The Student Room Group

Why do people hate short guys?

Scroll to see replies

Hate is a strong word.
Reply 141
Original post by Michaelj
It's a bit annoying that you say you got a gf and attention but you make this thread and complain tbh.

It's not specifically about me - there are others who I am seen in such situation. I am lucky that I've found someone who finally is ok with me being (significantly) shorter than they are. Dealing with rejection on such a level, being told that you're too small even though you're a great person is not easy.

Original post by Llamageddon
Hah, I feel that one. The average height at UCL was at least 4 inches taller than the average height where I live.

:smile:

Original post by Anonymous
I don't think it's a matter of people 'hating' short guys, it's just what people find attractive.
I'm a 17 year old girl and im 5'8/9 ish, and pretty much every guy in my friend group is shorter than me... the only ones that are taller are unavailable or something, i just personally find taller guys more attractive.

The only boyfriend I've ever had was over 6ft, and we were only both about 14 at the time.
You just need to find someone with different preferences, not everyone finds taller guys attractive!

I can tell you that the hate is very real; but there is also what people find attractive. I do get treated differently at first because of my height. However, I am not talking about preferences, it is about the hate and the general ideas behind it.
Anon as I know guys on here.

I am 5ft 9 myself so barely average. I can't stand small guys who get insanely big to overcompensate. Look up the term manlet lol. They end up looking like pitbulls :tongue:

But yeah nothing against short guys in general. Although I know that if I was below 5ft 6 I would have a major negative mark against me as far as getting girls is concerned. It just isn't attractive I suppose. Bit like being fat or ugly.

That's not to say you can't get hot girls, but it's a drawback for sure.
Reply 143
Original post by jim100
You clearly are very talented and clever. From the way the calm way you reply to each comment and the way you respond clearly shows what kind of person you are. For your age, you show a lot of maturity. You do have so many positives - yes being short is negative but somehow you need to bring your thinking away from your stature as it is eroding your confidence and changing you as a person.

I have made some success but like you it has been a battle when everyone is against me. Sometimes it seem its me against the world.

One regret is that I have not been successful with women while my height has been a barrier but also my personality was weak. One thing you definitely have is personality so I guess you will be more successful than me. This does hurt so badly and resigned to defeat and acceptance

I am indian descent and when I go to India I feel tall. My dad is only my height 5ft 4 and mum 5ft so was always going to be small. Life is unfair but you know there are so many people out there who have less than us. I feel fortunate that I am financially secure and my health is intact as well as my families.

I definitely guarantee you will be successful and alredy you have got an exciting career surely that would attract women. Having a heart of gold will also help you attract the opposite sex.

Wish you well my friend

Thank you - one thing I don't really hear, but when I do I don't know what to do with it, is praise. I am a very determined person - extremely strongly focussed. I know what I want, and I will do everything in my power to achieve it. I've managed to make myself object-orientated. I deal with situations without effective emotions. I connect with people on an intra-personal level.

I am of Mauritian decent, so not that far off, so I do have Indian roots. I haven't been to India recently, but the last time I was in Mauritius, the sight of pretty much everyone (my cousins etc.) being taller than me didn't affect me, but I was aware of it. That is true about people being less "lucky" than us. Whilst I am too financially secure, I do not advertise it; that is a very personal aspect of me.

Original post by TheBallWinner
Hate is a strong word.

Perhaps I should use the word: 'disdain' ?
Original post by Anonymous
I am 5ft 9 myself so barely average. I can't stand small guys who get insanely big to overcompensate. Look up the term manlet lol. They end up looking like pitbulls :tongue:

These sorts of people do exist, but in my experience a lot of it is confirmation bias. I know plenty of smaller guys who are very chilled out and happen to be interested in strength-based sports, but who stick from other people who assume they are using muscle to compensate for height. I've had people say all sorts of nonsense about 'short man syndrome' to me, but I just happened to get into powerlifting after I started lifting to help my other sports, and you won't find anyone more chilled out about their height than me.
I'm 5'7/5'8, never had a problem.

Except from the odd friendly banter from my mates.

It seems you care to much about it. I used to be like this when I was around 14/15, until one day I realised I was only going to grow a little more and they was nothing I could do about so I just accepted it and got on with life. Not everyone is the same height.. If everyone was the same height, weight and race, the world would be a boring place.
Turn it into a positive. Approach much taller women, and tell them your the right height for certain things :smile:
Original post by ct2k7
Perhaps I should use the word: 'disdain' ?

That's a lovely word!
Reply 148
Original post by Chumbaniya
These sorts of people do exist, but in my experience a lot of it is confirmation bias. I know plenty of smaller guys who are very chilled out and happen to be interested in strength-based sports, but who stick from other people who assume they are using muscle to compensate for height. I've had people say all sorts of nonsense about 'short man syndrome' to me, but I just happened to get into powerlifting after I started lifting to help my other sports, and you won't find anyone more chilled out about their height than me.

Exactly. I mean, people say that I have a complex because I go to the gym, or because I'm learning to drive a very large vehicle. People also find it acceptable to pick me up and throw me into a pool. I could have resisted, but I would have hit my head on the ground, I have to carefully calculate the jump off from the two people holding me so that I'd safely enter the water.

Original post by SuarezAlonso
I'm 5'7/5'8, never had a problem.

Except from the odd friendly banter from my mates.

It seems you care to much about it. I used to be like this when I was around 14/15, until one day I realised I was only going to grow a little more and they was nothing I could do about so I just accepted it and got on with life. Not everyone is the same height.. If everyone was the same height, weight and race, the world would be a boring place.

You're quite close to the average no? It gets more pronounced when you're 5'5" and under, it would seem.

Original post by TruetoMyself
Turn it into a positive. Approach much taller women, and tell them your the right height for certain things :smile:

haha :P

Original post by TheBallWinner
That's a lovely word!

Awesome!
I don't hate short guys. I'm short-ish for a girl, about 5"3, and my tall friends tease me a fair bit, so that's always a good laugh. Either way, most guys are taller than me, even those who are deemed "short". But I don't hate guys who are short. I wouldn't reject someone on grounds of their height, who says short guys are unattractive? I mean, Robert Downey Junior isn't especially tall. Neither are Andrew Scott or John Simm, as far as I know. They're all brilliant and lovely. :love: For me, someone who's about 6"2 or something would tower over me. It would be a hilarious sight. So shorter is good. But it is a little odd with people who are shorter than me, I'm not used to it. There's a moment of "What is this strange sensation? Ah, yes, I'm not craning my neck to look at you. Hello!" Very rare though. But no, I don't hate people because they're short, I don't necessarily like them because they're short either. I mean, I know one guy who's barely an inch taller than me, he's fantastic, love him to bits. Don't know anyone who doesn't like him. I don't think he gets teased a lot for his height, he's too lovely for that. Nobody would dare. Another guy I know is fairly short and an absolute arse. Can't stand the man. So it's personality for me. I try to judge each person on their own merits, not just in terms of attractiveness, just in general. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ct2k7
Exactly. I mean, people say that I have a complex because I go to the gym, or because I'm learning to drive a very large vehicle.

Complex may be too strong a word, but if you're starting threads about how you believe everyone hates short men you obviously have some sort of issue with it. It's the typical response for any short man to say 'oh, I have no issue about my height' when the idea of compensating for it is raised, but that doesn't make it the case - when I say that I am chilled out about my height, I mean that I have never complained in earnest about my height, not that I'm making some hollow disclaimer. It is not a thing I consider a negative aspect of my person unless I'm trying to reach something on a high shelf.
Reply 151
Original post by Chumbaniya
Complex may be too strong a word, but if you're starting threads about how you believe everyone hates short men you obviously have some sort of issue with it. It's the typical response for any short man to say 'oh, I have no issue about my height' when the idea of compensating for it is raised, but that doesn't make it the case - when I say that I am chilled out about my height, I mean that I have never complained in earnest about my height, not that I'm making some hollow disclaimer. It is not a thing I consider a negative aspect of my person unless I'm trying to reach something on a high shelf.

Let me clarify, they are stating that I have the complex. It gets to the point where I have been told that I will never be in a leadership position because I was too short to look like a leader. Dreams. Smashed. Apparently I have an inferiority complex because I am a student pilot. Apparently I should be doing something else. It is quite petty.

I don't feel the need to compensate; it's not my fault that I'm short so why the heck do I need to make up for it?

Have you actually ever been told that you're not good enough for something or to do something because of that variable that you cannot control?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 152
Original post by aspirinpharmacist
I don't hate short guys. I'm short-ish for a girl, about 5"3, and my tall friends tease me a fair bit, so that's always a good laugh. Either way, most guys are taller than me, even those who are deemed "short". But I don't hate guys who are short. I wouldn't reject someone on grounds of their height, who says short guys are unattractive? I mean, Robert Downey Junior isn't especially tall. Neither are Andrew Scott or John Simm, as far as I know. They're all brilliant and lovely. :love: For me, someone who's about 6"2 or something would tower over me. It would be a hilarious sight. So shorter is good. But it is a little odd with people who are shorter than me, I'm not used to it. There's a moment of "What is this strange sensation? Ah, yes, I'm not craning my neck to look at you. Hello!" Very rare though. But no, I don't hate people because they're short, I don't necessarily like them because they're short either. I mean, I know one guy who's barely an inch taller than me, he's fantastic, love him to bits. Don't know anyone who doesn't like him. I don't think he gets teased a lot for his height, he's too lovely for that. Nobody would dare. Another guy I know is fairly short and an absolute arse. Can't stand the man. So it's personality for me. I try to judge each person on their own merits, not just in terms of attractiveness, just in general. :smile:

Original post by ct2k7

You're welcome I guess. :lol: Seventeen. Assuming you're older since you're doing aviation training and all. :smile:
I don't hate short guys. All the guys I've liked or been with in the past have been between 5'7 and 5'11 (except one)
I've personally got nothing against short guys. I'd actually prefer to have a bf nearer to my height if anything (I'm 5'4). My ex was 5'7 and he did look quite short in comparison to some of my guy mates but to me he was the perfect height.
Reply 156
You're welcome I guess. :lol: Seventeen. Assuming you're older since you're doing aviation training and all. :smile:

lol, yep, only 19. Turned only a few months ago.

Original post by chocolate buttons
I don't hate short guys. All the guys I've liked or been with in the past have been between 5'7 and 5'11 (except one)

For some reason, following Twitter, things look a bit better lately. I'm not the fittest guy around, nor am I very attractive, physically, but I know I can make someone laugh.

What I dislike and cannot figure out are people's preconceived notions or dedications about my ability based on my height only.

I had an argument in an aircraft once with a taller boy who was ignoring my commands (as pilot in command) then make direct reference to my height. WTF was that? Am I just meeting a lot of shallow girls and ignorant people?
Reply 157
Original post by Charlottelisabeth
I've personally got nothing against short guys. I'd actually prefer to have a bf nearer to my height if anything (I'm 5'4). My ex was 5'7 and he did look quite short in comparison to some of my guy mates but to me he was the perfect height.

I know how it feels, I'd prefer someone my height, but I haven't found anyone at all (who'd give me time without attacking my height); but I haven't been looking since November.
Original post by ct2k7
lol, yep, only 19. Turned only a few months ago.

For some reason, following Twitter, things look a bit better lately. I'm not the fittest guy around, nor am I very attractive, physically, but I know I can make someone laugh.

What I dislike and cannot figure out are people's preconceived notions or dedications about my ability based on my height only.

I had an argument in an aircraft once with a taller boy who was ignoring my commands (as pilot in command) then make direct reference to my height. WTF was that? Am I just meeting a lot of shallow girls and ignorant people?

Practically ancient. :lol:

The ability to make someone laugh is vital. Seriously, I can't believe some people underestimate the power this can have.

That is slightly ridiculous (I know the second half of the post wasn't aimed at me, decided to be cheeky and respond anyway). You must know some complete morons. Height has no bearing on your ability to do a job. With a few exceptions. Occasionally taller people are more suited to a job than shorter people, and vice versa.
Reply 159
Practically ancient. :lol:

The ability to make someone laugh is vital. Seriously, I can't believe some people underestimate the power this can have.

That is slightly ridiculous (I know the second half of the post wasn't aimed at me, decided to be cheeky and respond anyway). You must know some complete morons. Height has no bearing on your ability to do a job. With a few exceptions. Occasionally taller people are more suited to a job than shorter people, and vice versa.

Now now, if I'm ancient where's that leaving you :0 (I'm now looking back at April when I had my birthday... Damn you months!)

Indeed, even a smile is worth something.

I don't get out that much, flight training is intensive, it's like a degree compressed into 6 months, and on top of that, your employers look at your results. Basically, if you haven't scored an average of 90%+ in your 14 exams, you're screwed. Contact I get with people is somewhat minimal. Occasionally I do go out; have had older, married women flirting with me and asking me to sleep with them... :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending