Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

HR how to get in?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, I have made a few threads here now and again but I was wondering if anyone knew what is the best way to get into HR without a CIPD certificate? (I wouldn't mind studying for one part time whilst I work at a company I have a 2:1 degree already in Soc/Crim)
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    From my experience at two different companies, both with a large amount of employees and operating all over the world, people in HR are predominantly school leavers with the odd person who did business studies at the local university.
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    So..many...acronyms and abbreviations :lolwut:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would look for HR Assistant or similar role in a 'big' company. Chances are you won't need a CIPD qualification (although it's useful to have obviously), and they will pay for you to study for one whilst you work (in my experience albeit in your own time). The work I would think you will be doing at this level whilst studying will be very admin based but you'll get exposure to - and experience of - bigger things just by being in a HR department.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    From my experience at two different companies, both with a large amount of employees and operating all over the world, people in HR are predominantly school leavers with the odd person who did business studies at the local university.
    Someone doesn't like HR eh?

There are plenty of HR grad schemes with big companies that'll provide training for all the qualifications you need.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Cool cool, some interesting replies. I don't mind doing an internship but it's hard to find that one company that'll take me on.
    • 7 followers

(Original post by randomgeeza)
    Hi there, I have made a few threads here now and again but I was wondering if anyone knew what is the best way to get into HR without a CIPD certificate? (I wouldn't mind studying for one part time whilst I work at a company I have a 2:1 degree already in Soc/Crim)
    I'm in exactly the same boat; studied Criminology and Sociology, achieved a 2:1, graduated 2 years ago, and can't get anything remotely related to my degree. Now I am taking the HR route, and finding it incredibly difficult. I have come to the conclusion to study the CIPD course at college, £960 for the Foundation CHRP in order to gain any experience, more so knowledge. All the HR admin assistant positions I have attempted to secure, have all said ''No exp. or academic knowledge - no chance''! So in order to better my prospects, that is what I am going to try and do in September in order to get a HR job (even if it means starting at the bottom).

It is incredibly competitive and difficult, but keep trying. As for securing the Grad. schemes, those have more or less all closed for 2012, they reopen again about Autumn time, ready for 2013 intake.

Hope that is useful.
    • 44 followers

ReputationRep:
    In an ideal world, you need to be called Emma or Nicki, wear a Oasis top, ballet pumps and live at one of the far ends of the Metropolitan Line.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DancinBallerina)
    I'm in exactly the same boat; studied Criminology and Sociology, achieved a 2:1, graduated 2 years ago, and can't get anything remotely related to my degree. Now I am taking the HR route, and finding it incredibly difficult. I have come to the conclusion to study the CIPD course at college, £960 for the Foundation CHRP in order to gain any experience, more so knowledge. All the HR admin assistant positions I have attempted to secure, have all said ''No exp. or academic knowledge - no chance''! So in order to better my prospects, that is what I am going to try and do in September in order to get a HR job (even if it means starting at the bottom).

It is incredibly competitive and difficult, but keep trying. As for securing the Grad. schemes, those have more or less all closed for 2012, they reopen again about Autumn time, ready for 2013 intake.

Hope that is useful.
    Keep me posted through via PM how you're getting on. You are roughly in the same boat as me due to your degree.

(Original post by flo_)
    Before that, I suggest to get a head start and keep up to date with HR job opportunities so you have an idea of what to expect beforehand.

I joined Milkround today, which is specifically tailored to look for internships and graduate jobs for students. I highly recommend joining it, you never know what might come up. Hope this helped!

This is the link here: http://www.milkround.com/r6355499
    Just have, hopefully I find something. I am desperate to find something!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was fortunate and got a temp HR job at an oil company in Aberdeen through word of mouth and good timing. From what I've seen while working there it's a good idea to keep putting in the speculative CVs and instead of just targeting corporate email addresses, maybe try sending them in to contract recruitment mailboxes (I don't know how widespread these are, but in the oil industry it's common for one company to "own" the rig and another to "operate" it under contract and be responsible for a lot of the personnel on there). On the contract I'm on, we pass on CVs to other contracts if we don't have openings for good candidates.

I don't know what your situation is at the moment, but if you're signing on then getting to know your advisor and building a rapport with them might help as well. The word of mouth aspect of my job came from a conversation with someone at the job centre who happened to know of the opening. It might also be worth registering with a temp agency to try to get some experience, especially just now with people going on holiday over the summer. There are likely to be a lot of companies looking for people to tide them over while employees are away.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'd quite like a HR job too, I'm in the same position. but all the ones I've seen train graduates for 2 years to be a manager, but I just want to be a common worker!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 7, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.