The Student Room Group

TV License Query

Jsut a quick question.

Do you need a tv license to watch US only channels (online )live such as bloomberg?

Thanks
Reply 1
I think watching those channels is illegal-ish isn't it? Maybe?

I assume one would only need a TV license for live UK TV channels, so if you're watching them AND American channels then yes, you'd need a TV license
Original post by Axion
Jsut a quick question.

Do you need a tv license to watch US only channels (online )live such as bloomberg?

Thanks

I don't know but I doubt it very much. I know you need one to watch British shows on the internet.
Reply 4
Watching TV on the internet You need to be covered by a licence if you watch TV online at the same time as it's being broadcast on conventional TV in the UK or the Channel Islands.

Hmm, still not sure!

Im only going to sue it for bloomberg. I dont think bloomberg is on freeview. this is really confusing!
Original post by Axion
Watching TV on the internet You need to be covered by a licence if you watch TV online at the same time as it's being broadcast on conventional TV in the UK or the Channel Islands.

Hmm, still not sure!

Im only going to sue it for bloomberg. I dont think bloomberg is on freeview. this is really confusing!

It's very simple. To watch live TV in the UK, whether the channel is from here or Azerbaijan, and whether you're watching it on a TV, laptop or internet toaster, you need a TV license.

If you watch it on a portable device completely disconnected from power sockets/internet cables etc. while away from your parents house, you are covered by their tv license.

EDIT: Though if the TV licensing people have interpreted the law as specifying that it only includes tv "being broadcast on conventional TV in the UK" then you'll be fine. Though I'd imagine Bloomberg is broadcast in the UK so you wouldn't be on that specific channel.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by cfizzle
I think watching those channels is illegal-ish isn't it? Maybe?

I assume one would only need a TV license for live UK TV channels, so if you're watching them AND American channels then yes, you'd need a TV license

they said they were only watching american programmes.

I wouldn't bother op even if you do need one. How are they going to catch you if you don't don't own an actual tv? **** TVL.
Reply 7
I'm actually a little confused on this now you mention it. I'm not sure the question is whether it's on Freeview or not; it's whether you can get it on say Sky or Virgin Media for example, which you can. I suspect you need a licence.

I bet if you phoned up they'd tell you you need one.

TV Licensing really could do with an independent body.
Reply 8
to complicate matters further!

Bloomberg Television (from United States)

There is bloomberg europe also. these are separate channels. i want to watch bloomberg US rather than bloomberg europe. is bloomberg US available in the uk?

See below:

http://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/channels/bloomberg.html

Thats for bloomberg EUROPE :/

FFS this is complex-
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest