Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Could the UK become a part of America?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SnoochToTheBooch)
    really? I'd say this place turns into a mini-USA culturally a little bit more each year
    I wouldn't - I think we're sort of pushed into thinking that but in actual fact it's more the other way round, usually when it comes to things like fashion and music Britain will be far ahead of America. And you only need to look at the amount of remakes they do of British shows to see that we still retain our originality in entertainment rather than just living off US shows.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by megan.c)
    I wouldn't - I think we're sort of pushed into thinking that but in actual fact it's more the other way round, usually when it comes to things like fashion and music Britain will be far ahead of America. And you only need to look at the amount of remakes they do of British shows to see that we still retain our originality in entertainment rather than just living off US shows.
    mmm I don't know, when I turn on the telly I see an american show on half the channels, I hear people come out with american language quite a bit, we've become a nation of massive materialism/consumerism (if that's a word).
    • 35 followers

ReputationRep:
    In short, no.

Whilst England alone could probably unite with the USA (we are not dissimilar to the north east states), NI, W and S are significantly European.

Personally i would never support joining any nation which has the right to bear arms in its constitution and allows the death penalty in some states.

I think the UK as a whole is much closer to Europe (bar language) than the USA.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aarora)
    I hope so, just so I can enjoy some American food
    This. Food in the UK, or at least in London, is atrocious.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    In short, no.
    Personally i would never support joining any nation which has the right to bear arms in its constitution and allows the death penalty in some states.
    It is what makes it a free country. The people can't have power as long as weapons are only in the hands of the government. You can't invade a country where in each neighborhood there are dozens of armed citizens who will gun down anyone who claims their land.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by askew116)
    Unfortunately not with the weather :mad:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joe911)
    Absolutely no way!
    If we voted ourselves out of the EU, who in their right mind would want us to become part of America?
    The Conservative Party.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    It won't ever happen, we're more likely to become Canadian due to historical links and even chances of that are extremely low. We're too different in so many ways within our ways of life and values and political views. That being said, places like Texas and New York differ dramatically from each other yet are part of the same country, so it could happen one day. I just don't think that day will be in our life time.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    -cough, cough- No offense, we think you guys are cool and all, but no, we do NOT want the UK to join the US.
    Ever.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by biggie)
    The Conservative Party.
    Do you mean the Conservative Party in the US?? Like the Republicans? Actually, it's more likely that Liberals (Democrats) would want the UK to join, as Conservatives are seriously patriotic, and inherently xenophobic.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    No
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    This thread title is nightmare inducing :eek: Dear God, I'd rather us be a part of France than America.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I can't think of a more sickening, shameful and humiliating idea than the UK becoming part of America. Just the thought of stars and stripes flying over London makes me want to run and vomit in the toilet.

The USA has hardly anything in common with the UK other than a language and that is starting to become less similar. The British stand for monarchy, democracy, civilisation and dignity. The UK is quite possibly the oldest, country in the world in that there has been no foreign occupation for a thousand years - the UK has a strong history of independence and freedom and I would rather have my head kicked around as a football by a group of Uruguayan youth's than for the UK to become part of America.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yanaj)
    Do you mean the Conservative Party in the US?? Like the Republicans? Actually, it's more likely that Liberals (Democrats) would want the UK to join, as Conservatives are seriously patriotic, and inherently xenophobic.
    No, I meant the UK conservatives. They seem to idolise many of the institutions and practices valued across the pond.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nope, i hope not
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    There is such a large gap in deologies and laws (look at obama's attempt to introduce a health service) I hope to God that it'll never happen, because although atm I'm not very keen on the idea of joining the USA. I like to think that our Commonwealth would have more meaning, and that perhaps a market and/or economic union would be set up amongst the Commonwealth countries with the UK at the helm
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would honestly shot myself if this happened.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Will the UK become part of the US? Short answer no
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yanaj)
    -cough, cough- No offense, we think you guys are cool and all, but no, we do NOT want the UK to join the US.
    Ever.
    No offense, we enjoy your films and media, but we would NEVER want to join the US. UK society is bad, but it's not that bad
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Maybe if all the events of 1984 come into alignment then we'll become Oceania.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 10, 2012
New on TSR

Submitting your UCAS application

How long did it take for yours to be processed?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.