The Student Room Group

S6 subject help please!

Hi i am doing 5 highers this year: Chemistry, Maths , English, Administration and History. I am hopping to get AABBB as i would like to get into a business course.

I have just seen a practise sheet for subjects for next year and i am thinking of crashing accounts and finance and business management, i also want to do higher pe.

What do you think of those choices as some people are saying i am being stupid to do pe?

Also should i be worried at this point that my english teacher has only given us 2 texts for the exam as i am absolutely hopeless at essay writing and i know i will definately struggle. Also i find maths difficult and any tips would be welcome.

Thanks guys :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I wouldnt say doing PE is stupid its something you enjoy and if you got the desired grade im pretty sure that would get you into a business course.

As regarding English I would personally be worried with only two texts. So far ive done a novel, a play, two poems and we are about to start a short story.

Maths is just a case of getting as much practise as you can. If you post in the academic help area specific questions that you need help with people are generally quite quick to respond.

Mike
Reply 2
Dhesi
I wouldnt say doing PE is stupid its something you enjoy and if you got the desired grade im pretty sure that would get you into a business course.

As regarding English I would personally be worried with only two texts. So far ive done a novel, a play, two poems and we are about to start a short story.

Maths is just a case of getting as much practise as you can. If you post in the academic help area specific questions that you need help with people are generally quite quick to respond.

Mike

Thanks i find PE fun but the careers advisor at my school and my friends are saying that most unis will not accept pe as a higher for some reason (she is also saying that for Higher Admin), the sport we would be doing for practical is basketball and i am quite good at that so i think i may stick with pe not sure tho.

English, well our teacher says that if we know the 2 texts inside out we will be fine but i am really getting worried regarding essays now, the texts we are doing are Romeo and Juliet and The Great Gatsby.
Reply 3
Yes they are pretty standard choices but if I were the teacher I would allow the pupils a little freedom as to what they write about on the day. For example I will only write about my play if the other questions arnt as good and therefore its beneficial to have that choice. But you cant really force thee teacher to do another text.
Reply 4
i dont think he will start another text so late on so i will have to know them back to front!
Reply 5
That would be the best bet then. Any particular areas in maths you're worried about because it doesnt really help to say maths in general.
Reply 6
Eek, I did 11 texts, though my class did go a bit overboard :wink: :biggrin:
I only prepared three for the exam - one prose, one drama, one poetry.

As to choices, have you looked into uni courses? If you get AABBB I would think that would get you into most business courses in Scotland, and it's only if you want to look further afield you'd need to worry about more grades I think. (tbh, I know someone who got one C in fifth year and only got reject from one business course IIRC).
A friend of mine now studying medicine thought to do Higher PE in 6th year as he enjoyed sports and thought it might be useful for medicine. He dropped it after about a week, saying it was utterly useless. That said, if you are keen, I would go for it. My mum ( a teacher) told me unis wouldn't take music seriously, but I did it in 6th year when I had my highers in the bag, and no problems :smile:
hey i did crash accounts last year and it was awesome! it's a really good course and if u are studyin or have astudied admin too it helps as it is related. I am doin higher business management this year at college cos there wasnt much to do in my school so i left, it is really easy when u have the admin and accounts knowledge as once again they are linked. Do pe cos u need to do subjects u enjoy in ur final year otherwise it'll drag out. You get involved in stuff in 6th yr that takes up more of ur time too like organising events, so u dont want to be doin subjects that ur goin to struggle with unless u really have to.
Buy past papers and do every essay u can and get ur teacher to mark them for u. Also make sure u stick to the time limit it'll help alot. I only did a novel and a play last year and failed my english but i'm doin better now cos i have done more practise.
Reply 8
babyblonde01
hey i did crash accounts last year and it was awesome! it's a really good course and if u are studyin or have astudied admin too it helps as it is related. I am doin higher business management this year at college cos there wasnt much to do in my school so i left, it is really easy when u have the admin and accounts knowledge as once again they are linked. Do pe cos u need to do subjects u enjoy in ur final year otherwise it'll drag out. You get involved in stuff in 6th yr that takes up more of ur time too like organising events, so u dont want to be doin subjects that ur goin to struggle with unless u really have to.
Buy past papers and do every essay u can and get ur teacher to mark them for u. Also make sure u stick to the time limit it'll help alot. I only did a novel and a play last year and failed my english but i'm doin better now cos i have done more practise.

thanks for the advice makes me feel a bit better knowing that the 3 business subjects are related. And i think i will probably do pe for sure and i am doing loads of english practise in the hope that i can get 15 for both of my essays- 30/50. Then hopefully get over 35 for close reading and (i think) thats a B.
So thanks to everyone with the advice!
Reply 9
Yeah it is a B but I would aim higher in the essays because close reading is probably the harder bit.
Reply 10
Dhesi
Yeah it is a B but I would aim higher in the essays because close reading is probably the harder bit.

I usually find that essays are my downfall. I usually manage to get a pass for my close reading and i have been working hard to improve my analysis questions. So that leaves the essays and i honestly think if i got 15 for both of them that would be great.
Oh gawd I hated Maths so much, and really couldn't do it.

I guess it's all about motivation for the grades that you want to achieve really.

From my lazy point of view I'm only doing one crash higher, because it's quite a lot of work really. I'm crashing Biology. But with crashing Highers I think there is a real motivation to do well to prove that you can do it without SG/Int2 background, so go ahead!

From what we were told, universities like to see a broad spectrum of subjects. From all different fields.

Are you going to do any Advanced Highers next year?
Reply 12
thanks.
i dont think so as the adv highers are chem, physics, biology, maths and english and i dont wanna do any of em!
Reply 13
I dont think you will have to to get into buisness.
Reply 14
Seriously, check up uni prospectuses for if you need AHs. There's no point doing a subject you don't want to if you don't have to.

As regards English and what you need to aim higher on, different people find different bits hard. My teacher mentioned that people tend to do better on the close reading, and my essays were always always always much better. You're the one who knows what you need to work on :smile:
Reply 15
well i just found out that my stupid school have decided to put p.e and business into the same column and now i have to choose and i probably will do business as thats what i want to be and all. I am really annoyed and getting slightly worried at lack of subjects!
Reply 16
Sounds familiar :biggrin:
You thought about where you want to go to uni yet?
Reply 17
hopefully either glasgow or strathclyde

:smile:
Reply 18
Acaila
Seriously, check up uni prospectuses for if you need AHs. There's no point doing a subject you don't want to if you don't have to.

the Edinburgh prospectus has a handy wee table near the front which tells you which Hs and AHs it accepts and which ones it doesnt...i'll post a wee list of the ones it doesn't soon
Reply 19
Highers/Advanced Highers Edinburgh doesn't accept:

Home Economics
Applied Mathematics (but it does accept the regular H/AH Mathematics courses)

i thought there was more than that :s-smilie: ...ah well

Latest

Trending

Trending