The Student Room Group

Year 9s Going Into Year 10 - Expectations

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lubsjk
I love History ^_^ Where do you want to teach? Primary? Secondary? College? :redface:
I would like to go to either Dental school or Medical school. I'm torn between the two. Doctor or Dentist? Idk. ><

I want to teach in a secondary school :biggrin:
Reply 41
Original post by jojo10834
I want to teach in a secondary school :biggrin:

Sweet!
Good luck with the annoying teenagers XD
Original post by electriic_ink
Erm, no. I must have joined TSR February of Year 11. I quickly found whatever the GCSE Revision Thread was that year and, ignorant of the simplicity and insignificance of GCSEs, I felt compelled over-revise for those exams. I regret the day I opened that topic because it got me worked up about the exams for no good reason.

Sure, I ended up with some good results but it was a total waste of time. Throughout my A Level years, I never revised that much again and I met/exceeded the grades I needed.

The reason I made the post is that I dread to think that someone in Year 10 is *already* starting to go through what I (unnecessarily) put myself through from March of Year 11. There is no need to buy all the textbooks if you aren't told to by your school, forgo any part of your social life* or most of the stuff you've been "advised" to do here.

* like this bs for example: "Secondly, choose your friends wisely. There will be a lot of uneccessary people along the way, which you're better off staying clear of. Or you'll end up like me last year, trying to sort out friendship problems instead of turning up to a double period of Triple Science. " Believe it or not you do not need to get rid of any of your friends to succeed in your GCSEs. In any case, missing two lessons of one subject will have next to no effect on your final grades and any friendships that you do have are more important than the impact missing those lessons would have (I hope).

Well maybe you're an anomaly then. But doesn't that make you even more of a hypocrite - that you don't have anything to explain about your first comment of "its too early"? I think you've made a fool of yourself in from of these kids.
Yay Year 10's!! (BTW, here is the 'Official' Year 10 thread, where all the Year 11s hang out)

I'm taking Maths, Lit, Lang, Triple Science, Geo, RS, Business Studies, Arabic, Swahili and History :smile: I really have no idea what 'options' are defined as, so...

Original post by YaYazooGirl
I'm in year 9! I chose Arabic, History, Textiles and Art.

Yay! Al-3rabiyyah! :cool:
Reply 44
I just finished year 11 and I'm hoping to get 10 A*'s-A's.

If you work really hard and put lots of effort in now, year 11 is going to be much easier.
There are going to be 6 gcse exams at most in year 10, but in year 11 there are going to be at least 12 so revise, revise and revise for the ones in year 10! Sometimes these make up 50% of the final grade for some subjects and you have a higher chance of getting a good grade as there are going to be less of them in year 10.

And for history, make sure you do well in the controlled assessment, it will really help in year 11 if you get a high grade in it!

The most important thing is to take year 10 seriously! Don't waste the year relaxing and taking it easy, it will really help if you work hard now!
Hi guys,

I have just finished year 11 going into year 12. Here are a few tips so you can do the best you can. Firstly, you are expected to behave like a proper student none of this messing about in classes and catch up for gossip nonsense. You have to start working!

For subjects that require coursework (which many do) make sure you do it and do it well. You should get extremely high grades on your cw as they are usually worth high percentages. Make sure you give as many drafts as you can to your teacher so that they can give you feedback. Also, don't leave it to the last minute like I did with a few of mine as you WILL regret it.

You need to revise effectively and make the most out of your time. Make sure you focus in lessons and a few months before the exam go through your notes and PAST PAPERS. PAST PAPERS are the KEY for revision as they will prepare you for anything!!!

Don't get too worked up by GCSE's as your teachers will try to scare you but don't fall for it. Work hard and make sure you meet deadlines! (that way you wont be staying up all night doing coursework - like i did!!!) As long as you pay attention in lessons and revise before the exams you should be fine.

If anyone has any more questions feel free to ask! :smile:
I am going to year 10, so you are not alone. I am scared because i want to so well but not sure if i can
Original post by LuuX
x

I just finished year ten, and I had 10 exams! Maths x2, English Language x2, Photography, geography, biology, chemistry, physics, history a level...
But yeah, work hard :tongue:
Hi guys! I'm new to TSR! :smile:
I'm going into year 10 too! I'm doing maths, eng lang, eng lit, double science, rs, latin, spanish and french, and astronomy for GCSEs! Really excited for year 10 but a bit stressed too!
Original post by salmon-aiman
Hi guys! I'm new to TSR! :smile:
I'm going into year 10 too! I'm doing maths, eng lang, eng lit, double science, rs, latin, spanish and french, and astronomy for GCSEs! Really excited for year 10 but a bit stressed too!

astronomy !?!?! ARE YOU SERIOUS !? can you even do that at GCSE??!
OMG. WHAT SCHOOL DO YOU GO TO ?!! I need a transfer!!! :redface:
Reply 50
Switch out of GCSE's and do MYP, if you're smart it's unbelievably easy.
oh oh oh. and I forgot to add.
I'm also doing Psychology & statistics which I've also completed this year :biggrin:
Original post by GEEKSruletheworld!
astronomy !?!?! ARE YOU SERIOUS !? can you even do that at GCSE??!
OMG. WHAT SCHOOL DO YOU GO TO ?!! I need a transfer!!! :redface:

hahah! :smile: Just a school up north! ahah!! Well you seem to be doing cool subjects too! At my school we don't do textiles! :O
hahah! :smile: Just a school up north! ahah!! Well you seem to be doing cool subjects too! At my school we don't do textiles! :O

north ?! what city !?! I NEED TO KNOW !!!! :eek:
haha. I didn't really want to do Textiles to be honest but there no other option in that block that I liked so I had to choose it. I wanted to do drama!! aghhh!!
You're lucky.... you'd hate it anyway !!
When I was in year9 I had so high expectations of year 10 an starting my GCSEs - turns out everything we expected and got told to expect was wrong because we turned into an academy that year - but still year 10s really good - a quite relaxful year for me... :smile:

This was posted from TheLightbulbKid - voicing an opinion and attempting to give advice :smile:
north ?! what city !?! I NEED TO KNOW !!!! :eek:
haha. I didn't really want to do Textiles to be honest but there no other option in that block that I liked so I had to choose it. I wanted to do drama!! aghhh!!
You're lucky.... you'd hate it anyway !!

hahah! ask your teacher if you'd like to do astronomy, I have to do it outside of normal school hours! haha a private school near manchester! Islamic studies sounds interesting though!
Reply 56
YEAR 9'S??!

GTFO TSR you embryos...
Year 9s and 10s

The years that every other year hates most
hahah! ask your teacher if you'd like to do astronomy, I have to do it outside of normal school hours! haha a private school near manchester! Islamic studies sounds interesting though!

we don't have it as an option in our school :L
ohh but still !! it's so cool !! ....
private school? aghh. darn it !! I'm in a state school<- normal people !!! :smile:
I guess it's okay. if you don't mind me asking, what faith do you believe in ?
we don't have it as an option in our school :L
ohh but still !! it's so cool !! ....
private school? aghh. darn it !! I'm in a state school<- normal people !!! :smile:
I guess it's okay. if you don't mind me asking, what faith do you believe in ?

hahahaah!:smile: I'm Muslim ! What about you? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest