Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in for personalised advice on applying to uni New here? Join for free to post

When to send my UCAS application?

Announcements Posted on
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi, soon I will be writing my personal statement and completing my UCAS application but wasn't sure when to send it off.

I have read on the internet that non-Oxbridge top unis don't like Oxbridge applicants and often reject them. They supposedly find this out by looking at when you submit your application. If you submit it before the 15th of October, then they assume that you've applied to Oxbridge, in which case they don't like you. This is just what I've read, I'm not sure whether it actually happens.

Applications submission opens in 'mid-September' (according to the UCAS website) and I was also told that early applications stand the best chance of acceptance.

So my dilemma is that I don't know when to apply. I am not applying to Oxbridge but also obviously want to get offers from my choices. I don't know when to apply; too early and the unis I apply to may think I'm applying to Oxbridge too, but too late and my application will have a much higher chance of being rejected. :confused:

Any help appreciated.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uttamo)
    Hi, soon I will be writing my personal statement and completing my UCAS application but wasn't sure when to send it off.

I have read on the internet that non-Oxbridge top unis don't like Oxbridge applicants and often reject them. They supposedly find this out by looking at when you submit your application. If you submit it before the 15th of October, then they assume that you've applied to Oxbridge, in which case they don't like you. This is just what I've read, I'm not sure whether it actually happens.

Applications submission opens in 'mid-September' (according to the UCAS website) and I was also told that early applications stand the best chance of acceptance.

So my dilemma is that I don't know when to apply. I am not applying to Oxbridge but also obviously want to get offers from my choices. I don't know when to apply; too early and the unis I apply to may think I'm applying to Oxbridge too, but too late and my application will have a much higher chance of being rejected. :confused:

Any help appreciated.
    The Oxbridge rumour is just that a rumour. It's most likely been concocted by people rejected from non-Oxbridge universities, but accepted at Oxbridge and who were livid at being rejected. With regards to when to submit it, I'd say when you're ready really.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:

Any help appreciated.
    The rejecting Oxbridge rumour is just a rumour, but if it makes you feel happier apply on October 16th.

Make sure you're completely happy with it before submitting it, though. Later but better is preferable to earlier but of poor quality.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    Now. Right this very moment. If you don't show your potential for greatness and your overachiever personality by sending off your application before the submissions open, the great god UCAS will kill you and send you to a special level of the underworld reserved especially for people like you.

... I applied after October 15th and got offers from all of mine so I don't think that waiting a month will impact your potential of getting offers too badly, and it gives you extra time to perfect your PS. I doubt it's true about other unis rejecting applicants just because the applied before October 15th though.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

Any help appreciated.
    I sent mine off on Sept 28th and didn't apply for Oxbridge and got offers from all 5 unis, so I don't think it affects your chances too much! Don't rush your application- there's no point applying early if it's not completely perfect! Also, many universities wait until January to look through applications, so as long as you've applied by the deadline, you'll be fine

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 30, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.