Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Any advice would be appreciated..

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Live webchat: Student Finance explained - on TSR from 2 - 3pm 17-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,

In need of some advice please.

I graduated in 2001 (BA), which I used a student loan for (the days when fees were reasonable). I am wanting to study again, however I can not afford the tuition fees now (like most). I have seen a foundation degree (2 years) at Huddersfield Uni, which I would like to do. I just wondered if I was eligible for an extension on my student loan? Has anyone else done this? I have tried to get through to the SLC for advice, but its like trying to contact the pope. It seems the policies change year to year. Any advice on funding or student loans would be appreciated.

Thanks

Chris
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    You've already done an undergrad, and want to do another? Maybe you should look into doing a post-grad degree, may be more beneficial!
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    As far as im aware once youve used up your student loan thats it you cant get another one unless you have a very friendly local bank who're willing to put up the cash for it.. as kaneboy said it'd probably be more beneficial [and cheaper!] to do a post grad
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Youre only allowed a student loan for one undergrad course, and i think you're then allowed it for one postgrad, depending on the actual postgrad.

This is the impression i got though... I may or may not be right.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was told you can't get any loans for post-grad at all (elldeegee).
    But yes, you can only get student loans for one undergrad course, and it seems you've done that. Unless you can save money or get a personal loan, I don't think it would be possible.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for you feedback folks..much appreciated..

So it looks like the only way I can study again is by saving.. hmm a bit disappointing.

Thanks

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 4, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.