The Student Room Group

Is French ab initio a good choice for me?

I have been taking hindi as my second language but I wanted to change to french ab initio for my 11th Grade IB. I was just wondering if it will be to hard to cope up with it.

Also I was wondering if you have taken french since the 8th Grade are you allowed to take ab initio in the 11th for IB? If it is allowed I am a little nervous for taking french because then all my friends will be one step ahead of me as they will have already studied the ab initio portion before.

Please help!!

Thank you!! :smile:
Reply 1
According to official IB rules, you cannot take Ab Initios if you have done that language before. but heaps of people break that rule each year.

I do ab initio, my teacher is crap, I have to work on my own all the time. For me translation and some strange grammar rules are the killer. But as far as you work hard you should be fine. Personally I am struggling :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by TrysBaldai
According to official IB rules, you cannot take Ab Initios if you have done that language before. but heaps of people break that rule each year.

They do, and if you are actually following the rules, then Ab Initio is mental! It's certainly more difficult than a GCSE, which would mean 3-5 years of study. I don't see how genuine beginners can get 6s or 7s.
Original post by Harve
They do, and if you are actually following the rules, then Ab Initio is mental! It's certainly more difficult than a GCSE, which would mean 3-5 years of study. I don't see how genuine beginners can get 6s or 7s.

I think a lot of it depends on what your strengths are, if you have a talent for languages then ab initio certainly isn't too difficult. Obviously if you're a complete beginner to learning any language then the whole process is difficult to pick up as quickly as ab initio requires you to pick it up, but if you've studied a language before and are familiar with learning about grammar etc, I actually think an ab initio language is one of the easier subjects you can take. But then, I'm a languages person and that's just my opinion :smile: also my ab initio language was Italian when I was also studying HL French, so there's a lot of overlap, I guess if you haven't studied a romance language before then it will be more difficult to pick up. I suppose my point is that it just depends on circumstances :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending