Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is Anyone Confused As To What Their Nationality Is??

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madders94)
    I get the accent difficulties when I'm speaking English to English people, they say I have a Welsh accent, when I'm speaking Welsh to Welsh people (and English people), they say I have a West Mids accent
    A west mids accent?? When you're speaking welsh? Now this I have to hear!
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IAmTheKing)
    A west mids accent?? When you're speaking welsh? Now this I have to hear!
    I can't hear it that well so I think it's fading, but I still get comments on it. I was fluent in Welsh by three, a year after moving from the West Midlands so my accent was still really strong, now THAT was funny to hear
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm British with Irish ancestry.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madders94)
    I get the accent difficulties when I'm speaking English to English people, they say I have a Welsh accent, when I'm speaking Welsh to Welsh people (and English people), they say I have a West Mids accent
    this!
    I live in Newcastle, and when I'm here everyone just says I talk 'posh' or have a 'southern' accent, but then when I've been in London visiting friends they say I sound geordie! I guess I'll never really know.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You're Irish OP.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't be.

You are what you are, do not let anyone label you as what you should be.

Race, is just used as statistics nowadays, I would not pay attention to it.

All you have to do is be proud of whomever you are.

Good Luck
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    A lot interesting stories on here thanks guys.

Interesting that so many people have moved around and can understand that its not always about where you are born (far too simplistic IMO) but how you feel personally.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was born in London, lived in London for 10 years. Moved to York (bleugh), been there for 7 years.

My mum is fully Belgian. My dad is English, with Jewish background. But still English.

I have a Belgian passport. But I've never lived in Belgium.

So, there we go - who am I...?

Oh, also, I speak no Flemish (obviously I know some words) and my only language is English.

Most of you will just say "oh he's Belgian (the passport)" but look at my life!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dollygirl)
    this!
    I live in Newcastle, and when I'm here everyone just says I talk 'posh' or have a 'southern' accent, but then when I've been in London visiting friends they say I sound geordie! I guess I'll never really know.
    I feel so sorry for you! I'm from London, talking NORMALLY. When I'm up in York, they say I'm posh. And when I go back to London (it's worn off now) the used to say I was a northerner!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annie72)
    I'm British with Irish ancestry.
    Dude, no offense, but you're either Irish, Welsh, Scottish or English. Don't say British!
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpingjesusholycow)
    "Oh, I'm a quarter Oyy-rish, I'm basically from Dublin"..
    lol, I find this adorable

I've a mate from Dublin and he's just awesome; humble, friendly and helpful - what more could you ask from a friend?

But he gave us the :lolwut: if we asked him anything that's related to England as if he's a native lol.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)
    I think it verges on the ridiculous for someone who was, say, born and bred in London to then claim they're Irish via their parents.
    Why? If they identify at least in part with Irish culture why would that be ridiculous?
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm English before I'm British

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrBlueMo0n)
    Dude, no offense, but you're either Irish, Welsh, Scottish or English. Don't say British!
    Why not? :confused: Someone can consider themselves British if they want.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    im half asian half lebanese
    born in britain,
    some people from here say you british.
    some people say **** off your not british

im confused as **** right about now
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I know how this feels.

I was born in London to an English mother and an Irish father. We moved to Ireland when I was 4 where I lived until I was 18. At 18 I moved to Wales where I have been living for the last 2 and a half years.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    But you can't! You can be a British citizen if you want, and basically you are. But you have a nationality, and it's not British, because that's not a nationality!
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    But you can't! You can be a British citizen if you want, and basically you are. But you have a nationality, and it's not British, because that's not a nationality!
    Why isn't it a nationality?

My passport begs to differ:

(Original post by my passport)
    Nationality: British citizen
    Nationality does have a legal definition and according to that definition, British is a nationality and English/Welsh/Scottish/Northern Irish are not. Outside of the legal definition, then surely nationality can be whatever you want as it's whatever "nation" you identify with. And some people might identify more strongly with the UK as a whole and consider that to be their "nation" rather than any particular region of it.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    I've been researching a little, and maybe you can call yourself British (officially). I wasn't saying before that you're not allowed, I was thinking more along the lines of it not being technically correct.

You know what, I'm still not sure.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've been researching a little, and maybe you can call yourself British (officially). I wasn't saying before that you're not allowed, I was thinking more along the lines of it not being technically correct.

You know what, I'm still not sure.
    Well there's nothing "technically" incorrect about it. If anything, saying your nationality is "English" is technically incorrect as under the technical legal definition, there is no such thing as English nationality.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: July 26, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.