Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

In need of a little reassurance :(

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I'm 18 years old and I have a slight hearing impairment. I've just started work at Domino's pizza, I thought I'd taken to it really well as I could hear all the people on the phones okay until one woman rang with quite a difficult order and she was really softly spoken. I was trying to put it through until she said 'i'm not being funny right but you shouldn't be on the phone you're far too incompetent all you're doing is taking down an order are you deaf or something?'. I explained to her that I was sorry and that I was new and hard of hearing but she demanded to speak to the manager.

My manager was okay about it but sent me home early because I was really upset and said he'd be in touch on Monday. Will I lose my job because of this? :/

I've been bullied in the past because of my hearing aids and I want to go on to become a children's nurse, will I always be penalised for it like on phonecalls and things? I just wondered if anybody knew of anybody hard of hearing that is a nurse or has similar problems and if they are good at their job with no complaints because today has really knocked my confidence.

Thanks xx
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlottehattonx)
    Hi guys, I'm 18 years old and I have a slight hearing impairment. I've just started work at Domino's pizza, I thought I'd taken to it really well as I could hear all the people on the phones okay until one woman rang with quite a difficult order and she was really softly spoken. I was trying to put it through until she said 'i'm not being funny right but you shouldn't be on the phone you're far too incompetent all you're doing is taking down an order are you deaf or something?'. I explained to her that I was sorry and that I was new and hard of hearing but she demanded to speak to the manager.

My manager was okay about it but sent me home early because I was really upset and said he'd be in touch on Monday. Will I lose my job because of this? :/

I've been bullied in the past because of my hearing aids and I want to go on to become a children's nurse, will I always be penalised for it like on phonecalls and things? I just wondered if anybody knew of anybody hard of hearing that is a nurse or has similar problems and if they are good at their job with no complaints because today has really knocked my confidence.

Thanks xx

It was rather silly of the manager to put you on the telephones. I am hard of hearing too and can only use the phone if there is no other noise.

No you won't lose your job - but you must say to the manager that you will do all the other jobs but not that one for obvious reasons.

The customer was very mean - but welcome to the world of customer service. When you become a childrens nurse you will find that some of the parents an be so so so awful. And of course you can't say anything ...

So chin up. Acknowledge it was a bad episode and move forward.

I am sure you will make an excellent childrens nurse - the fact that you have a mild disability always makes the children interested.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, I'm aware the parents can be difficult and nursing is a caring profession and I'd like to feel I was helping rather than being a burden mishearing things all the time, but yeah chin up I suppose, thanks again
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't let the customer make you feel bad!! You won't loose your job either, your manager was probably just being nice by sending you home early, maybe your manager will give you the option to swap positions if you want to, but as you said you were doing fine hearing people on the phone, it was just this one woman with a soft voice. I'm sure a lot of people would of found it difficult to hear her
    I'm sure you will make a fantasic childrens nurse in the future, just because your hard of hearing you shouldn't let it hold you back from what you want to do, 99% of people are very understanding. Its a shame you have to come across the rude minority who have to ruin it for you.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, that was a lovely comment, I just needed an honest opinion and I feel much better now so thanks again.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Shouldn't hold you back altogether, you just need a manager intelligent enough to put you on the right jobs.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 1, 2012
New on TSR

Naughtiest thing you did at school

Did you get away with it or were you punished?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.