Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do we need contents insurance?

Announcements Posted on
TSR wants you: get involved with Power Hour. 10-04-2014
Interview Discussion 30-01-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering if the college has any sort of cover for possessions in your room? Obviously doors are locked etc but I'd be gutted if my laptop or anything was stolen/damaged, so if the uni can't cover it then I'll have to put insurance into my budget!

if insurance is advisable, what's the best? Endsleigh seems to be popular but it's quite expensive to cover valuable items - i don't have an ipod, speakers, expensive phone etc but my laptop is my brother's and it's worth about £1400. what would be the best option to cover that? (including loss, damage, theft)

Thanks for any advice
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Check as often you will be covered on your parents home insurance, I was.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quagers)
    Check as often you will be covered on your parents home insurance, I was.
    You wouldn't be covered by your parent's home insurance, how would you be? The only thing you could claim on under your parent's insurance is loss or damage to objects outside of the home, but you'd need to check the level of the cover as the default level of cover isn't very much for this.

Otherwise, if you feel you need cover then you'll need your own contents insurance to cover contents in your own room, just do a search on confused.com, gocompare.com, etc
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by canŵio)
    I was wondering if the college has any sort of cover for possessions in your room? Obviously doors are locked etc but I'd be gutted if my laptop or anything was stolen/damaged, so if the uni can't cover it then I'll have to put insurance into my budget!

if insurance is advisable, what's the best? Endsleigh seems to be popular but it's quite expensive to cover valuable items - i don't have an ipod, speakers, expensive phone etc but my laptop is my brother's and it's worth about £1400. what would be the best option to cover that? (including loss, damage, theft)

Thanks for any advice
    I think my uni I'm going to in September has content insurance paid for within the Hall's Fees- so I assume others would to in your first year. However if it doesn't then just get insurance yourself if you're worried about your stuff. Places like http://uk.protectyourbubble.com/ are apparently quite cheap.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rocket0612)
    You wouldn't be covered by your parent's home insurance, how would you be?
    Beats me, but we rang and checked specifically and the insurance company confirmed I was covered up to £2000.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quagers)
    Beats me, but we rang and checked specifically and the insurance company confirmed I was covered up to £2000.
    It must be for personal possessions outside of home eg for the co-op:

Our personal possessions insurance is an optional extra of our contents insurance that offers you a choice of insuring:

Unspecified personal possessions – which includes:

• personal items (including laptops), valuables and clothing normally worn or carried outside the home up to £2,000 per article, pair, set or collection
    Although by not living at home and claiming through that would be deemed fraudulent and I doubt they would pay if you told them say you has stuff stolen from your uni bedroom - you'd need to lie.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What part of this do you not get! We rang the insurance company and specifically checked! So no I wouldn't need to lie at all.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well I was half right - a good article explains what you are covered for under your parent's insurance and what you aren't covered for under the laptop heading:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2010...nsurance-deals
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    yes, speaking from experience, we had a housefire a few years back, the claim totalled £50, 000, thats before the builders wages were paid for 6 months..
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by canŵio)

Thanks for any advice
    I'm pretty sure college doesn't cover for you. And Endsleigh I think is generally the best easy to find deal out there - I've never seen anyone suggest better.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't really bother with contents insurance if your living in halls, but if you have an expensive laptop why not look into just laptop insurance, I believe Endsleigh charge extra for laptop coverage.

Important note, I managed to spill coke on my netbook this year; it was fairly old anyway so it was a good excuse to get a new one. But this is definitely a good cover to look into.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: July 22, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.