Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

WHY doesn't Britain ban the burka?

Announcements Posted on
The News & Current Affairs and Society forums need more moderators! 20-04-2014
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crocker710)
    Yeah there's a difference between following a trend against a religion and one religion only (which you claim is a good enough reason for it to be enacted in Britain) and ensuring that every citizen has basic human rights.
    I never claimed such a trend is morally just, I made a comment on my surprise that Britain has not followed the trend in Europe - which it usually does, especially when it follows British public opinion. I provided a view that it is not following the trend out of an adherence to freedom of expression but due to fear of a backlash. In my opinion, if the risk of such a backlash did not exist - it is likely a burka ban would be pushed through Parliament within the next decade.

Post script.
    You're a moron.

Post post script.
    You're still a moron.
    Ah yes, resorting to ad hominem attacks when you are incapable of providing a credible counter-argument.

It's amusing that your pseudo-intellectual use of post script is then followed by the type of playground insult I would expect to see on a Miley Cyrus forum. :teehee:
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    If someone wants to wear the Burka it's their choice not one that should be made by people who don't even consider wearing it. Some people are fearful of women who wear Burka's but I don't understand why they cannot just look online or in a book and research it. It's just a woman wearing a long black garment not an axe murderer. And finally Islam doesn't force people to wear the Burka some people funnily enough have faith in in Allah and choose to show it by wearing a Burka, just like some christians wear cross around their necks. Islam is the peaceful submission to Allah it's a very peaceful religion.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    because there are too many hot girls in England so there needs to be a balance.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    do people post bull**** on this site on purpose? seriously, I think about 40% of the things posted on here are just for a reaction. I'm getting bored of this site now and might not come back.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    Our Muslims are a lot more insular and radical than other countries in Europe. They have more moderate Muslims from places like Turkey and Morocco, whereas most of ours are from the Indian subcontinent. Personally I quite like the burkha, it is a good indicator of whether the male head of the house is a fanatic nutcase or not, so I can avoid them. I just wish they'd legalise public nudity to be fair to both sides.
    Really? Muslims from the Indian subcontinent are more radical and insular? That explains a lot about my mother and father who hardly ever pray, fast or even talk about religion and don't even wear clothing that relates to the "Islamic dress code". Also, there are women out there who have no husbands or any male relatives but they choose to wear the burka. So please explain how the burka is an indicator of whether the male head of the house is a fanatic nutcase or not?
    • 13 followers

Because it isn't fair. We haven't got a burqa problem here.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's not even required. Even if it was I'd still ban it.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snagprophet)
    It's not even required. Even if it was I'd still ban it.
    Thankfully, no one cares about what you think.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's called freedom ,each one of us has the right to express ourselves without effecting others.Will seeing a woman walking down the street wearing Burka effect you in any way ?and if it does can you please tell me how and why ?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    It shouldn't be banned by law, but institutions should have the right to ban it in their premises imo. (like the school that turned away the niqab wearer at parents evening)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Last_Melon)
    Because it isn't fair. We haven't got a burqa problem here.
    opressing women isnt fair. ontopic: because the uk is run by pussies.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whatever9999)
    It's called freedom ,each one of us has the right to express ourselves without effecting others.Will seeing a woman walking down the street wearing Burka effect you in any way ?and if it does can you please tell me how and why ?
    yep, pollution of landscape. And how do you know its a woman in the veil ealking. btw? there have been incidents in the past where muslims used the burka to rob a jewellry or to flee the country
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord-Voldemort)
    But why should the government then dictate what people wear on other issues and people not including Muslim women (which it does)?
    apart from walking into a bank with a balaclava. oops!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randomguy786)
    Because it's denying basic human rights, Freedom of Religion.
    Its at least 6 times in the koran that non muslims should be killed. So i take it you agree that murder should be allowed, under the umbrrella of ' freedom of religion' ?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it should be banned completley, people can choose what to wear but I can see why it could be justified to ban the burqa in certain places. For example airports, banks etc not to discriminate against religion but because of security reasons (i.e not being able to see faces on CCTV etc). Just in the same way motorcycle helmets and hoodies are banned in certain places because of security.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    Our Muslims are a lot more insular and radical than other countries in Europe. They have more moderate Muslims from places like Turkey and Morocco, whereas most of ours are from the Indian subcontinent. Personally I quite like the burkha, it is a good indicator of whether the male head of the house is a fanatic nutcase or not, so I can avoid them. I just wish they'd legalise public nudity to be fair to both sides.
    You don't personally know any women wearing the burka so stop assuming..
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    It shouldn't be banned universally, but banned wherever someone would need to be identified i.e. a bank.

And dispense with the whole "go into a back room with a female member of staff to check your identity" rubbish. Simply taking it off, letting them check and putting it back on should suffice - no one cares what you look like, the only person making an issue out of it is the burka wearer.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    This isn't a case of Religious freedom due to the fact that it isn't a religious requirement. I don't have a problem with full-face veils in public, yeah i find it a bit weird but each to their own. But I definitely agree to the argument that they shouldn't be allowed in banks etc, where covering your face is otherwise not allowed.

Reminds me of the legal battle the Sikhs got into not long ago regarding the carrying of their Kirpan (knife/sword). I don't see why religious/cultural views should give you immunity from the law.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because it would go against the freedom of the country.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randomguy786)
    Because it's denying basic human rights, Freedom of Religion.
    If this was the case then ECHR would act, which isn't the case in any of European countries so I beg to differ. I don't believe the UK should dictated what clothing there citizen should wear. However in some circumstance you need to identify who the persons is but this clothing prevents that.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: August 18, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.