The Student Room Group

What do you wear when you go to the gym?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Serano
Real men go naked like the Greeks

I'm all for this asides when it comes to doing something like deadlifts, where I'd probably manage to castrate myself.
Speedos
I used to wear joggers, a random T shirt (usually slightly too small for me) and converse. Then my mum bitched at me that I looked like a hobo (I go to the gym sometimes around the same time as her as she's paying my membership at Virgin Active when I'm home) so I bought some under armor T-shirts and some shorts from JJB and wear them now instead. Still converse though, sick lifting shoes.

Holy **** though sports wear is expensive. The shorts were like £10 and the tees where 2 for £25. I still need to buy some more shorts.

EDIT: In terms of changing I don' bother. I drive there so I go in shorts/tee and leave in the same stuff then shower when I get home.

Original post by HFerguson
yep, umad? I have another pair of shorts and cover up to keep warm when doing other lifts, and wear 2 layers to warm up, otherwise its compression shorts when doing any squats or olympic lifts - the mobility is just unrivalled, I feel totally uninhibited. Once you go compression shorts, you cant go back srs. Besides, I have good quads and ass, why should the girls have all the fun? :awesome:

I'm not lifting with you next year if everytime you go low I get a straight view of your ballsack. You can cover that **** up with a towel or something, spartan style.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 23
****ty Umbro trackies that were 7 quid from sports direct and a plain black tshirt, it's a gym not a fashion show.
Reply 24
Original post by Tahooper
I was in the same situation as you exactly a week ago :rofl:

I just went in a white T-shirt and black Adidas tracksuit bottoms.

I bought some Nike black tracksuit bottoms for £30 and wore a black tshirt. And just my trainers I had on atm.

Can people recommend me some good running shoes? Budget is £30ish

I just had my induction it went quite well. The instructor was pretty hot! and she advised me to start using mainly the machines and I can start on the free weights later on. Definitely glad I've finally joined a gym and I can start becoming fitter,
Reply 25
Original post by silent ninja
Tracky bottoms/shorts + t shirt.

I know it's best to wear cotton t shirts, especially for squats, but I wear football and tennis shirts. The material looks so much better when you sweat, not with sweat patches everywhere which kinda grosses me out. However, not ideal for squats as the bar doesn't grip as well (though I've not had a major problem). I try not to wear shorts cos I got amazing huge calves and that makes me paranoid walking around the gym lol

Yeah I think I need to invest one of those sports t-shirts. Couldn't find any in sports direct or JD :s-smilie:
Reply 26
Original post by momanium
Tracky bottoms and a breathable sports t-shirt. I hate the idea of changing there so I am in to put my bag away and get my drink and then out again. I have showers at home as well- it makes me feel awkward with all those naked men- doesn't feel normal.

hahah I know what you mean, I went there to change from jeans to tracksuit bottoms and oh my god I really didn't know where to look, there were naked men (both young and old) in showers and near the lockers.
Original post by Luxray
Yeah I think I need to invest one of those sports t-shirts. Couldn't find any in sports direct or JD :s-smilie:

Take a look at the sportswear in TKmaxx. I got a nike tshirt for £9.99 and it's made of really nice fabric which helps keep me cool - definitely makes a difference over a 100% cotton tshirt.
Original post by Luxray
hahah I know what you mean, I went there to change from jeans to tracksuit bottoms and oh my god I really didn't know where to look, there were naked men (both young and old) in showers and near the lockers.

I got a nice black Puma t shirt for £10 at Sports Direct. I love the small Puma cat logo on it and the material is awesome, great for cardio as it's very breathable. Can't go wrong, I spend that much on a Saturday night take-away.

I really can't fathom how so many people go to the gym in jeans . It's puzzling and looks very silly.
Reply 29
A holster. For my guns.
Reply 30
Original post by Sabertooth
Take a look at the sportswear in TKmaxx. I got a nike tshirt for £9.99 and it's made of really nice fabric which helps keep me cool - definitely makes a difference over a 100% cotton tshirt.

What about running trainers? I dont really know which ones are good, will any pair do? and how do i know if they are for running rather than casual?
Reply 31
Original post by silent ninja
I got a nice black Puma t shirt for £10 at Sports Direct. I love the small Puma cat logo on it and the material is awesome, great for cardio as it's very breathable. Can't go wrong, I spend that much on a Saturday night take-away.

I really can't fathom how so many people go to the gym in jeans . It's puzzling and looks very silly.

Cheers, I'll have a closer look in SD next time I go :smile:
Wear anything you feel comfortable in.
Nothing too baggy if your doing running cardio etc.

But for weight training anything comfortable. Shorts t shirt trackies vest etc. and a decent pair of comfortable trainers.

Bad footwear is a bad thing in the gym.
It's key to avoiding many injuries.
Original post by RollerBall

I'm not lifting with you next year if everytime you go low I get a straight view of your ballsack. You can cover that **** up with a towel or something, spartan style.

That's the beauty of it. It's subtle trolling at its finest. Nobody has a choice. My lower body in all its glory is on display and noone can escape it. If I squatted 150 for reps, people would think I was being serious and that such clothing was legitimately warranted, but seeing as I don't, well that's the beauty of it. In parodying myself and taking myself uber seriously, I actually don't take it too seriously at all.

*troll face on*
Original post by HFerguson
That's the beauty of it. It's subtle trolling at its finest. Nobody has a choice. My lower body in all its glory is on display and noone can escape it. If I squatted 150 for reps, people would think I was being serious and that such clothing was legitimately warranted, but seeing as I don't, well that's the beauty of it. In parodying myself and taking myself uber seriously, I actually don't take it too seriously at all.

*troll face on*

What about when I towel whip you in the sack at the bottom of a double BW squat? See how you like trolling then.
Original post by RollerBall
What about when I towel whip you in the sack at the bottom of a double BW squat? See how you like trolling then.

Your resistance only makes me stronger.
Reply 36
Original post by Luxray
I bought some Nike black tracksuit bottoms for £30 and wore a black tshirt. And just my trainers I had on atm.

Can people recommend me some good running shoes? Budget is £30ish

I just had my induction it went quite well. The instructor was pretty hot! and she advised me to start using mainly the machines and I can start on the free weights later on. Definitely glad I've finally joined a gym and I can start becoming fitter,

What gym do you go to? I had an amazingly hot instructor too :eek: :sexface:

I'm not sure what good running shoes are out there but I just wear these Nike Air Windrunner's which were £35:

(in a different colour)

I bought them in the junior section though because I have small feet :colondollar:
Reply 37
Original post by Jono404
****ty Umbro trackies that were 7 quid from sports direct and a plain black tshirt, it's a gym not a fashion show.

When I had my induction last week I saw a lad in my year wearing a hollister T-shirt and converse trainers :lol:
Reply 38
Original post by G550NDH
Mankini

Is it pink?
Original post by Tahooper
When I had my induction last week I saw a lad in my year wearing a hollister T-shirt and converse trainers :lol:

converse trainers are great for lifting in... the hollister tshirt not so much

Quick Reply

Latest