The Student Room Group

Why do people hate short guys?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by Luxray
Firstly I think you could get away with saying you are 5ft 8. And I think you are short but not at a critical level. People who are definitely not short are people who are 5ft 10 or above I would say.

I know a lot of girls normally desire for a man to be like 4 or 5 inches taller than themselves but would be ok if the man was just like an inch taller. And since a lot of girls are between 5 ft 6 and 5 ft 4 then are still taller than them by some amount.

You are short but not very short. Zac Efron is 5ft 8 and yes he has fame and fortune and not everybody think he is good looking but I'm sure a lot of people do think he is especially these days that he has a good body.

Its when you are 5ft 5 or less that its critical because you are the same or shorter than most girls. So in some you are short but not short enough that people would think you have some sort of inferiority or napoleon complex

Didn't even know people stereotyped shorter people of having 'napoleon complexes'?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Luxray
Firstly I think you could get away with saying you are 5ft 8. And I think you are short but not at a critical level. People who are definitely not short are people who are 5ft 10 or above I would say.

I know a lot of girls normally desire for a man to be like 4 or 5 inches taller than themselves but would be ok if the man was just like an inch taller. And since a lot of girls are between 5 ft 6 and 5 ft 4 then are still taller than them by some amount.

You are short but not very short. Zac Efron is 5ft 8 and yes he has fame and fortune and not everybody think he is good looking but I'm sure a lot of people do think he is especially these days that he has a good body.

Its when you are 5ft 5 or less that its critical because you are the same or shorter than most girls. So in some you are short but not short enough that people would think you have some sort of inferiority or napoleon complex

I started this thread and got this response:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2015201

So I suppose, if they are representitive it sort of calmed me a down a lot. I polled it on a few other large forums and got similar results. So if its a problem its not potentially a massive barrier, I hope anyway. :frown:
Reply 182
Original post by Sharpshooter
I started this thread and got this response:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2015201

So I suppose, if they are representitive it sort of calmed me a down a lot. I polled it on a few other large forums and got similar results. So if its a problem its not potentially a massive barrier, I hope anyway. :frown:

You'll be fine man plenty of girls shorter than you, just be glad you aren't 5ft 5 like me. I'd love to be 5ft 8.
Original post by Luxray
You'll be fine man plenty of girls shorter than you, just be glad you aren't 5ft 5 like me. I'd love to be 5ft 8.

Being 5ft 5 still means you are taller than 50% of girls right, I'm sure there's plenty of women who are ok with you're height if pushed.

You know I'm a bit of a social recluse and a bit social phobic and trying to address this situation now with therapy and counselling (finally).

But I found a poll on some websites that 60% of women wouldn't date a male virgin over the age of 30, I'm a virgin and nearly 26. Do you know how damning that is? Its pretty horrific if true, so I have issues as well at the moment and we all have certain characteristics that could potentially be a turn off, all of us. Not one of us is perfect, but its up to us to ascenuate the positives and make do with what we have, I'll sure you'll be fine.

You have your height and I have my inexperiance (which is bad for my age) but we can win out in the end, I'm sure of it. :tongue:
Original post by Chaeli93
Actually I've been diagnosed by two GPs and a psychiatrist (I got second opinions and everything). And like I said, I don't hate short guys, I just don't feel comfortable dating them when I have a known problem. I regularly have panic attacks and am almost housebound due to my BDD so don't judge what you don't understand please.

With a mental illness, the diagnosis is only as reliable as the person claiming to be ill. No one in the world is 100% happy with all of their body. You aren't ill. Get over yourself.
Reply 185
Being 5ft 5 still means you are taller than 50% of girls right, I'm sure there's plenty of women who are ok with you're height if pushed.

Where did you get this stat from? I'm 5'4 and in my experience i'm shorter than the majority of girls.
Reply 186
I'm going to respond to all comments in one go, but I should add that in this generation, girls are pretty much taller than the average 5'4"
Original post by ct2k7
I'm going to respond to all comments in one go, but I should add that in this generation, girls are pretty much taller than the average 5'4"

Is this an actual statistic? I don't see that many girls my height or above.
Reply 188
Original post by Dark Horse
Is this an actual statistic? I don't see that many girls my height or above.

It's from personal experience. Heck, even my sisters are at least 5'6" :/ I've only met one person shorter than me, and pretty much every else is much taller than me, in my age group.
I get a few problems at 5'8" but this is primarily due to my role as opposed to anything else. One ex-girlfriend had a problem with it, but tbh it was her problem, not mine. As a police officer there are a few issues with people harping on about the "napoleon complex" which has always irked me. The term is so laced with prejudice it's unbelievable. If I have a role in law enforcement, if I throw my weight around, I have a complex, yet many people do the same job who are a lot taller and don't? Sense?

In terms of girls I find so long as you dress well you're fine. A girl who is my height is tall though. Many short people do themselves no favours in what they wear and just compound the problem with baggy or just poorly fitting items.
Original post by ct2k7
It's from personal experience. Heck, even my sisters are at least 5'6" :/ I've only met one person shorter than me, and pretty much every else is much taller than me, in my age group.

Alot of the time tall girls are only so because they're wearing heels. Honestly, I've honestly not noticed that many naturally tall girls. And I'm surprised girls only a couple of inches taller than you even notice.

The only reason height might be attractive to women is the fact that it means they're being vertically dominated. Or that they can be heavier but not look as fat...but for yourself that's something under your control.
Reply 191
I know a lot if tall men have wanted me to top them. I top my gf and she loved it.

People perceive me, at initial meet, to not be dominant at all, possibly even weak, physically.

Reply 192
I have a small frame, but I am muscular and stocky; it's more pronounced when I'm wearing a suit, that's when I get the handsome remarks.

Original post by ct2k7

Its not true seriously. Do you have evidence ct2k7 for this generation being significantly taller? Because tbh there's always a lot of hype about this generation being taller etc, but if it is, its minimal. Wiki states that for girls in the UK below 30 the average height is 5'4 1/2.

"1.644 m (5 ft 4 1⁄2 in)"
Reply 194
Its not true seriously. Do you have evidence ct2k7 for this generation being significantly taller? Because tbh there's always a lot of hype about this generation being taller etc, but if it is, its minimal. Wiki states that for girls in the UK below 30 the average height is 5'4 1/2.

"1.644 m (5 ft 4 1⁄2 in)"

As I said - I'm talking from experience, but I genuinely don't see short women/girls. It could be though, that my perception is skewed given my own stature.
Original post by ct2k7
As I said - I'm talking from experience, but I genuinely don't see short women/girls. It could be though, that my perception is skewed given my own stature.

Yeah I know what you mean I here a lot of this from people, thinking the average height is bigger than what it is.

I have a friend who hovers just over 6ft and he thinks he's only average at best. :s-smilie:

He's convinced the average is way bigger than 5'10. He says I'm absolute shortarse being near 5'8 and makes fun out of me an awful lot for it.
Reply 196
Yeah I know what you mean I here a lot of this from people, thinking the average height is bigger than what it is.

I have a friend who hovers just over 6ft and he thinks he's only average at best. :s-smilie:

He's convinced the average is way bigger than 5'10. He says I'm absolute shortarse being near 5'8 and makes fun out of me an awful lot for it.

The only thing I can suggest is that you ignore them, it's really easier said than done. Only a few months ago, the 6ft guys picked me up and threw me into a pool. I had to use them as a springboard so that my head wouldn't hit the side of the pool.
Original post by Yuri
This thread is depressing... I'm 5'4" fml

You know there are only a few things important in this life ( and this is all,all of us have) - act with integrity , treat every one else as you would want to be treated, and work hard at what ever you decide you want/ought to do. Everything else is a waste of your time and energy. Worrying about your height is ludicrous - most people who have done remarkable/great things have been short but goodness knows they've not wasted their lives and energy over stupid ridiculous things. Just get on and act!
Original post by ct2k7
For a girl, it's acceptable for her to be short.

For a guy it's not. It's already bad not being in demand, and thus, unattractive to most girls out there, physically, but some women/girls go as far as to validate their comments with absurd points, such as:

Short men not being "REAL men";

All short men having a 'Napoleon' complex;

Bad genetics;

Taller men are better protectors;

Small mean being incapable.

It's bad enough that way, but I've honestly had many taller men trying to start a fight with me - I don't want to fight.

It's not as if taller men were better protectors and/or hunters in the Neanderthal and previous era: men were stocky and shorter due to adaptations to the local environment, and being tall certainly wasn't an advantage as such in hunting or protecting.

I am a very short young man, so my dating options are VERY limited. :frown: Some people telling me to find someone shorter than me - yeah, I don't see many women or girls short than me at all. I get that everyone has their preferences, but don't tell me that I'm less capable than someone else due to something that I can't control. In fact, these preferences are actually requirements. I'm as good as a protector than someone who's very tall. Women seem to absolutely hate short men, or even the idea of men. One woman even said that all short men should be rounded up and shot. Women hate being seen as attractive to short men, it's a complete "turn off". Don't even think that being confident that significantly impact things either - it really doesn't at my stage, at least. Saying that "the right person will come along eventually" doesn't even help either; most, and the majority will discriminate and filter out based on initial impressions (physical).

There's also a double standard when it comes to behaviour. A shorter man is seen as having a complex if he pursues or chases something (not necessarily aggressively), but for a taller person, it is seen as acceptable or even desirable. Why is this? I don't understand why I need to "make up" for my height. Does being taller make me any better? I wouldn't think so.

One girl even said this "Short guys should serve a year in pen for every inch they are under 5'9.". Gee, that's pretty much half of the male population in North. America.

I really don't understand this. It's acceptable to discriminate on the basis of height, but not on something, let's just say, weight.

I don't know how old you are, but a buddy of mine through school and at uni is 5'6, and honestly he cleans up. He takes the inevitable height comments with a pinch of salt and owns every bit of height he has. I'm not going to pretend I can speak from experience as I'm tall, but in all honesty if you know you're never going to be that much taller you need to learn to deal with it and just make the most of what you have.
Reply 199
There is no question women dislike immensely going out with small guys below 5ft 5. Even if they are terribly attractive - the only way a small guy can get the girl of his dreams is if he terribly rich or famous. I know how the thread starter feels as I am only 5ft four, good looking (at times) and decent bod. I don't stand a chance with women its even worse in clubs especially when they imply you are not even worthy standing two feet from them or pull faces no wonder guys lose confidence. Its really quite sad but cannot change human nature. Anyway all women want a tall, dark, handsome. I only meet the latter two criteria which make up 20% of the requirement.

Apart from being ruled out from 90% of women, height can be a disadvantage with friends and work. Studies have shown most tall people are likely to be recruited for senior positions than shorter people.

I will challenge anyone who says being short is not a disadvantage - before anyone says - yes society will discriminate against anyone who is not the norm being it colour, handicap, poor, even with weight

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending