Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Leaking ceiling

Announcements Posted on
TSR wants you: get involved with Power Hour. 10-04-2014
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    I live in a first floor flat, with one floor above me, and I keep having problems with water coming through my kitchen ceiling from the flat above. Obviously this is because they flat above has a leak somewhere, and several times they've identified what was leaking and stopped it. But then after a while, something else will leak and I get more water through my ceiling.

It's getting really frustrating playing whack-a-mole with leaking appliances and piping. Even if it's something really minor, it ends up coming through my ceiling. Surely flats normally have some kind of protection against this happening? I've never had any complaints from the flat below me, and I've had plenty of water splashed all over my kitchen floor (normally from the ceiling).

Is there something I could do to make it a bit more tolerant to water? Either something to my ceiling or to the floor in the flat above. If the flat above needs to do something, I should be able to get them to do it, since it is really their problem that is causing damage to my property.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    :mad:

It's been dripping for a whole day now and my neighbours don't seem to be in. Maybe they left a tap on or something.

It doesn't even keep happening because the couple that live there are particularly careless, they are the third couple to live there since I moved in and this keeps happening.

Does anyone know about this stuff?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    I live in a first floor flat, with one floor above me, and I keep having problems with water coming through my kitchen ceiling from the flat above. Obviously this is because they flat above has a leak somewhere, and several times they've identified what was leaking and stopped it. But then after a while, something else will leak and I get more water through my ceiling.

It's getting really frustrating playing whack-a-mole with leaking appliances and piping. Even if it's something really minor, it ends up coming through my ceiling. Surely flats normally have some kind of protection against this happening? I've never had any complaints from the flat below me, and I've had plenty of water splashed all over my kitchen floor (normally from the ceiling).

Is there something I could do to make it a bit more tolerant to water? Either something to my ceiling or to the floor in the flat above. If the flat above needs to do something, I should be able to get them to do it, since it is really their problem that is causing damage to my property.
    I'm assuming you pay rent? If so, have you tried phoning the landlord etc?
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyJ)
    I'm assuming you pay rent? If so, have you tried phoning the landlord etc?
    No, I own the flat. I guess this is one of the downsides to owning, there's no landlord to get these things sorted.

I just spoke to the man who lives upstairs, and it looks like on this occasion it's a leaking pipe under the sink. He's renting, so he's told the letting agent that it needs fixing asap, so hopefully this particular leak will be sorted tomorrow. I've also asked him to get them to have his floor sealed as well to prevent it happening again. If that even makes sense, I don't know.

So I guess for tonight I'll just have to put up with the constant dripping sound.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    No, I own the flat. I guess this is one of the downsides to owning, there's no landlord to get these things sorted.

I just spoke to the man who lives upstairs, and it looks like on this occasion it's a leaking pipe under the sink. He's renting, so he's told the letting agent that it needs fixing asap, so hopefully this particular leak will be sorted tomorrow. I've also asked him to get them to have his floor sealed as well to prevent it happening again. If that even makes sense, I don't know.

So I guess for tonight I'll just have to put up with the constant dripping sound.
    What about the damage to your ceiling? I'm guessing that's coming out of your pocket?
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyJ)
    What about the damage to your ceiling? I'm guessing that's coming out of your pocket?
    Well, I think the owners of the flat above are liable. So in theory they should pay. But if it won't cost a lot (there's one hole that's not all that big), then it probably wouldn't be worth the bother of getting them to pay for it.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: July 2, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.