Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How can I persuade parents?

Announcements Posted on
Live webchat: Student Finance explained - on TSR from 2 - 3pm 17-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Bee)
    I'm not 'bad'. My guitar teacher is extremely talented and every week basically "Because well, your rather quite good.", "Your definitely no beginner any more".

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad
    I understand that. But not being a beginner isn't exactly advanced. I would honestly wait until you can afford it yourself or stick with a conventional guitar.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Well....you could:

1) Sell something valuable on ebay
    2) Do a Garage sale
    3) Do a Lemonade Stand! (It's Summer after all, so no harm in trying )
    4) Get a job!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobertWhite)
    I understand that. But not being a beginner isn't exactly advanced. I would honestly wait until you can afford it yourself or stick with a conventional guitar.
    He that that once :P A long time agoo! Now it's more "You are getting real good!"

• 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Save say three months worth of money £240, and then go to your parents and ask them if they will give you the other £260 as an advance because you've shown them dedication to wanting the guitar by saving up the £240, and you will pay them back over the next 6 months.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Write a song that expresses your desire for the guitar, then play it for your mum. Commitment to the cause.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    I went through one of those guitar phases when I was around 12. I thought that an expensive guitar was the only option. The truth is, your parents are right. You don't need an amazing guitar. Ask them for a more moderately priced guitar and learn how to play well with it to prove your dedication. I got the expensive guitar which I asked for, then barely ever used it.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC One X
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mangoh)
    NO!

I will not be quiet. People are losing their jobs etc... and OP is asking for a guitar

#FIRSTWORLDPROBLEMS

k?
    My parents aren't losing their jobs. And my father is self employed.

• 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    How about not sponging off your folks and getting a job?

When I was 14 I worked in a burger bar, did babysitting and had 6 paper rounds. I didn't need to ask anyone for money, I worked hard and saved up. It is much better and you will ether learn that £500 is actually a lot of money for a guitar, or you will work hard and get it in the end.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hermione_moo)
    How about not sponging off your folks and getting a job?

When I was 14 I worked in a burger bar, did babysitting and had 6 paper rounds. I didn't need to ask anyone for money, I worked hard and saved up. It is much better and you will ether learn that £500 is actually a lot of money for a guitar, or you will work hard and get it in the end.
    I know it is a lot of money. But I get £50 allowance and deliver 400 magazines for £30. That's £80 a month.

• 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    You get £80 a month, just save half of that untill christmas and then ask for that guitar as a christmas present. You'll have loads of time to improve between now and christmas so if your parents notice you getting better then perhaps they'll be less reluctant to buy it.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Not getting it. Times are hard for money lately, not just us but everyone in general. So, thanks for the advice.

God bless y'all!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 3, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.