The Student Room Group

Could the UK become a part of America?

Scroll to see replies

The biggest difference between the UK and USA is they're scared to socialize and we're scared to privatize.
Reply 41
Original post by callum9999
Not a popular opinion I know, but I personally wouldn't mind switching to the Euro for convenience sake. It being "the oldest still in use" is utterly meaningless and irrelevant to me!

I don't really agree with a monetry union, but that's just me. If we did join the Euro though it would have to be the best option for us and not just doing it for the sake of it, also I do agree that the fact it's the oldest currency is meaningless in that sense, but still an interesting fact though.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Xæthon
Well if joining the Euro was really the best thing, I suppose changing would be completely fine to me. It would be pointless to stay with sterling as "it's the oldest still in circulation", still an interesting fact though I believe.

Yeah I do agree it's interesting, but I'd much rather save the hassle of conversion than have an interesting currency!

Original post by Good bloke
Ask a Greek how convenient it is. I think you must have seen the inconvenience caused to a population in having a currency that its government cannot control (or even strongly influence).

Well with most Greeks wanting the Euro, I don't see what purpose me asking them would serve? In fact, the only Greeks that were actually asked while I was over there last month liked the Euro and didn't mention anyone they know hating it (hardly scientific I know, but in conjunction with opinion polls/election results, I think it's a valid point).
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by callum9999

Well with most Greeks wanting the Euro, I don't see what purpose me asking them would serve?

They might want the euro, like you, but they have experience of how inconvenient it can be.
Original post by Good bloke
They might want the euro, like you, but they have experience of how inconvenient it can be.

And yet they still want it... Kinda says something don't you think?

I'm not going to pretend to understand the economics behind it, but it's rather obvious the copious amounts of government debt and corruption are what has caused their little "crisis". No doubt the Euro isn't helping but "if you like the Euro, just look at Greece!" doesn't really seem particularly relevant in my eyes.
Original post by megan.c
No.

The two countries are radically different. Pretty much nothing is the same - education, healthcare, laws on abortion, culture, fashion all differ more than most people admit.

It would never be feasible, and I would think the more sensible, and hopefully more sizeable, portion of the UK wouldn't stand for it.

really? I'd say this place turns into a mini-USA culturally a little bit more each year
There are some true idiots on these forums.
No, why would we? We are no closer to the states than we are to the likes of france. I suppose there is an argument for a some sort of commonwealth relationship but do we really need to engage in some sort of relationship with these people any more so than we need to with europe?
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
really? I'd say this place turns into a mini-USA culturally a little bit more each year

Actually if you scratch the surface a little you will see the arguably the UK is cultrually more incline with europe than the US.
Original post by Arekkusu
We have more in common with the French than anyone. America and Britain are two countries divided by a common language.

This^^^
Reply 50
Original post by Foghorn Leghorn
Actually if you scratch the surface a little you will see the arguably the UK is cultrually more incline with europe than the US.

We are of course culturally very close to the Europeans.We know everything about their domestic political discourse eg health care reforms, abortion debates, gay rights etc. We spend watching their sitcoms, cinema, music, novels etc. Most of us can name who the French/German president or PM is. Who would dare to compare everything we do with America rather than the European models.:rolleyes:
It shall. Airstrip one.
Reply 52
Original post by Snagprophet
I'd compare Great Britain to California. in terms of wealth, population and size

Unfortunately not with the weather :mad:
Original post by bkeevin
We are of course culturally very close to the Europeans.We know everything about their domestic political discourse eg health care reforms, abortion debates, gay rights etc. We spend watching their sitcoms, cinema, music, novels etc. Most of us can name who the French/German president or PM is. Who would dare to compare everything we do with America rather than the European models.:rolleyes:

:curious:
If you are being sarcastic it is a very weak analogy. I think you'll find the fact that the US are the most powerful country in the world with the most media influence is the reason we hear so much about them. How many people in the uk can name the canadian or australian pm. How many people in the know their government policies or indeed watch their movies, read their books? The reason we don't watch european tv is because it's in in a different language. Indeed european political disclosures are far more in line with the UK than US policy is.
(edited 11 years ago)
Let's imagine if the UK wanted to become part of the US. I think that the most likely proposal would be that the former UK would become 5 new US states:

- North England (North +Midlands), total population: 24 million. In Presidential elections this state would be SOLID DEMOCRAT.

- South England, total population: 26 million. In presidential elections this state would be a SWING STATE (though leaning Democrat).

- Wales, total population: 3 million. In presidential elections this state would be SOLID DEMOCRAT.

- Scotland, total population: 5 million. In presidential elections this state would be SOLID DEMOCRAT.

- Northern Ireland, total population: 1.8 million. In presidential elections this state would be a SWING STATE (though leaning Republican).

The amount of additional electoral college votes the Democrats would be guaranteed to get at each Presidential election would ensure that a Republican would never get into the White House ever again if these 5 states were admitted to the union. Therefore, Republicans in congress would prevent this from happening.
Even if hypothetical, this notion only incites one possible response....

Why do people assume that if Britain was not in the EU, we'd have to join another kind of conglomerate to function? We managed fine for many years before entering the EU, and we can manage without it. And we can definitely exist without being America's *****! (Although we already are to an extent, we don't need to make increase or formalise that!).
Reply 56
Why are Europhiles so obsessed with having a great relationship with the EU? We already have seperate long-standing economic and defence agreements/treaties/relationships with countries such as France and Germany outside of the EU. We're missing out on far more important relationships with Brazil, India, China, the U.S etc
Reply 57
It is OBVIOUS that Russia will take advantage of the Euro crisis to buy Europe, and India and China will economically unite in the near future, creating two superstates called Eurasia and Eastasia.

Our only option to stay viable in the world is to make an alliance with America and the last remaining BRIC country, Brazil, and also engulf Australia, Latin America, Canada and Southern Africa in order to survive in the changing world.

I don't think cultural differences would be a problem - they could easily be solved by introducing a new common language. Initial teething problems and resistance could also be solved by use of propaganda, secret police and a scapegoat everyone can hate for a least two minutes a day (probably Jewish and called Goldstein or something).

Just an idea.
Reply 58
Original post by Foghorn Leghorn
:curious:
If you are being sarcastic it is a very weak analogy. I think you'll find the fact that the US are the most powerful country in the world with the most media influence is the reason we hear so much about them. How many people in the uk can name the canadian or australian pm. How many people in the know their government policies or indeed watch their movies, read their books? The reason we don't watch european tv is because it's in in a different language. Indeed european political disclosures are far more in line with the UK than US policy is.

Well I agree with you that the main reason we hear so much about America is due to their power and influence. But then that would also be the very reason why we would want to join them. I am not sure about the European languages being the main barrier as France do have an English news channel France 24 on sky and no one ever watches it! I would say we simply have no interest in their local issues but so many people will talk to you everything about fox and the US. We also don't care about Ireland either despite our proxity, history, culture and common language.
Original post by bkeevin
Well I agree with you that the main reason we hear so much about America is due to their power and influence. But then that would also be the very reason why we would want to join them. I am not sure about the European languages being the main barrier as France do have an English news channel France 24 on sky and no one ever watches it! I would say we simply have no interest in their local issues but so many people will talk to you everything about fox and the US. We also don't care about Ireland either despite our proxity, history, culture and common language.

Yeah that's what I'm getting at, the only reason we seem to care so much about america is because they are so powerful. But the level of interest of the US in the UK is generally shared throughout the west. Certainly the likes of canada, france australia all have similar levels of interest in the US as we do. And considering the power of influence the american media machine has, it's no wonder. Personally I feel we should focus less on the US and more on other countries, not just in europe but around the world and stop pandering to the states making them even more powerful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending