Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

M1 q.

Announcements Posted on
What are your mock exam revision tips?! Share them with our year 10 & 11 students! 19-11-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    A ball is projected upwards from a point which is 4m above the ground with speed 18ms^-1 find:

a)The speed of the ball when it is 15m above its point of projection
    b)The speed with which the balls hits the ground

So I drew a diagram and I tried to attempt this question a different way than what the book did:

I ignored the red particle and started from the green:

from the green I said u = 0, a = 9.8 and s = 19 and found the velocity to be 19.29

I then done it another way with u = 18, a = -9.8 and s = -4 and I get the velocity to be about 20ms^-1

these two are very similar so im not sure whats going wrong

EDIT: I realised that for some reason i'm assuming that the 15m is its maximum distance, is this why they are different?
    • 35 followers

(Original post by thorn0123)
    EDIT: I realised that for some reason i'm assuming that the 15m is its maximum distance, is this why they are different?
    Yes. At 15m its speed is 5.48 m/s (3 sig.fig.)
    • 46 followers

ReputationRep:
    A ball is projected upwards from a point which is 4m above the ground with speed 18ms^-1 find:

So I drew a diagram and I tried to attempt this question a different way than what the book did:

from the green I said u = 0, a = 9.8 and s = 19 and found the velocity to be 19.29

I then done it another way with u = 18, a = -9.8 and s = -4 and I get the velocity to be about 20ms^-1

Your thinking is correct, 15m isn't the max distance.

You have assumed the speed to be zero when the particle is 19m above the ground, while this is not the case, its speed at that instant is  \sqrt{30}

EDIT: Beaten to it!
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:

a) The mistake you made here was to assume that S is the distance from the ground, it isn't, it is the displacement.

S= 15
    U=18
    V=To be found <--Up is positive
    A=-9.8
    T=Unknown

V^2=U^2+2as
    V^2=294
    V=17.1ms-1

b)

S=-4
    U=18
    V=To be found <---upwards is positive
    A=-9.8
    T=Unknown

V^2=U^2+2as
    V^2=402.4
    V=20.1ms-1

I hope my calculations are right, I used a pathetic calculator on my computer!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiggyTopes)
    a) The mistake you made here was to assume that S is the distance from the ground, it isn't, it is the distance travelled.
    Actually, both answers were for part (b)... And if something goes up, comes down, and hits the ground, S is the distance from the ground, not distance traveled.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aznkid66)
    Actually, both answers were for part (b)... And if something goes up, comes down, and hits the ground, S is the distance from the ground, not distance traveled.
    I'm sorry, I meant displacement! Schoolboy error!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 30, 2012
New on TSR

A-level mocks revision

Chat about your study tips

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.