The Student Room Group

The Anime Soc chat thread XXI: High school AU version

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1500
Original post by gagafacea1
Omg yeah those last episodes have been really emotional! And I hated how they left me waiting for the reveal of Nagi+Kousei to the world.

Yeah, it should be a great performance. Hopefully, it'll lift Kaori's spirits, if only briefly. :sadnod:
Apologies for not reading through the whole thread, but does anyone read/watch JoJo's Bizarre Adventure?
Original post by Skillocial
Apologies for not reading through the whole thread, but does anyone read/watch JoJo's Bizarre Adventure?

I've watched the first season and I was a few episodes into the second one but I haven't been able to watch much anime in awhile - are you considering starting it? :smile:
Already watched it all, it's ****ing fantastic.

This is a screenshot of the first rep I ever received... :awesome:

Spoiler

How 5 years changes things eh? :colone:
Original post by Nirgilis
This is a screenshot of the first rep I ever received... :awesome:

Spoiler

How 5 years changes things eh? :colone:

Wow, back in the pre-5th-thread days, when the society was far more active. :moon: I'm determined to get us into a 6th ontopic thread this year, though, even if the final 1,000 posts are just me. :p:

I can't remember the last time I left a personal rep message, it's possible I haven't since the post thumbs were added. :zomg:
Reply 1507
Just a random post from me to say that I'm still around. I'm finding myself lurking a lot more than posting these days, though. :redface:

My daughter, Alyssa, is taking up most of my time, but it's been an absolute joy. :smile:

I'm still finding the opportunity to take on the occasional graphic design freelance job via an agency I've joined, whether that be working for a client from home or going into a company and covering for someone who is away on sick leave or holiday. It's nice to keep active, in this regard. I'm still technically on maternity leave at my actual job. I'm undecided as to whether I'll actually return, though.

Lastly, I'm keeping up with all of my anime weeklies. I should get around to posting in the other thread regarding my thoughts on those at some point.

Hope everyone else is well. :smile:
Original post by AngryJellyfish
Wow, back in the pre-5th-thread days, when the society was far more active. :moon: I'm determined to get us into a 6th ontopic thread this year, though, even if the final 1,000 posts are just me. :p:

I can't remember the last time I left a personal rep message, it's possible I haven't since the post thumbs were added. :zomg:

I've got an event-free summer, so you can count on me for a contribution or two :awesome:
I've got an event-free summer, so you can count on me for a contribution or two :awesome:

Ditto. Without A levels (and just admissions tests) to worry about, I'm hoping to do a ton of TV and anime watching.
Original post by Aiko
Just a random post from me to say that I'm still around. I'm finding myself lurking a lot more than posting these days, though. :redface:

My daughter, Alyssa, is taking up most of my time, but it's been an absolute joy. :smile:

I'm still finding the opportunity to take on the occasional graphic design freelance job via an agency I've joined, whether that be working for a client from home or going into a company and covering for someone who is away on sick leave or holiday. It's nice to keep active, in this regard. I'm still technically on maternity leave at my actual job. I'm undecided as to whether I'll actually return, though.

Lastly, I'm keeping up with all of my anime weeklies. I should get around to posting in the other thread regarding my thoughts on those at some point.

Hope everyone else is well. :smile:

Glad to hear you're still around and that everything is well, and am looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the new anime series. :biggrin:

Original post by keromedic
Ditto. Without A levels (and just admissions tests) to worry about, I'm hoping to do a ton of TV and anime watching.

Fantastic! :biggrin: I've not been watching or posting on TSR as much (relatively speaking :p: ) this month, but I should have a bit more free time starting from next week (4 days of volunteering a week is being cut down to 1-2 days).
Reply 1511
Glad to hear you're still around and that everything is well, and am looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the new anime series. :biggrin:

Thanks AJ, hope you're keeping well too. Are you still working at the Citizens Advice Bureau?

Will relay my thoughts now. Knowing me, it's going to be a long one. :tongue:
Original post by Aiko
Thanks AJ, hope you're keeping well too. Are you still working at the Citizens Advice Bureau?

Will relay my thoughts now. Knowing me, it's going to be a long one. :tongue:

My paid work there finished in September, though I've stayed there as a volunteer one or two days a week. I also just finished a month of work experience in my local job centre itself, helping out customers (and staff!) who weren't very IT literate. I'm still looking for paid work in the meantime, of course, but prospects don't look good at the moment, and my only interview since September was a disaster. :giggle:
Reply 1513
My paid work there finished in September, though I've stayed there as a volunteer one or two days a week. I also just finished a month of work experience in my local job centre itself, helping out customers (and staff!) who weren't very IT literate. I'm still looking for paid work in the meantime, of course, but prospects don't look good at the moment, and my only interview since September was a disaster. :giggle:

Funnily enough, I've met someone through Quake Live (yes, I still play this game occasionally) who used to work at the Job Centre. Must have been a challenge at times.

Anyway, I'd imagine it doesn't help that you live in a rural part of Wales when it comes to job opportunities.

Have you considered taking the plunge and moving to Cardiff or perhaps even to England and looking for work here? I know it's a risk and there's financial implications, but a lot of people tend to move to places like London or Birmingham and stay in hostels for around three weeks. During this time, they apply like mad to jobs. If they get one, they can obviously move out of the hostel and into proper accommodation.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1514
As for first rep, mine was negative, even though the person clearly didn't intend it going by their message. :sad:

Spoiler

Original post by Aiko
Funnily enough, I've met someone through Quake Live (yes, I still play this game occasionally) who used to work at the Job Centre. Must have been a challenge at times.

Anyway, I'd imagine it doesn't help that you live in a rural part of Wales when it comes to job opportunities.

Have you considered taking the plunge and moving to Cardiff or perhaps even to England and looking for work here? I know it's a risk and there's financial implications, but a lot of people tend to move to places like London or Birmingham and stay in hostels for around three weeks. During this time, they apply like mad to jobs. If they get one, they can obviously move out of the hostel and into proper accommodation.

It is the financial implications that put me off moving. Guess I'm just not much of a risk taker. :p:
Reply 1516
It is the financial implications that put me off moving. Guess I'm just not much of a risk taker. :p:

Life is all about risks, in some form or another. :tongue: You could argue that staying at home and potentially stagnating is a risk in itself. Alternatively, if you know anyone in a more built up area, you could stay with them temporarily to save on accommodation costs. :yes:
Original post by Aiko
Life is all about risks, in some form or another. :tongue: You could argue that staying at home and potentially stagnating is a risk in itself. Alternatively, if you know anyone in a more built up area, you could stay with them temporarily to save on accommodation costs. :yes:

Nothing ventured, nothing gained - I like the outlook! :smile:
Original post by Aiko

I know, but when faced with two risky situations, staying at the place I've lived all my life, where I can be sure of good meals and restful nights for a fraction of the cost of a hotel certainly feels like the less-risky option. :p: I've always been more concerned about short term happiness. I mean, dragging my desktop PC to a hotel sounds like a lot of effort, and living without it for more than a week sounds like hell. :afraid:
Reply 1519
Original post by Ki Yung Na
Nothing ventured, nothing gained - I like the outlook! :smile:

Thanks, it's a virtue I definitely live by myself. For instance, I travelled across the world to study at an art school! A pretty big risk, all things considered. Ultimately, this led to my profession and my husband (and daughter, by extension). :tongue:

I know, but when faced with two risky situations, staying at the place I've lived all my life, where I can be sure of good meals and restful nights for a fraction of the cost of a hotel certainly feels like the less-risky option. :p: I've always been more concerned about short term happiness. I mean, dragging my desktop PC to a hotel sounds like a lot of effort, and living without it for more than a week sounds like hell. :afraid:

Yeah, I can understand that. It's more comfortable to stay where you know you have support from family and friends. However, if your current situation doesn't change, you may not have a choice. You can't stay with your parents forever, right? You've already lived out at Aberystwyth, so you can do it if you need to. As I say, if someone like Charlotte, for example, is kind enough and able to accommodate you for a month or so, you can test the waters in an area that has more job opportunities. Worst case scenario, you don't find anything and return home. Nothing lost, but something gained. At least you tried. As for anime viewing, trust you to consider the logistics of this. :tongue: Maybe consider selling your desktop and buying a laptop. If you're not able to do that, I guess you'll just have to use Charlotte's or somebody else's computer for the month you're away. Of course, should you find work, you'll be able to rent somewhere and buy a laptop of your own. :smile:

Edit: I should mention that if you go down the hostel route, you will likely have to share a room with a few people, but it'll definitely be cheap. I knew people who found decent accommodation in nice parts of London for £25 to 30 per night, which isn't that bad.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest