Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Student Money Matters

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm new to this,

I am going to university of Manchester in the summer. The process of applying for the loan has made me realise that my parents are a lot more well off than I originally thought and therefore I will be getting around £3700 for the year maintenance. Due to their income also, after looking into it I don't think I am entitled to any bursaries or any other financial support.

My accomodation looks to be about £4500 I believe although this is yet to be confirmed. My question is for those who have had a similar situation how have you managed? I cant expect my parents to pay for everything I have got a part time job now but I know that it will not be so simple as just getting one over there it never is.

Another thing I want to know about is student bank accounts and student credit. I have a feeling I am really going to need this but about a year ago or so I took a credit card out that caused me real hassle and I subsequently have a poor credit rating. Is your credit score looked at by banks before allowing you to have a student overdraft?

Thanks for any help you can give.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wow your accomodation costs how much?! When I was at uni the most expensive I heard of was 3000.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to think I've made a massive balls up of the sums and it is actually a lot less but by the looks of it, it is a fair bit higher than my maintenance loan.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Student overdrafts id assume help alot
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    But will they be doing credit checks before I get an overdraft? Like I said I have quite a poor credit rating.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mouldynffc)
    But will they be doing credit checks before I get an overdraft? Like I said I have quite a poor credit rating.
    some do, but if you're loyal to your bank and have been with them for years then they might give it you
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think limit the spending amount on the unnecessary is very important. Finding a part time job is good too. Maybe you might want to check this site out. The company has found by Kings College students which is helping student to find part time jobs while studying at uni.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: July 3, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.