The Student Room Group

How many girls Photoshop pictures of themselves before they put them on Facebook?

I'm just interested. I mean I've noticed the editing that some girls do on some pictures they upload. Their skin looks so smooth and their eyes look beautiful, but when you see them in real life they look dog rough. How widespread is the use of editing tools on Facebook?

Scroll to see replies

i never realised that, i thought they were all naturally beautiful. but to be honest i doubt that many girls do that.
I don't think many girls are adept enough at using advanced editing tools to make much of a difference to their photos - I usually see photos with a "soft focus" effect or that are over-exposed, so features aren't seen clearly and blemishes aren't visible. I'm certainly clueless when it comes to anything like Photoshop - "lassoo tool?" :confused:
I think there's quite a few girls who change the brightness/contrast settings of their pictures. This alone can change the appearance of their skin already. I'm not sure there's that many who take it any further though...
Reply 4
Gotta love it when girls make their photographs so bright their nose completely disappears haha.
Original post by yennibubs
I think there's quite a few girls who change the brightness/contrast settings of their pictures. This alone can change the appearance of their skin already. I'm not sure there's that many who take it any further though...

Yep, a load of girls on my friends list do this.
Reply 6
I don't. I just untag any that I think I look awful in lol

This was sent from TSR's iPhone app, as I couldn't be arsed to turn on the laptop.
Reply 7
I think most just tend to pick out pictures they end up looking good in I.e. the ones with such a bright flash that you can't even recognise them anymore Lool. :biggrin:
Reply 8
I'm scared of posting pictures using my SLR camera. It shows everything bad & I'm a guy :tongue:

Never been a fan of flash in photos though, but there are other ways to get over exposed shots. Most girls for example take pictures with bright lights, and if they quickly take the shot, it would have overexposed, if only ever so slightly.

Especially with camera phones you tend to see pictures taken with (iphone)... by a mirror, not to mention flipped so its the wrong way too.
i dont edit but i refuse to have a photo if im not wearing make up :frown: mostly cos my bad skin :frown:
Not me. I don't even know how to use it.
Reply 11
I'll be honest, I did this when I was like 14 when I was doing the classic mirror shots and all sorts (soo embarassing, but we all did it!)

Nowadays, most people's pictures are uploaded from parties and things soo there isn't as much oppurtunity to do it.
Reply 12
They just choose the flattering pictures and put filters on them usually!
Reply 13
Lol, I don't think I know anyone who does this. I untag myself occaisonally in really unflattering ones but that's it.
Reply 14
when i upload photos from parties or whatever i auto adjust all of them, so my computer automatically adjusts brightness and contrast to make the photos look better. Its more to improve the quality and how everyone looks than myself!
Not gonna lie I do play with brightness and contrast of profile photos. I don't like how I look without it, i feel better if my profile photo is decent. I don't make it so I edit my skin or eyes or rub out spots, i still look realistic to how i look. but i guess to how i look on a good day when i've done my make up for a night out. probably shouldnt but its what makes me feel more confident...
no i really don't see the point... but some people are insecure to that level and i won't critisise them for it because it will make them feel better and more confident... it's sad but it's only facebook at the end of the day.

it's not usually photoshop though, it's those online editor things... my friends use the "smooth" tool thing which i guess is like airbrush then they use that colour correction thing.
(edited 11 years ago)
Well I don't really upload pictures of myself posing (who does that these days?! it's not myspace!). Usually it'll be group shots or whatever, so all I do if anything is remove red eye or maybe crop the pictures..
LoL People really do this? crikey! lol I just upload pictures I like, or put the FB setting on, where only I can approve pictures where I look about half decent! lol
Reply 18
I never edit any of my photos, the only one's I have on my profile that look edited are a couple from a photo shoot I had done that were edited by the professionals their to show what you could have done should you want to but it just looks a bit plastically and obviously fake compared to my normal photos.
Reply 19
I was looking through some girls photos a while back and remember thinking how perfect their skin was etc. A few weeks later i was playing around with picnik and used the 'airbrush' tool on my face. My skin suddenly became as perfect as theirs. That was when i realised my skin was no worse in real life, its just my photos hadn't been edited!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending