The Student Room Group

Applying to undergraduate course w/ EU BSc

Hi student room!

I hope You can help me with something Im unable to find an answer to.
I already have a BSc (EU) degree in Geology. Most of my exams in uni I have taken over 7 years ago. Although I successfully defended my thesis and graduated this year (yees... had few gap years :tongue:). Therefore I would like to apply to undergraduate courses not masters (for example in Oceanography, Marine Geography/Geology etc).
The question is if UK unis take into account my previous BSc studies or only Highschool results/exams (A-levels etc)? The thing is that my highschool results are not very impressive although university results are rather nice - mostly A-s and B-s and very very few C-s (no D-s or E-s at all).
Should I write to unis Im interested in directly? Any thoughts?

Thank You in advance!!! :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
As you have a BSc already you would not be eligible for Undergraduate funding in the UK due to Equivalent Level Qualification (ELQ) rules. So if you are able to self fund a second undergraduate degree, there is nothing to stop you applying. You will be asked to list all your previous studies, you will be considered as a mature student, so do not worry about your old grades too much. You will need to demonstrate an interest and ability in the subject you want to study now to convince the admissions tutor to offer you a place over someone else.

Contact the universities you want to study at directly, give a brief description of your study history and why you want study course X. Your recent graduation should help to demonstrate evidence of recent study.
Reply 2
Thanks a lot for the info!

One more Q though.
Many courses Im interested in are described as integrated Master's Degree programs - therefore BSc being combined w/ masters as a 4y degree. So if i were to apply to one of these am I still considered as ELQ regarding fundings?
Reply 3
You will need to contact the university concerned to determine what fee level you will be assessed for. It will depend on how integrated the course is, if it possible to exit at say year 3 with the degree, then you may be charged ELQ fees for that part and non ELQ for masters portion completed in the 4th year.
Reply 4
Thanks!
I have already written to one of the unis Im interested in.
Hope to get an answer soon.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending