Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should the national anthem be changed?

Announcements Posted on
  • View Poll Results: Which of these should be the UK national anthem?
    God Save the Queen
    36.27%
    Land of Hope and Glory
    18.63%
    Rule Britannia!
    16.67%
    I Vow to Thee, My Country
    9.80%
    Other
    18.63%

• 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    Archers Theme tune.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bhogs001)
    We could do this for the English national anthem........

The slight irony is it's being played by the Renault car! (Might be why one of the guys has his fingers in his ears)
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CurlyBen)

The slight irony is it's being played by the Renault car! (Might be why one of the guys has his fingers in his ears)
    that is so cool!!!!!

HAHA the irony!
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd say England needs its own national anthem, which I think should either be Jerusalem or Land of Hope and Glory for playing at sporting events where England alone are taking part i.e. World Cup/Commonwealth Games, but God Save The Queen should remain for UK/GB sporting events i.e. the Olympics.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    This

• 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Not British, but I find it strange that the national anthem of a country should be about a person, the Queen. You can simultaneously love Britain and have no love for the Queen so I think GSTQ should only be sung at Royal events. Why not Jerusalem or Land of Hope and Glory which seem much more relevant.
    Britain is so much more than the Royal Family.
    Jerusalem can't be the British national anthem as it's about England. Also it seems a bit weird to use a song named after a city in another country as a national anthem.

Also both that and Land of Hope and Glory have religious connotations. Obviously "God Save the Queen" does too, but if you're saying the national anthem should be inclusive of republicans then by rights it should also be inclusive of people who don't believe in god.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Pomp and Circumstance - that makes me feel really patriotic
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    I've never really understood the reason behind this as clearly "Jerusalem wasn't builded here"
    The idea is using Jerusalem as a metaphor for being a safe haven and a great place to live. The song is directly about England and even uses it by name. On a more humanity scale, it shows that we as a species are capable of making our home what Jerusalem was back in the day. People outside of England are inspired by it as well.

(Original post by Jerusalem)
    I will not cease from mental fight,
    Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand,
    Till we have built Jerusalem
    In England's green and pleasant land.
    It's barely a metaphor, it's literally saying 'I will not give up until we've built ''Jerusalem'' here'. Even the manner of how you fight for it doesn't necessarily mean violence.

I'm not sure of the history but my interpretation is that it relates to the crusades and to say that we didn't really need the literal city, Jerusalem, we're happy with what we've got, which relates to the idea of being happy with yourself even if you didn't win or succeed and not to make yourself suffer over it.

For all you rockers out there, here's a version which sounds very Bruce Dickinson-esque and slightly Brian May-ish:

• 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukip72)
    Is Jerusalem not an English rather than British song, and therefore not appropriate for the union?
    God Save The Queen goes on about crushing rebellious Scots and Rule Britania only refers to England. As far as I'm concerned none on your list are appropriate
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Rule Britannia
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    I love 'I Vow To Thee, My Country'.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    God save the Queen when it's a British event/team and Jerusalem or Land of Hope and Glory for English event/team, afterall Wales & Scotland play their own anthems when they play as a national team so why shouldn't England have it's own?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't mind GSTQ when it's used as the British National Anthem, but I'd much prefer England to have its own national anthem (Jerusalem or Land of Hope and Glory). Scotland and Wales have their own, and I feel left out
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiss)
    God Save The Queen goes on about crushing rebellious Scots and Rule Britania only refers to England. As far as I'm concerned none on your list are appropriate
    This is just plain wrong.

God Save the Queen does not contain a verse about crushing rebellious Scots at all. That was a temporary additional verse that was added during the period of the second Jacobite Rebellion, it isn't in the song at all anymore.

Also, Rule Britannia was written by a Scot and doesn't refer only to England.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiss)
    All are appropriate, do your research.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Traditions cannot be created by proclamation or designed by a committee around a boardroom table. Leave the national anthem exactly as it is.
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    I like how some athletes cry to their national anthem but with God save the Queen, you just can't cry to it :erm:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am a republican so I would like the English National Anthem to be changed if I was English. It is no big deal though IMO.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snagprophet)
    For all you rockers out there, here's a version which sounds very Bruce Dickinson-esque and slightly Brian May-ish:
    Genius!

(Original post by Kiss)
    God Save The Queen goes on about crushing rebellious Scots and Rule Britania only refers to England.
    Rule Britannia never refers to England.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiss)
    A temporary verse, also note the noun phrase 'rebellious Scots' to distinguish as opposed to 'Scots' in general.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 17, 2012
New on TSR

'Stalking pages' have changed!

Find other uni applicants with University Connect

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.