The Student Room Group

Why do people hate short guys?

For a girl, it's acceptable for her to be short.

For a guy it's not. It's already bad not being in demand, and thus, unattractive to most girls out there, physically, but some women/girls go as far as to validate their comments with absurd points, such as:

Short men not being "REAL men";

All short men having a 'Napoleon' complex;

Bad genetics;

Taller men are better protectors;

Small mean being incapable.

It's bad enough that way, but I've honestly had many taller men trying to start a fight with me - I don't want to fight.

It's not as if taller men were better protectors and/or hunters in the Neanderthal and previous era: men were stocky and shorter due to adaptations to the local environment, and being tall certainly wasn't an advantage as such in hunting or protecting.

I am a very short young man, so my dating options are VERY limited. :frown: Some people telling me to find someone shorter than me - yeah, I don't see many women or girls short than me at all. I get that everyone has their preferences, but don't tell me that I'm less capable than someone else due to something that I can't control. In fact, these preferences are actually requirements. I'm as good as a protector than someone who's very tall. Women seem to absolutely hate short men, or even the idea of men. One woman even said that all short men should be rounded up and shot. Women hate being seen as attractive to short men, it's a complete "turn off". Don't even think that being confident that significantly impact things either - it really doesn't at my stage, at least. Saying that "the right person will come along eventually" doesn't even help either; most, and the majority will discriminate and filter out based on initial impressions (physical).

There's also a double standard when it comes to behaviour. A shorter man is seen as having a complex if he pursues or chases something (not necessarily aggressively), but for a taller person, it is seen as acceptable or even desirable. Why is this? I don't understand why I need to "make up" for my height. Does being taller make me any better? I wouldn't think so.

One girl even said this "Short guys should serve a year in pen for every inch they are under 5'9.". Gee, that's pretty much half of the male population in North. America.

I really don't understand this. It's acceptable to discriminate on the basis of height, but not on something, let's just say, weight.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ct2k7
For a girl, it's acceptable for her to be short.

For a guy it's not. It's already bad not being in demand, and thus, unattractive to most girls out there, physically, but some women/girls go as far as to validate their comments with absurd points, such as:

Short men not being "REAL men";

All short men having a 'Napoleon' complex;

Bad genetics;

Taller men are better protectors;

Small mean being incapable.

It's bad enough that way, but I've honestly had many taller men trying to start a fight with me - I don't want to fight.

It's not as if taller men were better protectors and/or hunters in the Neanderthal and previous era: men were stocky and shorter due to adaptations to the local environment, and being tall certainly wasn't an advantage as such in hunting or protecting.

I am a very short young man, so my dating options are VERY limited. :frown: Some people telling me to find someone shorter than me - yeah, I don't see many women or girls short than me at all. I get that everyone has their preferences, but don't tell me that I'm less capable than someone else due to something that I can't control. In fact, these preferences are actually requirements. I'm as good as a protector than someone who's very tall. Women seem to absolutely hate short men, or even the idea of men. One woman even said that all short men should be rounded up and shot. Women hate being seen as attractive to short men, it's a complete "turn off". Don't even think that being confident that significantly impact things either - it really doesn't at my stage, at least. Saying that "the right person will come along eventually" doesn't even help either; most, and the majority will discriminate and filter out based on initial impressions (physical).

There's also a double standard when it comes to behaviour. A shorter man is seen as having a complex if he pursues or chases something (not necessarily aggressively), but for a taller person, it is seen as acceptable or even desirable. Why is this? I don't understand why I need to "make up" for my height. Does being taller make me any better? I wouldn't think so.

One girl even said this "Short guys should serve a year in pen for every inch they are under 5'9.". Gee, that's pretty much half of the male population in North. America.

I really don't understand this. It's acceptable to discriminate on the basis of height, but not on something, let's just say, weight.

Hey, I wouldn't let your height get you down! Alias I am not a boy, but I am only 4'8 and it doesn't bother me one bit! Shorter guys are cute and it means I dont have to stand on my tiptoes! There will be someone out there for you, but for the moment ignore the discrimination because it isn't what is on the outside, it is what is on the inside that counts! (:
Reply 2
Original post by sophieleannexo
Hey, I wouldn't let your height get you down! Alias I am not a boy, but I am only 4'8 and it doesn't bother me one bit! Shorter guys are cute and it means I dont have to stand on my tiptoes! There will be someone out there for you, but for the moment ignore the discrimination because it isn't what is on the outside, it is what is on the inside that counts! (:

Thanks sophieleannexo :smile:

I know it's the inside that counts - I'm in a relationship, and well, let's just say that I honestly do not give a damn that people think we look ridiculous together.

I really honestly cannot tell people what I'm doing or my future job will be, because of the comments and what I'll end up feeling because of their comments.
Reply 3
I'm 5'10, so not sure if I qualify as short. Where I'm from I'm quite tall (miner genes), but at uni the only people shorter than me are people from the same area (east midlands).

It's very much a tribal/caveman thing. Men had to be the "alpha" to get with the girls (so had to be the biggest, strongest badass). There are people on TSR that think the term "alpha male" is only used by those who are desperate and looking for excuses. I'm sorry, TSR hipsters, but in nature alpha males (and females) very much exist, and humans are part of that nature.

Mind the rant there OP.

So yeah, women have basically "evolved" (want for a better word) to only go for the tallest, strongest and fittest male they can. I don't blame them either.

You are also right about people who say "the right person will come eventually..." To others here, don't patronise him with that tripe, it is not always true. There are many people who go through their whole lives without finding anyone who would date them.

All I can suggest to you OP is to hit the gym and bulk up. Ignore those who start saying "Nepoleon complex" (who was not short back in his day, only by our 21st century standards), so next time a tall **** starts on you you can kick two lumps of **** out of him and take his girl, real caveman style!

Spoiler

(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ct2k7
Thanks sophieleannexo :smile:

I know it's the inside that counts - I'm in a relationship, and well, let's just say that I honestly do not give a damn that people think we look ridiculous together.

I really honestly cannot tell people what I'm doing or my future job will be, because of the comments and what I'll end up feeling because of their comments.

Well that's the attitude to have, you shouldn't care! I'm in a relationship too and my boyfriend is only 5'7 so! And if you want to tell me I wouldn't comment negatively, just inbox me.
Reply 5
Original post by Alpharius
It's very much a tribal/caveman thing. Men had to be the "alpha" to get with the girls (so had to be the biggest, strongest badass). There are people on TSR that think the term "alpha male" is only used by those who are desperate and looking for excuses. I'm sorry, TSR hipsters, but in nature alpha males (and females) very much exist, and humans are part of that nature.

Mind the rant there OP.

So yeah, women have basically "evolved" (want for a better word) to only go for the tallest, strongest and fittest male they can. I don't blame them either.

The problem with that, is, as I explained, in the caveman times, taller people weren't the strongest, or the fittest. In that, a taller person is required to eat more than a smaller person, and they aren't exactly very agile either.

I know it sort of seems like a rant - maybe it is, but it's fueled by my lack of understanding of it.

You are also right about people who say "the right person will come eventually..." To others here, don't patronise him with that tripe, it is not always true. There are many people who go through their whole lives without finding anyone who would date them.

true

All I can suggest to you OP is to hit the gym and bulk up. Ignore those who start saying "Nepoleon complex" (who was not short back in his day, only by our 21st century standards), so next time a tall **** starts on you you can kick two lumps of **** out of him and take his girl, real caveman style!

Spoiler

I already go to the gym - I'm quite stocky and muscular, and I get a lot of random hugs by girls when I go out because I look "and feel" like a teddy bear. Napoleon was average height, if I recall correctly.

I've done some MMA training when I was younger, so I can recall. I've already had to defend myself against someone taller, I definitely know how to fight - not that I want to use that knowledge and experience.
Reply 6
Original post by sophieleannexo
Well that's the attitude to have, you shouldn't care! I'm in a relationship too and my boyfriend is only 5'7 so! And if you want to tell me I wouldn't comment negatively, just inbox me.

One thing I absolutely abhor is people projecting and effectively compounding their insecurities on other people. That's what I see it as them doing. I'm comfortable with being someone of any height - everyone else seems not to, apart from my lover.
Reply 7
Original post by ct2k7
The problem with that, is, as I explained, in the caveman times, taller people weren't the strongest, or the fittest. In that, a taller person is required to eat more than a smaller person, and they aren't exactly very agile either.

I know it sort of seems like a rant - maybe it is, but it's fueled by my lack of understanding of it.

That would be the case, but the average height of Homo sapiens in the Neolithic was roughly 5'6. Not massive, and if they were the biggest, you just have to look into animal groups to realise they would get the lions share of the food.

If people today were sent back to the Neolithic, the freakishly tall (6'3+) would struggle massively to feed themselves. But my point is that standards in size have changed since the Neolithic, we initially decreased in size (less meat, more grain in diet), and only recently far surpassed the old Neolithic average.

So you aren't wrong, but in some ways you are :tongue:
I'm 5' 5 3/4" I used to get down about my height, but now I've pretty much accepted it and just don't react at all when people try to get you down, they only do it for a reaction (and to feel good about there own insecurities)

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
We've all got certain features we've got to deal with, lol...

Brad pitt isn't even 6ft, for example
Just remembered this, thought it'd inspire you shorties...

Now do a Napoleon and take over the world. See who's laughing then!

:cool:
Original post by Stephen_b_1993
I'm 5' 5 3/4" I used to get down about my height, but now I've pretty much accepted it and just don't react at all when people try to get you down, they only do it for a reaction (and to feel good about there own insecurities)

That is the right attitude to have. Haters gonna hate.
Reply 11
Original post by Alpharius
That would be the case, but the average height of Homo sapiens in the Neolithic was roughly 5'6. Not massive, and if they were the biggest, you just have to look into animal groups to realise they would get the lions share of the food.

If people today were sent back to the Neolithic, the freakishly tall (6'3+) would struggle massively to feed themselves. But my point is that standards in size have changed since the Neolithic, we initially decreased in size (less meat, more grain in diet), and only recently far surpassed the old Neolithic average.

So you aren't wrong, but in some ways you are :tongue:

Hmm ok :smile:

I used to find it easy - I don't even see myself as being different than anyone else. I know they do it to feel good about their own insecurities, but it's pretty hard when you're being bashed about your height on a daily basis, and you're not taken seriously by your peers. What's even worse is that your peers complain to you about you having a complex when you're pretty much outdoing them in an area or something. It's incredibly frustrating and I can't get away from it, but I also can't ignore it. Someone challenging my masculinity will get a reaction, however.
Tom cruise is my height, so is the irritating Justin bieber but they've done ok haha

Reply 13
Tom cruise is my height, so is the irritating Justin bieber but they've done ok haha

I think the rules of the game change when you reach that social status, the object pretty much becomes money and fame in addition to other things, but with those being the primary.

Talking of Tom Cruise, has anyone else seen the Twittosphere exploding with comments relating to his height, based on what his soon to be ex said?
I watched a video on YouTube about a guy in your situation he said to compensate he worked on other areas such as his body and personality. Not to say being short is a bad thing, but it might help build you confidence :h:
I am a girl with the opposite problem im 5ft 11! and sometimes i swear men over 5ft9 do not exist haha! but I would never discard a man because of his height I would without question consider dating a shorter man granted i would have to say shortest i would go is 5ft8 otherwise id look like a tit and Id look like the man.!. For me I wouldnt want to be hughely bigger than the guy because I would feel a bit lke i said the bloke! however I would certainly have no issues dating someboy 2/3 inches shorter.

There will be girls who are 5ft3/4/5 wh would happily date you , people always make comments because they can because we live in a world where making somebody else feel crap makes people feel better aboyut themselves. I went out last night and I must of been told 10 times 'wow your tall' which is fine but I also ended up in an arguement with a girl who told me 'your ugly lanky and tall and every dress is tiny and short on you you look like a hooker' it upset me but then I worked on the positives and told her 'least ive got the legs to pull a dress off while she had stumpy little tree trunks.

People will always find something to be nasty about whether its your hair colour, your eyes, your body, your height, your voice we live in a shallow world, however you need to find the people who are not like you wo love you for who you are

Height is irrelevent .
Reply 16
instead of thinking, "taller girls won't go for me", try "I won't go for taller girls"... if that's your preference. And I mean well taller like 3-4 inches and above.
Reply 17
Original post by hannah60000
I watched a video on YouTube about a guy in your situation he said to compensate he worked on other areas such as his body and personality. Not to say being short is a bad thing, but it might help build you confidence :h:

I don't think it's my confidence in question here - I am questioning the very nature of it. However, having to increase/build confidence for a perceived deficiency isn't always the solution to the problem. Overall, a shorter man is not in demand as a taller one, and, as much confidence as a guy can have, it can mean absolutely nothing in the dating world. I think one of the worst things I have seen is a couple, with kids, splitting because she wasn't happy with his height and effectively cheated on him with someone else, stating height as the primary reason for her leaving him. That is the worst thing I've read.

Original post by SillyMilly
I am a girl with the opposite problem im 5ft 11! and sometimes i swear men over 5ft9 do not exist haha! but I would never discard a man because of his height I would without question consider dating a shorter man granted i would have to say shortest i would go is 5ft8 otherwise id look like a tit and Id look like the man.!. For me I wouldnt want to be hughely bigger than the guy because I would feel a bit lke i said the bloke! however I would certainly have no issues dating someboy 2/3 inches shorter.

There will be girls who are 5ft3/4/5 wh would happily date you , people always make comments because they can because we live in a world where making somebody else feel crap makes people feel better aboyut themselves. I went out last night and I must of been told 10 times 'wow your tall' which is fine but I also ended up in an arguement with a girl who told me 'your ugly lanky and tall and every dress is tiny and short on you you look like a hooker' it upset me but then I worked on the positives and told her 'least ive got the legs to pull a dress off while she had stumpy little tree trunks.

People will always find something to be nasty about whether its your hair colour, your eyes, your body, your height, your voice we live in a shallow world, however you need to find the people who are not like you wo love you for who you are

Height is irrelevent .

I've actually found women at that height even worse when it comes to height.

I know people will always compound me with their own height insecurities, as it's easy for them and makes them feel better. It's not that I can't deal with it (well, I'm becoming less able as time goes by, but that's not the problem), I'm questioning the very nature of it.

Original post by Samrout
instead of thinking, "taller girls won't go for me", try "I won't go for taller girls"... if that's your preference. And I mean well taller like 3-4 inches and above.

I'm 5'2". I am very limited in what I can choose, if I can choose at all.
I don't think all girls think like that. For some personality is more important.
seriously mate I think shorter guys are way hotter. They're at the right height to do the important things.
I think things we underestimate in ourselves like height, weight, breast size etc but it's a good filter filtering out superficial people so in the end u have a person who likes u just for u
Reply 19
I would never say never to going out with someone smaller than me, I mean my dad is quite a lot shorter than my mum and they are happy together!

Its more an issue with me being tall than the guy being short to me, I hate looking like a beast next to a guy, im quite tall 5'9/10 ish, so being with someone shorter I would feel self concious about looking manly, if I liked the guy enough I think that feeling would eventually go.

I dislike it when girls are obsessed with heights, I find it hard to believe that any girls actually made those comments that you said but I do know quite a few very short girls who are constantly chasing guys 6ft and over and I don't get it? I think it looks ridiculous when there is like a 5ft girl trying to grind on a 6ft 2 guy.

But anyway you just have to look around, there are couples of all shapes and sizes everywhere, even though you don't have a very wide set of options you will still have options throughout life, and in the long run its the personality that matters. I don't think girls see shorter men than less capable I really do think its a case of a girl thinking about how you will look as a couple over anything else, which a girl will eventually grow out of.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending