Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

DBT

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014

Anyone been? What do i have to do? Is it easy?
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am just bumping this as you have not received a reply yet

I have not had DBT myself but I wish you the best of luck :yy:
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Anyone been? What do i have to do? Is it easy?
    I am in DBT now. There is quite a lot to it, but it's done in a way that it doesn't seem too much when you are doing it. Basically it's about learning new skills to cope with your emotions rather than resorting to your impulses, self harm or suicide.

You have "Skills Group" where you learn the skills. The main modules are Distress Tolerance, Emotional Regulation, Interpersonal Effectiveness and Mindfulness. You learn the skills in the group and then you try to apply them during the week. You will have a diary where you will record your emotions, urges, whether you acted on them (e.g. if you self harm you have to record it), and then what skills you used. You then have individual therapy sessions where you will go through your diary and get more personalised help in applying the skills, and do stuff like chain analysis to figure out what you could do differently.

I'm not sure if this is universal, but I have the phone number of my therapist and if I need help in applying the skills I can phone him in office hours and he will just advise me in what skills I should be using and how I can use them.

It definitely isn't easy, there is a lot of work to do, and it is difficult to try and stop acting on your impulses and urges. But if you really want things to change, it is a great opportunity. Like all therapy, if you aren't 100% behind it and don't work with the therapists, then you won't get much out of it. I hope it goes well for you. If you have any questions, send me a PM or that

It sounds really hard especially as im not sure if the way i act is wrong. Ive got a large memory problem so do you think that will effect learning things? Im worried i will forget what im told to do which makes me worry and angry and upset. Then its going to look like im not engaging then i'll get into trouble - repeat cycle.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am starting DBT in September so PM me or anything if you wanna chat about it - I'm nervous too!
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    It sounds really hard especially as im not sure if the way i act is wrong. Ive got a large memory problem so do you think that will effect learning things? Im worried i will forget what im told to do which makes me worry and angry and upset. Then its going to look like im not engaging then i'll get into trouble - repeat cycle.
    I didn't think many of my "impulsive actions" were wrong or a problem until I went through them with someone, sometimes we know they are a problem, sometimes we don't. But if they are risky or damage your health, it's important to discuss it to see if you should change it.

Everyone struggles to remember what to do and when to do it in this therapy from what I have heard, it's one of the reasons why it is so long. You will never be in trouble with your therapist for doing anything "bad" like cutting or drinking or whatever. I don't know how the memory problem will affect it but discuss it with the people who want to give you the therapy.

This is the leaflet I was given when I started, it's for my trust, but the info is the same, have a look http://www.awp.nhs.uk/media/82459/Di...%20Leaflet.pdf

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katebrighteyes)
    I am starting DBT in September so PM me or anything if you wanna chat about it - I'm nervous too!
    If you want to ask any questions, please PM me. Try not to be nervous, it's a very interesting and active therapy and it has the real potential to change things for you!

"DBT aims to decrease emotional suffering
    and help build a life worth living."

Surely this is a bit harsh? My life is plenty worth living!

Today a man walk passed me and hit me round the head with an umbrella because he wasnt paying attention. I just started yelling at him because he didnt even apologise and it really hurt. Surely thats normal?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

Today a man walk passed me and hit me round the head with an umbrella because he wasnt paying attention. I just started yelling at him because he didnt even apologise and it really hurt. Surely thats normal?
    He hit your round the head? Or he accidentally caught your head with his umbrella as he passed? Its very unlikely he did it on purpose and maybe didnt even realise he had done anything at all.

The therapy will help you think about your actions and other peoples without becoming so annoyed/angry with the aim of being able to control your reaction better.

Good luck!
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:

I don't think it's saying that people BPD don't have a life worth living, but rather that most people with BPD don't feel their life is worth living.

(Original post by andi2036)
    He hit your round the head? Or he accidentally caught your head with his umbrella as he passed? Its very unlikely he did it on purpose and maybe didnt even realise he had done anything at all.

The therapy will help you think about your actions and other peoples without becoming so annoyed/angry with the aim of being able to control your reaction better.

Good luck!

But i cant be a push over and I have to fight people because then otherwise I will be weak. If everyone else can control their emotions all the time then I dont understand - theres no problem! I dont think i can go, im getting so nervous now im beginning to lash out at people.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I have done DBT. In the UK I think you do t for 6 months (until modules are all complete) though I underwent DBT for 14 months. The one thing I will say is that in order or it to be successful you need to want to get better and you need to try and always practice skills. It's so easy to forget about it until you're in the group. Do your homework and try to always implement a skill in a situation. Good luck!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 15, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.