The Student Room Group

Any creative ways to get sponsored to go to private school?

Hey everyone. Ever since I started education, I've gone to state schools. Now I'm in Year 10 and I'm looking to see if I can get into to a very prestigious London day school.

I'm a very academic person (if I may say so myself...:rolleyes:) and I could potentially win a scholarship from this school myself. However, with the school being one of the best in the country, this will be incredibly hard and winning a bursary is probably unlikely.

I feel that if my parents were able to pay the full fees, I could get in. But although we aren't flat-out poor, we certainly aren't rich and there are three other children in our family. My parents work incredibly hard and I don't want to burden them with fees so I'm going to have to get full sponsorship from somewhere. :frown: I would LOVE to get into this school without pressuring my parents.

I remember reading an article about a girl who was able to get individuals and small companies to sponsor her, in able to attend the school of her dreams. Does anyone know any livery companies or scholarship funds that I could apply to? If not, how could I go about getting normal people/small businesses to sponsor me?

So, so sorry for the long (and probably boring) post. I would be so grateful if you could help me.
Reply 1
Check the school for scholarships/bursaries, if you want funding from then. There's often a policy have where they'll help subsidise people that's parents earn under a certain amount of money. But, there's no guarantees.

Secondly, it's rare that they really care about how 'good' you are, provided that you are of average intelligence and are reasonably well behaved. They want the money.
Reply 2
Original post by kaneboy
Check the school for scholarships/bursaries, if you want funding from then. There's often a policy have where they'll help subsidise people that's parents earn under a certain amount of money. But, there's no guarantees.

Secondly, it's rare that they really care about how 'good' you are, provided that you are of average intelligence and are reasonably well behaved. They want the money.

Well, to be fair to the school, they have quite a good bursary policy. Most fee-paying schools rarely or never give out full scholarships but the school I'm talking about does. The problem is whether I'll be able to beat tons of super-brainy girls to one of these scholarships.

And I totally agree with your second point. It's true that if I could pay all the money, I would be able to get in like a key through a key hole. However, without millionaire parents, I'm going to have to be some kind of quadratic-equation-solving girl robot to get in. :tongue: That's why I'm trying to see if I can get sponsorship some other way to increase my chances...
Reply 3
Original post by TotallyJustMe
Well, to be fair to the school, they have quite a good bursary policy. Most fee-paying schools rarely or never give out full scholarships but the school I'm talking about does. The problem is whether I'll be able to beat tons of super-brainy girls to one of these scholarships.

And I totally agree with your second point. It's true that if I could pay all the money, I would be able to get in like a key through a key hole. However, without millionaire parents, I'm going to have to be some kind of quadratic-equation-solving girl robot to get in. :tongue: That's why I'm trying to see if I can get sponsorship some other way to increase my chances...

You never know until you give it your best shot.

Sometimes some of these good schools may give out a partial bursary as well which would require your parents to contribute some money towards your fees.

Believe it or not a lot of bursaries in these schools have little to no applicants as plenty of people think the same way as you do.
Reply 4
whilst not as such a bursary or the like i remember hearing of companies that will pay for your school fees up front and you [or your parents] can pay them back in a staggered more manageable set of monthly payments, doesnt solve the problem of fees but from what i remember it does help a lot and they dont charge especially much for the service so if your parents cant afford to pay the fees as they come they can lengthen them, consider it like a mortgage :biggrin:
Reply 5

Just so you know, private schools aren't 'all that'. I've been to 2 in Scotland, and 3 across the world. They're good, but at the end of the day, you're going to be taking the same exams :smile: Don't worry too much if you don't get in...
Reply 6

I'm a very academic person (if I may say so myself...:rolleyes:) .

Well hello im so academic, how are you? :h:
Reply 7
Original post by Ocassus
Well hello im so academic, how are you? :h:

OK, OK, tease all you like...obviously I'm no Einstein/Newton/Wilde, but I do try my best. Of course, if I thought I was the brightest lightbulb, I would have just assumed that I would get a full scholarship and not bothered to make this thread...

And what precisely do you mean by "how are you?" Do you mean "how are you" in an entirely mocking way, or "how are you" as in "prove your academic capabilities?" Just wondering :wink:
Reply 8
OK, OK, tease all you like...obviously I'm no Einstein/Newton/Wilde, but I do try my best. Of course, if I thought I was the brightest lightbulb, I would have just assumed that I would get a full scholarship and not bothered to make this thread...

And what precisely do you mean by "how are you?" Do you mean "how are you" in an entirely mocking way, or "how are you" as in "prove your academic capabilities?" Just wondering :wink:

Uh... Don't worry... Its an insider joke on TSR..

We have a user called 'im so academic' who is essentially obsessed with Private schools and their status. You appear to be giving off a similar vibe and combined with that phrasing, I simply could not resist drawing a parallel.
Reply 9
Original post by Ocassus

We have a user called 'im so academic' who is essentially obsessed with Private schools and their status. You appear to be giving off a similar vibe and combined with that phrasing, I simply could not resist drawing a parallel.

Ah yes I remember him/her. :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by ArtisticFlair
Hmm... I go to Cheltenham Ladies' College, and believe me, the students won't really care how clever you are... if this school really is so very 'prestigious', then the majority of the students will live in Mayfair/Belgravia and look down at you, no matter how clever you are.

Have you actually looked round it, and know people there who you know you'll get on with?

Do you now? Must be weird being a bloke and going to an all girls school. :lolwut:
Original post by cl_steele
whilst not as such a bursary or the like i remember hearing of companies that will pay for your school fees up front and you [or your parents] can pay them back in a staggered more manageable set of monthly payments, doesnt solve the problem of fees but from what i remember it does help a lot and they dont charge especially much for the service so if your parents cant afford to pay the fees as they come they can lengthen them, consider it like a mortgage :biggrin:

Hmmmm...that is an idea, but who wants another mortgage? I'm really just trying my chances - either a) I miraculously get into this school on a 100% scholarship and live (supposedly) happily ever after b) find some genius way to get someone else to sponsor me and get in without a bursary or c) I don't get in, shrug my shoulders and move on. I don't think it's worth the debt.

Original post by kaneboy
Just so you know, private schools aren't 'all that'. I've been to 2 in Scotland, and 3 across the world. They're good, but at the end of the day, you're going to be taking the same exams :smile: Don't worry too much if you don't get in...

I can't judge since I haven't had the experience of going to both types of schools, but you're probably right. Then again, it might all be a question of relativity. I think everyone thinks the schools they went to were rubbish. Were you completely educated privately or have you been to state schools as well? If so, how did they compare?

Original post by Ocassus

:colondollar: Oh crumbs, must work on sounding less ridiculous next time... :redface:
Reply 12
Hmmmm...that is an idea, but who wants another mortgage? I'm really just trying my chances - either a) I miraculously get into this school on a 100% scholarship and live (supposedly) happily ever after b) find some genius way to get someone else to sponsor me and get in without a bursary or c) I don't get in, shrug my shoulders and move on. I don't think it's worth the debt.

May i enquire as to which school this is if it hasnt already been said?
Personally id say whatever the cost go for it, as much as many on this site like to deny it going to a good private school will open a lot more doors than it closes for instance if its part of HMC they have several clubs you can join upon leaving which from what i hear are invaluable when it comes to getting cushy jobs :rolleyes:
either way best of luck to what decision you choose!

Quick Reply

Latest