Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is Anyone Confused As To What Their Nationality Is??

Announcements Posted on
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chloemo14)
    Have you read anything about third culture kids? It's a phenomenon familiar in kids who grow up in a different country to that of their parent's origin, usually for work related reasons, and the displacement/lack of belonging you describe is a key feature. Might be interesting to look into that more?
    I'm a super third culture kid My father is from Hong Kong, mother from Indonesia and I spent my youth and teenage years in Malaysia and now I'm living in the UK

But I never get confused with my nationality :confused: I'm Indonesian, because that's what my passport says. Cultural identity is of course, a completely different story.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asparkyn)
    I'm a super third culture kid My father is from Hong Kong, mother from Indonesia and I spent my youth and teenage years in Malaysia and now I'm living in the UK

But I never get confused with my nationality :confused: I'm Indonesian, because that's what my passport says. Cultural identity is of course, a completely different story.
    Hey! Same my father is from Hong Kong too! But he moved to the UK when he was like 5 and went back over on holiday then met my mum who was from Shenzhen so really close to HK yet I was born in the UK and lived in the UK all my life so when people ask I'm not too sure what to say because my scottish accent and my black hair confuses me tbh so I just say I was born in Scotland :P My passport says Im british though?

Why though do you consider yourself indonesian? Also, you speak canto?
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magenta1)
    Hey! Same my father is from Hong Kong too! But he moved to the UK when he was like 5 and went back over on holiday then met my mum who was from Shenzhen so really close to HK yet I was born in the UK and lived in the UK all my life so when people ask I'm not too sure what to say because my scottish accent and my black hair confuses me tbh so I just say I was born in Scotland :P My passport says Im british though?

Why though do you consider yourself indonesian? Also, you speak canto?
    Hai there fellow Hong Kong-er! :cool: I think you can call yourself British or Scottish, whichever you want to, really.

I consider myself Indonesian because of cultural reasons: I was born there, and Indonesian is my native language , and also because my Indonesian side of the family is much more like "family" to me than my Hong Kong side will ever be. Because of that I feel much more "Indonesian" than anything else, really. I am also a little ashamed to admit that I come from Hong Kong because I don't speak Cantonese (do you?), even though I speak Mandarin, because I lived in Malaysia

Third culture kids ftw!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hai there fellow Hong Kong-er! :cool: I think you can call yourself British or Scottish, whichever you want to, really.

I consider myself Indonesian because of cultural reasons: I was born there, and Indonesian is my native language , and also because my Indonesian side of the family is much more like "family" to me than my Hong Kong side will ever be. Because of that I feel much more "Indonesian" than anything else, really. I am also a little ashamed to admit that I come from Hong Kong because I don't speak Cantonese (do you?), even though I speak Mandarin, because I lived in Malaysia

Third culture kids ftw!
    Yeah Im british according to my passport Ohh soz didnt realise you were born in Indonesia lol as I was born in Scotland haha oh thats why im considered british (silly me lol) :P ohh lol so where do you live now? Wow no i speak canto and english haha mandarin is too hard to learn tbh BUT if i had the choice before I'd probs wish i learnt mandarin as more people speak mandarin than canto... You speak indonesian (soz im proper stupid so i dont know what they speak in indonesia)??

When i was in HK like over a week ago, lots of indonesians were employed by HK people as like helpers lol just a thought since you are both

Btw what do you look like then? do you have black hair? are you tall? haha :P and hell to the yeah!
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah Im british according to my passport Ohh soz didnt realise you were born in Indonesia lol as I was born in Scotland haha oh thats why im considered british (silly me lol) :P ohh lol so where do you live now? Wow no i speak canto and english haha mandarin is too hard to learn tbh BUT if i had the choice before I'd probs wish i learnt mandarin as more people speak mandarin than canto... You speak indonesian (soz im proper stupid so i dont know what they speak in indonesia)??

When i was in HK like over a week ago, lots of indonesians were employed by HK people as like helpers lol just a thought since you are both

Btw what do you look like then? do you have black hair? are you tall? haha :P and hell to the yeah!
    I know about those maids :P I'm in Hong Kong now and I see them all the time. I don't really look like them, really (they tend to be short, have browner skin and curly hair and big pretty eyes) because I'm a Chinese (ish) Indonesian. I have straight black hair and I'm of average height -- I'm darker than the average Chinese and have larger eyes, but that's characteristic of South-east Asian Chinese people in general compared to people from Mainland China. I don't know how else to describe me

Yeah, I speak Indonesian. I wish I spoke Canto though, it would come in handy because I'm living here now!!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I know about those maids :P I'm in Hong Kong now and I see them all the time. I don't really look like them, really (they tend to be short, have browner skin and curly hair and big pretty eyes) because I'm a Chinese (ish) Indonesian. I have straight black hair and I'm of average height -- I'm darker than the average Chinese and have larger eyes, but that's characteristic of South-east Asian Chinese people in general compared to people from Mainland China. I don't know how else to describe me

Yeah, I speak Indonesian. I wish I spoke Canto though, it would come in handy because I'm living here now!!
    Yeah see I dont know what to call them lol I thought they were 'slaves' haha :P yeah maids thats the word ive been looking for! OMFG really? I just got back and miss it like crap Just miss the sun and people and food... Yeah my auntie's really good friend had one and i spoke to her and she spoke ok english ( i was glad someone could speak english lol) but she was from the phillipines. Same straight black hair ftw! Im actually quite lucky as my dad has a whiter version of chinese skin colour and I got that gene too so when I go back people are like where are you from? then im like Scotland and theyre like no wonder, you're so white ( i was in shorts) and im like umm...

Cool whats Indonesian like? Bit like mandarin or more like canto? And lol :P
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sharpshooter)
    Is anyone else confused as to what their nationality is?? Ok a little life summary:

I was born in England (Wallingford in Oxfordshire) to Irish parents
    I moved to Harrow, London at the age of 1
    Moved to Ipswich at the age of 6
    Moved Omagh, Northern Ireland at the age 14

I admit I was a proud plastic paddy, I was brought up to support Ireland during the "Jack Charlton" days during 90s. My parents encouraged me to, bought me Ireland tops etc and never really supported England.

A lot of my childhood friends in England also considered me Irish and stated that I couldn't be English. A lot of my friends fathers used to be in the British army/former paratroopers/SAS members and held quite anti Irish views, some serving in Northern Ireland. One father refused to let me into his house because I wore a Republic of Ireland shirt.

I don't think I could ever call myself English/British, because I believe a lot English I grew up with wouldn't allow me too and see me blatantly as nothing else other than Irish. I appreciate a lot of blacks and asians who proudly call themeselves English/British, passing the Tebbit test which I didn't, but I have this paranoia and suspicion a lot of English people would call me Irish again if I went there etc. Theres this underlying feeling that if you're not White Anglo Saxon Protestant (WASP) you can't be English. Now I dont think like but believe secretly a large percentage of the population do in my paranoid brain.

I moved to Northern Ireland at age 14 Im nearly 26 now and still speak with an English accent. I got called "English bastard" etc when I came here, ridiculed everytime England did badly in sport (everytime I said I didn't support England). Even because of the religious situation here everyone thought I was a protestant (even though my parents are catholics). So I lost my sense of Irishness obviously a bit as I'm a "blow in" lol. I don't really support Ireland as much, but still don't support England either as I don't see myself as English.

I've learned to come to accept I have no nationailty. I've moved around too much and have kinda been rejected by both countries. I love football, but can't support anyone at euro 2012, only for fun or for players of countries I like. Its like this for every sport.

I hold both British and Irish passports.

Does anyone else feel confused as to what their nationality is? Like I support anyone now although theres a good chance I'll be living in Ireland for the rest of my life. Anyone?

Well I'm Sri Lankan, was born there, moved to Germany as a baby, then to the UK in my early teens. So I'm more confused than you are. But it doesn't bother me in the slightest, I'm me and that's enough for me.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah see I dont know what to call them lol I thought they were 'slaves' haha :P yeah maids thats the word ive been looking for! OMFG really? I just got back and miss it like crap Just miss the sun and people and food... Yeah my auntie's really good friend had one and i spoke to her and she spoke ok english ( i was glad someone could speak english lol) but she was from the phillipines. Same straight black hair ftw! Im actually quite lucky as my dad has a whiter version of chinese skin colour and I got that gene too so when I go back people are like where are you from? then im like Scotland and theyre like no wonder, you're so white ( i was in shorts) and im like umm...

Cool whats Indonesian like? Bit like mandarin or more like canto? And lol :P
    Filipino maids speak English, so they usually serve families with younger children who want their children to grow up speaking English. Indonesians usually work for families with elders or older people -- because most Indonesians who come to Hong Kong to work in this sector come from villages and they speak no English, so they're forced to learn Cantonese. Which is why you always hear Indonesian maids being fluent in Cantonese but Filipinos not speaking any.

Good for you, haha. I don't know, it's such an Asian thing to want white skin, I'm perfectly happy with my warm golden-brown, hah.

Slight question, how good is your Cantonese? I mean, you've grown up in the UK all your life, so this is just a curious question. Do you have an accent? I'm interested in languages so I want to know, kinda

Indonesian sounds completely different, it's very fast and kind of staccato-y (because we speak too fast, I've been told I sound like a drill, haha) but the language itself is quite smooth.

This woman sounds sarcastic here, because she's complaining about something :cool: She's actually speaking quite slowly here, which is surprising. Indonesians FTW
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Filipino maids speak English, so they usually serve families with younger children who want their children to grow up speaking English. Indonesians usually work for families with elders or older people -- because most Indonesians who come to Hong Kong to work in this sector come from villages and they speak no English, so they're forced to learn Cantonese. Which is why you always hear Indonesian maids being fluent in Cantonese but Filipinos not speaking any.

Good for you, haha. I don't know, it's such an Asian thing to want white skin, I'm perfectly happy with my warm golden-brown, hah.

Slight question, how good is your Cantonese? I mean, you've grown up in the UK all your life, so this is just a curious question. Do you have an accent? I'm interested in languages so I want to know, kinda

Indonesian sounds completely different, it's very fast and kind of staccato-y (because we speak too fast, I've been told I sound like a drill, haha) but the language itself is quite smooth.

This woman sounds sarcastic here, because she's complaining about something :cool: She's actually speaking quite slowly here, which is surprising. Indonesians FTW
    Ahh makes sense as she had two daughters aged 5 and 6, btw are the indonesian maids darker than filipino ones? There are the darker maids but im not too sure where they come from? Lol Im just lucky as my brother is darker and he's like the normal golden brown colour lol and someone asked me "why is your brother darker than you" and i was just like erm... Also, ive noticed white people like to be tanned and tanned people like to be white yet racism still exists so its like why are you offending them when you want the colour of their skin??

Erm i would say not too bad? However, i dont know all them chinese phrases and sayings but i can hold a convo with someone for more than 5 mins haha :P
    It's because my parents speak canto at home since i was born and i learn english at school so my canto isnt missing out if you know what i mean?

I think canto all sonuds the same tbh, dont think theres an accent? As when i went to HK this person talked to me (we were in a jewellery shop so i think its maybe polite to chat with your customers?) and when she found out i was from UK she was like wow your canto is quite good, you dont have an accent or anything so I guess no i dont have an accent?

What about indonesian? Do you have different accents? And do they have an alphabet? Cool are you studying languages at uni? if so which ones?

Omg you call that slow?? i was lost at the first second haha but i guess because i dont understand the language thats what it sounds like so if it was you listening to me speak canto you'd probs be like what?? :P

So its quite hard to know canto and learn indonesian then? So out of curiosity what languages do your parents speak and what do you speak at home? Do you have family in both indonesia and HK?
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ahh makes sense as she had two daughters aged 5 and 6, btw are the indonesian maids darker than filipino ones? There are the darker maids but im not too sure where they come from? Lol Im just lucky as my brother is darker and he's like the normal golden brown colour lol and someone asked me "why is your brother darker than you" and i was just like erm... Also, ive noticed white people like to be tanned and tanned people like to be white yet racism still exists so its like why are you offending them when you want the colour of their skin??

Erm i would say not too bad? However, i dont know all them chinese phrases and sayings but i can hold a convo with someone for more than 5 mins haha :P
    It's because my parents speak canto at home since i was born and i learn english at school so my canto isnt missing out if you know what i mean?

I think canto all sonuds the same tbh, dont think theres an accent? As when i went to HK this person talked to me (we were in a jewellery shop so i think its maybe polite to chat with your customers?) and when she found out i was from UK she was like wow your canto is quite good, you dont have an accent or anything so I guess no i dont have an accent?

What about indonesian? Do you have different accents? And do they have an alphabet? Cool are you studying languages at uni? if so which ones?

Omg you call that slow?? i was lost at the first second haha but i guess because i dont understand the language thats what it sounds like so if it was you listening to me speak canto you'd probs be like what?? :P

So its quite hard to know canto and learn indonesian then? So out of curiosity what languages do your parents speak and what do you speak at home? Do you have family in both indonesia and HK?
    There are accents in Cantonese People in Malaysia (especially in the capital) speak Cantonese and it sounds completely different to the Cantonese in Hong Kong or Guangdong, much less sophisticated and more Malaysian-y. We've got way too many accents in Indonesia, we've got 700 different ethnic groups and each have their own language so naturally they import that into Indonesian. I'd say standard Indonesian is pretty standard, but even in different parts of the capital we have all sorts of different accents. I think so yeah, Indo maids tend to be darker .. but that's because they're of a certain ethnic group ... we have a range of skin tones in my country.

My mother speaks to me in Indonesian and Bangka (a local language from the island she comes from) and my father speaks to me in Indonesian (he could've taught me Canto but nooo). I've listened to enough Cantonese to be able to understand it though so I probably won't be lost if you speak to me

I'm doing Spanish at uni, along with Politics. I'm a language nerd :P
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    it'll be a tough job unravellin ur nationality mystery

but m sure about my nationality as i havent visited any country at the moment. :d
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    There are accents in Cantonese People in Malaysia (especially in the capital) speak Cantonese and it sounds completely different to the Cantonese in Hong Kong or Guangdong, much less sophisticated and more Malaysian-y. We've got way too many accents in Indonesia, we've got 700 different ethnic groups and each have their own language so naturally they import that into Indonesian. I'd say standard Indonesian is pretty standard, but even in different parts of the capital we have all sorts of different accents. I think so yeah, Indo maids tend to be darker .. but that's because they're of a certain ethnic group ... we have a range of skin tones in my country.

My mother speaks to me in Indonesian and Bangka (a local language from the island she comes from) and my father speaks to me in Indonesian (he could've taught me Canto but nooo). I've listened to enough Cantonese to be able to understand it though so I probably won't be lost if you speak to me

I'm doing Spanish at uni, along with Politics. I'm a language nerd :P
    Really lol? Didn't know that haha :P Really? So they speak cantonese in Malaysia too? Yeah my mum speak hakka from her 'village' and she always wants us to learn but tbh I think it's a dying language no offence and if I had to learn a language I would rather it be mandarin or french haha

So what language(s) do you learn at school then? Is everything taught in english? Yay! Btw someone from another thread told me canto is the hardest language to learn?? I was surprised as I thought it was mandarin??

Ooh that's quite a good mix haha and lol I really like learning new languages, like I think it's cool if you can speak to several types of people in different countries and communicate using them all but I guess I never tried hard enough to learn as I tend to know bits of one language but not in enough depth lol but languages has always fascinated me! I'd like to learn better french and start mandarin haha and maybe improve my canto :P Wbu do you want to learn canto?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 26, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.