duering the years I will be studying for my degree so I can get a head start? I would appeciate any advice.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    You can do a PGCE with the OU too, you may be able to do that over a longer period of time, however placements will have to be full time regardless.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I
    (Original post by Times_Champion)
    Hi guys

It's my first post here as I have been looking for some information regarding the possibility of studying for a Secondary PGCE however history is really the only subject that interests me greatly, and I know competition is tough.

I'm 33 now and have recently decided I need a new and more worthwhile career. I have been studying for a Psychology degree but to be honest I dont really have the passion for it so I have considered switching my Open University degree to History and then applying for a PGCE. The thing is, due to financial commitments, I cant see myself being able to afford to take a year off to do the course full-time and I cant see many part-time History PGCE courses - do they exist, and if so how hard is it to get one one?

I was also wondering what you guys thought of my chances of getting on a course and finding a job at my age, and with no prior experience of teaching or particularly of young people? Would it help to volunteer for programmes etc duering the years I will be studying for my degree so I can get a head start? I would appeciate any advice.
    I can't speak for the OU but otherwise no, there are no part time options for history. Relatively speaking few places offer it, you can do a course search on the gttr website.

You're right it is very competitive (I've been told that English and history pgces are the most over subscribed) so you would need some classroom experience to discuss in an interview. It doesn't have to be a lot, just to show you have some idea about teaching and education. You would need to have at least 50% of your degree in history to stand a chance. Good luck!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your help guys. Unfortunately I dont think a full time PGCE would be financially possible for me at this stage with a family and the OU dont do a History PGCE, besides which the Open University have said I am probably too far along my Psychology degree route to be able to get a loan to cover a switch to History so it looks like i'm stuckm at least for now. :mad:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Times_Champion, do not despair!

The School Direct programme will come into force from September 2013, which is a replacement for the GTP and will provide paid training places solely for career changers. This would be a much better option for you than a PGCE. The training is delivered in a school of your choosing (subject to being accepted of course!) and you will get paid enough to live on - not a fortune - but enough to survive, certainly.

Here's the information:

http://www.education.gov.uk/get-into.../school-direct

Also, I'm sure that you can take modules from other subjects as part of your degree - have a look into this. You could perhaps take a few History courses and end up getting a joint degree without needing to start all over again.

Where there's a will, there's a way! If you want this badly enough, you can make it happen!

Good luck!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Times_Champion)
    Thanks for your help guys. Unfortunately I dont think a full time PGCE would be financially possible for me at this stage with a family and the OU dont do a History PGCE, besides which the Open University have said I am probably too far along my Psychology degree route to be able to get a loan to cover a switch to History so it looks like i'm stuckm at least for now. :mad:
    My mum has just finished her degree and while she was studying she got full housing benefit and about £9000 in various loans and grants. I know it's not a fortune but she managed to feed a family of three and has not had any problems with bills or anything so I would make sure you aren't overlooking any financial help you may be entitled to. Best of luck, I really hope you find a way to train.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    If its anything like GTP though, its IMPOSSIBLE to find any history places. I have a family too and obvs couldn't move away but its not a shortage subject and I couldn't find any!

Just a warning! Perhaps because Gove is pushing it so much it might change.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: July 3, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.