Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Bicycle help

Announcements Posted on
Applying to uni this year? Check out our new personal statement advice hub 28-11-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I was never that interested in rding bicycles but due to pressures of trying to get to uni on time, I took it upon myself to learn to ride despite being late in the game. As a result of a 1.5 hour lesson, I'm glad to say I can now ride a bike
    Spoiler:
    Show
    just not too well

I really want to get my own bike and practise more before going back to uni.
    Given being a noob and mainly just using it to get between lectures (in a slightly hilly uni), can I get some advice on buying a bike?

E.g
    -Typically good brands for quality(sorry new independent companies, not right now)
    -kind of things to look for in a bike when looking
    -are gears really that important?
    -brands that are known for being durable (I will most likely fall over a lot)
    -brands that are known for being cheap (value for money)
    -any way of adding in a cheeky student discount?
    -reliable/trustworthy/legit retailers?

I have absolutely no idea about this which is why I'm asking the bike gods of TSR.

Budget wise, I don't know what to set it as, maybe £50/60? Hold the laughing please
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I like my bike, but im useless with everything to do with it....
    It squeaks, brake rub ect etc....

But try halfords or something
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex17595)
    I like my bike, but im useless with everything to do with it....
    It squeaks, brake rub ect etc....

But try halfords or something
    There's a mountain bike on there for £80, but i don't know if it's a good or bad thing to get a mountain bike. It seems to be the cheapest on their site
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Bump, anymore help?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 00100101)
    Bump, anymore help?
    If it's only for getting between lectures, and not any serious cycling, I would think an 80 quid mountain bike will be fine pal.

You should try here, they will be able to give you loads of advice:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...y#post38408376

See what the guys over there say, good luck!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Converse Rocker)
    If it's only for getting between lectures, and not any serious cycling, I would think an 80 quid mountain bike will be fine pal.

You should try here, they will be able to give you loads of advice:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...y#post38408376

I don't think travel will give you best results See what the guys over there say, good luck!
    Haha thanks
    • 36 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was never that interested in rding bicycles but due to pressures of trying to get to uni on time, I took it upon myself to learn to ride despite being late in the game. As a result of a 1.5 hour lesson, I'm glad to say I can now ride a bike
    Spoiler:
    Show
    just not too well

I really want to get my own bike and practise more before going back to uni.
    Given being a noob and mainly just using it to get between lectures (in a slightly hilly uni), can I get some advice on buying a bike?

E.g
    -Typically good brands for quality(sorry new independent companies, not right now)
    -kind of things to look for in a bike when looking
    -are gears really that important?
    -brands that are known for being durable (I will most likely fall over a lot)
    -brands that are known for being cheap (value for money)
    -any way of adding in a cheeky student discount?
    -reliable/trustworthy/legit retailers?

I have absolutely no idea about this which is why I'm asking the bike gods of TSR.

Budget wise, I don't know what to set it as, maybe £50/60? Hold the laughing please
    First rule of buying a bike: don't touch Halfords with a barge pole. Just don't. Their bikes are of appalling quality and the staff clueless.

With that sort of budget, a second hand bike will probably be your best bet. Gumtree / eBay are good places to look, along with Going Going Bike. You may also be able to find a refurb bike through a bike recycling project locally. Some independent bike shops also sell second hand bikes.

At some point you will be faced with the choice of a road bike (thin tyres, faster bike, but only good on tarmac road surfaces, won't mount kerbs etc.), mountain bike (wide tyres, good off-road) and a hybrid bike (somewhere inbetween - does both fairly well and is great for commuters). Also - make sure you buy one with mudguards (or fit a set yourself), if you don't want to be arriving at uni with a black streak up your back.

As you're in a hilly city, you will want gears. I cycle in two cities - Bristol (hilly as, need all the gears I can get, and even then I sometimes have to get off and push) and Manchester (flat as, but still use all but the lowest four or five gears (24 gears, but the top 8 don't work!))

I'm afraid I can't help much on the subject of bike brands - mine (a Marin) was a hand-me-down, so whilst it's good I never really looked at the alternatives!

PS make sure you invest in a good D-Lock (Kryptonite is a good brand). If you buy a cable lock, then you may as well not have bothered buying a bike in the first place, because it will be stolen pronto.
    • 36 followers

ReputationRep:
    PS make sure you can cycle confidently before you take to the roads it's no good wobbling when an HGV is passing you too close!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    First rule of buying a bike: don't touch Halfords with a barge pole. Just don't. Their bikes are of appalling quality and the staff clueless.

With that sort of budget, a second hand bike will probably be your best bet. Gumtree / eBay are good places to look, along with Going Going Bike. You may also be able to find a refurb bike through a bike recycling project locally. Some independent bike shops also sell second hand bikes.

At some point you will be faced with the choice of a road bike (thin tyres, faster bike, but only good on tarmac road surfaces, won't mount kerbs etc.), mountain bike (wide tyres, good off-road) and a hybrid bike (somewhere inbetween - does both fairly well and is great for commuters). Also - make sure you buy one with mudguards (or fit a set yourself), if you don't want to be arriving at uni with a black streak up your back.

As you're in a hilly city, you will want gears. I cycle in two cities - Bristol (hilly as, need all the gears I can get, and even then I sometimes have to get off and push) and Manchester (flat as, but still use all but the lowest four or five gears (24 gears, but the top 8 don't work!))

I'm afraid I can't help much on the subject of bike brands - mine (a Marin) was a hand-me-down, so whilst it's good I never really looked at the alternatives!

PS make sure you invest in a good D-Lock (Kryptonite is a good brand). If you buy a cable lock, then you may as well not have bothered buying a bike in the first place, because it will be stolen pronto.
    Thanks for the post!
    Regarding the kinds, would you say most people use mountain bikes on the road? I would have thought road bikes were the expensive kind for people who want to race (I.e not very common)?What is considered an average/most common bike? Or is it not possible to to answer (I.e it would be like saying what's average between cars, vans, and quad bikes). I get the impression that hybrid sounds like the most appropriate,are they usually expensive/durable?

Are there many reliable retailers that sell bikes? While I would try eBay and such I think it may be best if I could physically try out the bike before I buy it
    • 36 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the post!
    Regarding the kinds, would you say most people use mountain bikes on the road? I would have thought road bikes were the expensive kind for people who want to race (I.e not very common)?What is considered an average/most common bike? Or is it not possible to to answer (I.e it would be like saying what's average between cars, vans, and quad bikes). I get the impression that hybrid sounds like the most appropriate,are they usually expensive/durable?

Are there many reliable retailers that sell bikes? While I would try eBay and such I think it may be best if I could physically try out the bike before I buy it
    It's absolutely fine to use mountain bikes on the road, but they are somewhat slower than hybrids or road bikes. With regards to road bikes, all racers use road bikes, but not all road bike users are racers IYSWIM. I have to admit that I'm not entirely sure of the relative prices of hybrids and road bikes though. If you're going to be on the road all the time, then you could use any type of bike (heck, you could even use a cargo bike) but my preference would be for a hybrid, because they offer better suspension (good for potholes!) without being too slow.

With regards to shops that sell bikes, I'd have a look at some local independents, of which there are many (google generally has reviews on them). Evans Cycles are also meant to be quite good, and Edinburgh Bike Co-op (Scotland / N England) is good but pricier. Check out whether or not there is a bike recycling project near you too - they can be good options. There's no reason why you couldn't email the seller of a bike and arrange a viewing before you purchase. Just make sure you work out roughly what frame size you need before you go, so you don't waste time, and watch out for obvious things like a rampant rust problem and bent wheels / spokes. Most things on a bike can be fixed though, so for instance worn brake pads shouldn't put you off, because they're cheap to fix.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 3, 2012
New on TSR

Vote for your favourite Christmas film

Win a bundle of Xmas DVDs

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.