The Student Room Group

Why do people hate short guys?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ct2k7
Up to you - but at least you opinion didn't include something obnoxious as I've had thrown in my fact earlier this week :smile:

No no, I would never be obnoxious to any guy shorter than myself, that's just plain rude - it's just matter of preference for me really. I certainly don't hate shorter guys though.

:smile:
Reply 41
Original post by Anonymous
No no, I would never be obnoxious to any guy shorter than myself, that's just plain rude - it's just matter of preference for me really. I certainly don't hate shorter guys though.

Thank you :smile:
Reply 42
Original post by Dark Horse
Thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2032349&page=3&p=38139783&highlight=#post38139783

I realise that it wasn't the OP's intention when he made this thread...but all of these women trying to explain what they want should probably be ignored completely, lest we become as confused as they seem to be.

On a more relevant note OP - most people walk around with below par body language and don't make the most of their height with good posture. With regards to women - it's always seemed to me that they only look tall when they're wearing high heels (even if, technically - they are 5ft 9+) and this is probably because of the posture thing. Or perhaps it's that tall girls sometimes feel self-conscious about it and slouch a little.

With the height thing in general I never really notice. The only time I've ever found height to be an issue (if you can call it that) is in certain sports I've played (football, basketball) where height can be an advantage.

If it makes you feel any better OP - I reckon most men would say yes to a couple of extra inches. :cool:

It isn't an issue for me personally, it's an issue for others, but I am constantly compounded by their issues with me being short. The countless times I've heard "too bad he's short" or "he's perfect but he's short" really just digs into me.

Now, would I want some more inches? I am not sure - it's made me who I am, an extremely caring, loving person who is passionate about what he does, always doing things to the best of his ability and is constantly attracted to challenges. I just feel as if there's a general disdain for short people, especially short men. Personally, I've already accepted that most of the female population is inaccessible to me automatically, based on my experiences.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 43
I should probably add that a shorter guy can have all of the intelligence and confidence in the world and yet still be outdone by a taller guy, with less confidence and intelligence it seems :/
Reply 44
Op, ignore the fights and comments. It wont change anything you are who you are so be happy

As for girls liking taller guys is it because of what other people may/would think if you went out with someone shorter or the same height?
Reply 45
Original post by ct2k7
It isn't an issue for me personally, it's an issue for others, but I am constantly compounded by their issues with me being short. The countless times I've heard "too bad he's short" or "he's perfect but he's short" really just digs into me.

Now, would I want some more inches? I am not sure - it's made me who I am, an extremely caring, loving person who is passionate about what he does, always doing things to the best of his ability and is constantly attracted to challenges. I just feel as if there's a general disdain for short people, especially short men. Personally, I've already accepted that most of the female population is inaccessible to me automatically, based on my experiences.

Well it digs into you because it's intended to. Women often say things to you that might damage your ego in order to test your reaction. If you look the slightest bit disappointed/upset/angry or get defensive then you "lose".

The annoying thing is even women you're not even trying to get will also do it.
Reply 46
Original post by 1992dean
Op, ignore the fights and comments. It wont change anything you are who you are so be happy

As for girls liking taller guys is it because of what other people may/would think if you went out with someone shorter or the same height?

I think a lot of it has to do with social conditioning, but one thing I'm very concerned about, and this is actually becoming more of a requirement, is that I really honestly cannot connect with someone who isn't on at least the same intellectual level, or even close. A lot of people I am meeting really don't even cut it - I know it sounds snobbish :/

Back to social conditioning, the fact that people find it weird that a taller woman can go out with a shorter guy actually keeps it there that it is not just biological, it is social.

I've only met a few girls shorter than me, well, only 2. One is married and much older than me, and one was possibly older than me, nice girl, really flirting with me, but there was an intra-personal connection that somehow formed in her serving me at a restaurant, and somehow burning her arm on my cold plate of food. I still ended up rubbing her arm better.

But the majority wouldn't date me because I'm too short, or shorter than them. It seems like the majority of shorter women go for the really tall men. Finding anyone my height is practically impossible as is finding anyone shorter than me.
Don't get me wrong, I am ok with my height, I know its advantages and its limitations. I'm also following a career that not everyone can follow, and it's not medicine/dentistry, something as.
Reply 47
Original post by Dark Horse
Well it digs into you because it's intended to. Women often say things to you that might damage your ego in order to test your reaction. If you look the slightest bit disappointed/upset/angry or get defensive then you "lose".

The annoying thing is even women you're not even trying to get will also do it.

I normally don't react to it - I don't let it be shown, it does dig into me, but the only time I would ever reveal it is when I have my alone time.

I don't think I could ever be completely comfortable with it - it's something I just don't feel that is possible - because in every situation this has happened, the retort goes further than saying that I'm short. Half of the time, it's said behind my back and it eventually gets back to me. I simply just discard the situation, it's not a loss as I see it, but it's not a gain.

If it's said directly to my face, I will usually deal with it a lot better than someone who doesn't have the guts to say it to my face. I'm not sure it's possible to NOT even feel or look the slightly bit disappointed for being rejected for that. Confidence is one thing - it only takes you far - everyone has their insecurities.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 48
OP from the other thread we are not far off being tall people :P

Why is it getting to you?

i know im sort but it really doesnt bother me except certain exercises at the gym haha
hate is a pretty strong word... it's not like people sit in their room plotting attacks on short people...

but OP from experience, height isn't a huge deal... i liked this guy who was 5"6ish.. i think? then again i am shorter than that...

ALSO, tom cruise.. a shortie, a guy with a bad personality... and kind of unattractive... manages to get some really nice women... then again he is rich and famous.

at the end of the day, unless you are willing to go through getting your legs snapped in half and a splint added into the bone... so you can gain like 1 inch... then there isn't much you can do... instead of wallowing in self pity and insecurity about this one tiny aspect (tiny not intended) of yourself... you should be out there being happy with yourself... because that lack of confidence will set you back SO MUCH MORE than your height. there are worse things people have to deal with appearance wise.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 50
Original post by 1992dean
OP from the other thread we are not far off being tall people :P

Why is it getting to you?

i know im sort but it really doesnt bother me except certain exercises at the gym haha

Yep ;P

Why is it getting to me? Well, I honestly don't know - I don't feel short, I'm used to being around people of all sizes - and with regards to respect, people earn it when it comes to me, no one automatically gains it.

I think it just hurts that it's something I can't control, but when it's coupled with comments that are absurd, it's somewhat repulsive and is disgusting. I have been rejected because of my height before, but then I did something which exuded a lot of confidence from my part - I sang in an assembly full of boys, and received a standing ovation, first time doing so - was advised against doing so, but I did it for my own confidence. After that, I did have girls express interest in me, I didn't bite.

I get random hugs from girls on the street, I'm seen as a cuddly teddy bear, but I have a muscular build, and some girls seem to love that - BUT - these girls are the ones looking for short term flings etc. Everyone who knows me says that I have a heart of gold - and I've taken some crap in my life and gone through it.
Reply 51
Original post by Bellissima
hate is a pretty strong word... it's not like people sit in their room plotting attacks on short people...

but OP from experience, height isn't a huge deal... i liked this guy who was 5"6ish.. i think? then again i am shorter than that...

ALSO, tom cruise.. a shortie, a guy with a bad personality... and kind of unattractive... manages to get some really nice women... then again he is rich and famous.

at the end of the day, unless you are willing to go through getting your legs snapped in half and a splint added into the bone... so you can gain like 1 inch... then there isn't much you can do... instead of wallowing in self pity and insecurity about this one tiny aspect (tiny not intended) of yourself... you should be out there being happy with yourself... because that lack of confidence will set you back SO MUCH MORE than your height. there are worse things people have to deal with appearance wise.

The only reason I use hate is because I've actually seen that word use pretty strongly by girls, somewhat vehemently and aggressively.

I think with a lot of smart girls, it won't matter, except, finding you smart girls is actually the most difficult thing here in America - not that I'm looking for girls - but it's the general comments I get from people whom I'm not even looking for a relationship with (I'm already in one). When I actually told some of my peers that I could be sensitive about my height - they were actually shocked - I don't actively display any indication - I'm not really good at expressing my emotions - they thought that I was the most comfortable person that they've ever met - to an extent I am - I am comfortable with all people in all settings, but directly attacking my height THEN adding something in reference to my masculinity is a complete NONO.

With regards to Tom Cruise - one thing he brings is status - and that's what girls are after - people associate taller men with more status: power, authority and natural leadership. When I display the same, I am often labelled as having a complex - I choose to ignore what these people say, but it only goes so far because I can't completely ignore it. Whilst I don't seen validation, their input about me does feed into my self evaluation.

On the topic of limb lengthening, someone has to be really desperate to do that - I couldn't and wouldn't. Not to mention, it'd severely affect my ability to do the job that I love and am training to do. Confidence can only take you so far.
Original post by ct2k7
The only reason I use hate is because I've actually seen that word use pretty strongly by girls, somewhat vehemently and aggressively.

I think with a lot of smart girls, it won't matter, except, finding you smart girls is actually the most difficult thing here in America - not that I'm looking for girls - but it's the general comments I get from people whom I'm not even looking for a relationship with (I'm already in one). When I actually told some of my peers that I could be sensitive about my height - they were actually shocked - I don't actively display any indication - I'm not really good at expressing my emotions - they thought that I was the most comfortable person that they've ever met - to an extent I am - I am comfortable with all people in all settings, but directly attacking my height THEN adding something in reference to my masculinity is a complete NONO.

With regards to Tom Cruise - one thing he brings is status - and that's what girls are after - people associate taller men with more status: power, authority and natural leadership. When I display the same, I am often labelled as having a complex - I choose to ignore what these people say, but it only goes so far because I can't completely ignore it. Whilst I don't seen validation, their input about me does feed into my self evaluation.

On the topic of limb lengthening, someone has to be really desperate to do that - I couldn't and wouldn't. Not to mention, it'd severely affect my ability to do the job that I love and am training to do. Confidence can only take you so far.

thing is, if this percieved disadvantage is true... and i will be honest and say it probably is with some girls albeit subconsciously... so what? you cannot do anything to change that. you should not really need to. everyone has SOMETHING that limits them to some extent with the opposite gender (or same depending on your orientation)... not everyone is going to be everyone elses cup of tea.. so instead of worrying on those people who might not find you attractive for one reason or another, concentrate on finding those who will or those who don't mind as much... it might seem hard but you have a girlfriend right? so it can't be that hard... i think you're imagining the situation... i have a friend he is like 5"7, i think that counts as short for a guy... he is actually probably nearer to 5"6... anyway he's the sleep around type, and he manages it very well with good looking girls (i.e. not "easy" chavvy girls)... he is very confident (well puts on a front i think he is actually quite insecure and cares a lot about what others think hence the manwhoring) and aside from being good looking the cofidence is probably, no, definitely, the thing that gets him what he is looking for. i think he could quite easily be in a relationship.
Reply 53
Original post by Bellissima
thing is, if this percieved disadvantage is true... and i will be honest and say it probably is with some girls albeit subconsciously... so what? you cannot do anything to change that. you should not really need to. everyone has SOMETHING that limits them to some extent with the opposite gender (or same depending on your orientation)... not everyone is going to be everyone elses cup of tea.. so instead of worrying on those people who might not find you attractive for one reason or another, concentrate on finding those who will or those who don't mind as much... it might seem hard but you have a girlfriend right? so it can't be that hard... i think you're imagining the situation... i have a friend he is like 5"7, i think that counts as short for a guy... he is actually probably nearer to 5"6... anyway he's the sleep around type, and he manages it very well with good looking girls (i.e. not "easy" chavvy girls)... he is very confident (well puts on a front i think he is actually quite insecure and cares a lot about what others think hence the manwhoring) and aside from being good looking the cofidence is probably, no, definitely, the thing that gets him what he is looking for. i think he could quite easily be in a relationship.

Finding those who are fine with my height is actually extremely difficult. I am going to be honest here - it'd be extremely easy for me to sleep around, however, for the romantic side of things- girls will want someone they feel confident about, most of the time, they don't like feeling "bigger" and like to feel petite/smaller than the guy. I accept that - there's nothing I can do to change that. If all else is equal, the taller man will win.

5'6"+ isn't too bad, it gets back when you're 5'5"- and pretty much every girl you see and know is taller than you. It's not that I have a problem, it's that they have a problem with wanting to feel secure, small etc and not "big" and the protector. I am not sure if I'm good looking, I get a lot of the "cute" talk - it's pretty ambiguous to me, but those random hugs could mean something. I am pretty much myself - I have my own set of standards, and I don't confine myself to society's rules.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 54
Original post by ct2k7
For a girl, it's acceptable for her to be short.

For a guy it's not. It's already bad not being in demand, and thus, unattractive to most girls out there, physically, but some women/girls go as far as to validate their comments with absurd points, such as:

Short men not being "REAL men";

All short men having a 'Napoleon' complex;

Bad genetics;

Taller men are better protectors;

Small mean being incapable.

It's bad enough that way, but I've honestly had many taller men trying to start a fight with me - I don't want to fight.

It's not as if taller men were better protectors and/or hunters in the Neanderthal and previous era: men were stocky and shorter due to adaptations to the local environment, and being tall certainly wasn't an advantage as such in hunting or protecting.

I am a very short young man, so my dating options are VERY limited. :frown: Some people telling me to find someone shorter than me - yeah, I don't see many women or girls short than me at all. I get that everyone has their preferences, but don't tell me that I'm less capable than someone else due to something that I can't control. In fact, these preferences are actually requirements. I'm as good as a protector than someone who's very tall. Women seem to absolutely hate short men, or even the idea of men. One woman even said that all short men should be rounded up and shot. Women hate being seen as attractive to short men, it's a complete "turn off". Don't even think that being confident that significantly impact things either - it really doesn't at my stage, at least. Saying that "the right person will come along eventually" doesn't even help either; most, and the majority will discriminate and filter out based on initial impressions (physical).

There's also a double standard when it comes to behaviour. A shorter man is seen as having a complex if he pursues or chases something (not necessarily aggressively), but for a taller person, it is seen as acceptable or even desirable. Why is this? I don't understand why I need to "make up" for my height. Does being taller make me any better? I wouldn't think so.

One girl even said this "Short guys should serve a year in pen for every inch they are under 5'9.". Gee, that's pretty much half of the male population in North. America.

I really don't understand this. It's acceptable to discriminate on the basis of height, but not on something, let's just say, weight.

This is coming from a man that stands 5ft3, firstly people are dicriminated on the basis of wieght! Infact you could turn the tables and say its more acceptable for a man to be fat than it is for a women because of the pressure put on women to be sexy etc in western culture. That means that people always have perceived disadvantages in life be it weight heigh looks etc. This is what your saying isent it? Youre at a disadvantage because of your hight, this might sound cheesy pal but wther or not your at a disadvantage depends largely on you and how you go through life and interact with people. Yes being short might make it harder to find a gf etc but like you said everybody has their prefrences, think of it this way, men largely prefer women with big boobs, does that mean any lady who hasent have big boobs is gonna be single for the rest of their lives? of course not! One peice of advise i want to give because we are somewhat in the same boat in terms of being short is..innteract with as many people as you can! You will realise people(in general) are always gonna find perceived imperfections in other people and thats life my friend. When you dont let your self be affected in anyway by peoples negative opinons and behaviours on your perceived imperfection(for exp your hight), thats when you will find it much easier to live life without wasting energy and though on what people think about you because of your height! There was somebody in my school who was my hight and DID have napolean syndrome/shortmansyndrome and he was really hardworking but i personally did not like being around him so i think its a really sad 'syndrome' for short men to have. Btw i know that just being short and 'strongly persuing things' are always linked to the short guy having 'shortman syndrom' which is stupid because anyone can 'strongly persue' things but remember this is just someone elses opinion not your but The important thing to remember is people come in all different shapes and sizes period and theres probaly things that you have that some people would love to have
Reply 55
Talking of Tom Cruise, has anyone else seen the Twittosphere exploding with comments relating to his height, based on what his soon to be ex said?

No, what did his ex say?
Reply 56
Original post by 1crazydude
This is coming from a man that stands 5ft3, firstly people are dicriminated on the basis of wieght! Infact you could turn the tables and say its more acceptable for a man to be fat than it is for a women because of the pressure put on women to be sexy etc in western culture. That means that people always have perceived disadvantages in life be it weight heigh looks etc. This is what your saying isent it? Youre at a disadvantage because of your hight, this might sound cheesy pal but wther or not your at a disadvantage depends largely on you and how you go through life and interact with people. Yes being short might make it harder to find a gf etc but like you said everybody has their prefrences, think of it this way, men largely prefer women with big boobs, does that mean any lady who hasent have big boobs is gonna be single for the rest of their lives? of course not! One peice of advise i want to give because we are somewhat in the same boat in terms of being short is..innteract with as many people as you can! You will realise people(in general) are always gonna find perceived imperfections in other people and thats life my friend. When you dont let your self be affected in anyway by peoples negative opinons and behaviours on your perceived imperfection(for exp your hight), thats when you will find it much easier to live life without wasting energy and though on what people think about you because of your height! There was somebody in my school who was my hight and DID have napolean syndrome/shortmansyndrome and he was really hardworking but i personally did not like being around him so i think its a really sad 'syndrome' for short men to have. Btw i know that just being short and 'strongly persuing things' are always linked to the short guy having 'shortman syndrom' which is stupid because anyone can 'strongly persue' things but remember this is just someone elses opinion not your but The important thing to remember is people come in all different shapes and sizes period and theres probaly things that you have that some people would love to have

Thanks :smile: Men are much more flexible in terms of preferences, with women, some of these preferences are actually requirements. I've been trying to interact with as many people as possible, most of them don't think that I'm short, some of them crack the short joke regularly - I'm stuck with them for about a year on this course. I've been trying not to let myself be affected, but it's difficult to when you're aware of it. I wasn't even aware of it until someone said so, I actually had to have that person spell it out because I didn't think I was short, and even then I didn't think that it made a difference.

Original post by 1crazydude
Talking of Tom Cruise, has anyone else seen the Twittosphere exploding with comments relating to his height, based on what his soon to be ex said?

No, what did his ex say?

I can't remember, but it was something so insignificant about not being able to see eye to eye on things. :/
Op i had posted a complimentary comment about why I prefer shorter guys to me and u didn't even see or quote it :frown: could it be that in real life you overlook the positive comments and focus on the negative discriminatory ones?

What if a girl who is slightly taller then u but likes you... What if she hesitates to approach u due to fear of what your reaction will be.

I think shorter guys are way hotter. No decent girl will knock back a shorter guy if he is compatible to her and it's true love.
Think about all the innovative positions one could try. :wink: :tongue:
in the dark everyone is the same height :smile:
shorter guys ive heard also make better partners ANC are more giving in more ways than one :smile: :wink:
Reply 59
Op i had posted a complimentary comment about why I prefer shorter guys to me and u didn't even see or quote it :frown: could it be that in real life you overlook the positive comments and focus on the negative discriminatory ones?

Hi Anon #5 - I'm trying to find your post, but I can't find it :s-smilie: - I don't usually skip posts as you can see - so I do apologise if that seemed the case. I'm going to have a hunt for it now.

What if a girl who is slightly taller then u but likes you...

I'd honestly be happy - I don't really care who likes me, I am open to all people

What if she hesitates to approach u due to fear of what your reaction will be.

I am quite an approachable person I think. People approach me with all sorts of things - people know me as someone they can talk to.

I think shorter guys are way hotter. No decent girl will knock back a shorter guy if he is compatible to her and it's true love.
Think about all the innovative positions one could try. :wink: :tongue:

hehehe :biggrin:

in the dark everyone is the same height :smile:
shorter guys ive heard also make better partners ANC are more giving in more ways than one :smile: :wink:

For me, I notice a lot more things than other people do- but I also care about more things than people do - it's a strength and a weakness.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending