The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster University TSR Open Week (July 2nd - 13th)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jyalland
Hi, I am hoping to apply either for Philosophy or for PPE for entry in September 2013, and I would like to know, if I go for either, is it possible to take up modules in Economics? Or even better, would it be possible to change from a Philosophy degree to a Philosophy and Economics Degree, as a Joint Honours? I know it isn't offered as a degree option, but I'd like to do Economics and Philosophy without having to do Politics also, if I can avoid it.

Also if it were possible to do Economics and Philosophy, and if not, for PPE is Maths a required subject? I'm doing A Level Economics and Religious Studies this year, but not Maths, so I'm wondering if it would hinder my chances.
Thanks.

Hi jyalland,

Thanks for your enquiry. It sounds to me like you want to PPE but without one of the 'Ps' = politics! The quick answer to your questions is Lancaster degrees are very flexible in the first year where most students take up to 3 subjects. Therefore you could study Philosophy, and pick up Economics and another subject in your first year (subject to availability etc). So I'd apply for Philosophy and then when you get to us pick up the other subjects you like as your other part 1 (first year courses).

Don't worry about not having Maths A level for PPE or Economics as it's not required (although you'll need a B or above at GCSE).

Hope that helps!

All the best,

Fred
(edited 11 years ago)
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 41
Hi :smile:

I have firmed FCF3,at Lancaster.
The entry requirements are AAA.
If I were to get AAB would I still be accepted?
I took 5AS's in year 12, then dropped down to 3A2 this year, and picked up another AS (further maths),this year. If I were to get an A in the further maths AS combined with the As I got in my 2AS's from year 12, would this make up for the B in one of my A2s?

On your website it states that it accepts 2AS in lieu of an A-level.
My offer didn't specify what I had to get the A's in.

Sorry if this is confusing.

Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 42
Original post by Lancaster University
Hi SkrillaGB,

Thanks for your message and wow what a lot of questions! Firstly you should apply for this degree course as it's great especially if you want to work as a graduate focusing on ICT as the course has good links to business through our management school.

Secondly, I'm pretty sure we'd accept your ICT OCR qualifications. Do you get a Distinction/Merit/ Pass for this? If so we'd make you an offer based around your 2 A levels and your level 3 qual (for example AA/AB + Dist in your level 3). Are you coming to one of our visit days as it would be a good idea to talk to one of our admissions team.

Secondly, and this is my personal opinion, you'd be better carrying on with the History to A2. Having A2 History, Business, and your level 3 ICT would make a stronger application for the course as I know the Management School tends to favour applicants with strong A levels (although BTECs and other equivalent qualifications etc...) I'd get some advice from your school too and again have a chat with one of our admissions staff at the visit days.

Hope this helps!

All the best,

Fred

Thanks for your swift response Fred. To answer your question, I'm currently achieving distinction's in my nationals course and have completed half of the course (One A Level equivalent) up to a distinction (A grade equivalent, 120 UCAS Points) and plan on achieving exactly the same next year hopefully alongside my Business Studies A2 and possibly History as well at atleast B's.

I'm still undecided though to be honest, I know that EDEXCEL History gains far more recognition than the OCR Business Studies qualification I'm currently doing but then again, is it really relevant if I'm looking to study the ITMB degree? But like you said, taking an additional A Level would only strengthen my chances...

Hope you don't mind me asking another question if possible, what are the sporting facilities like at Lancaster University? I recognised that it's a top university academically already but haven't really looked into this section of it. I'm pretty keen on sports myself and having quality sports facilities would be a massive boost for me personally.

I'm also planning on attending an Open Day anyway, as I will with the majority of the universities offering ITMB. I plan on doing this during the summer but as i'm a bit behind with the university process i've not been able to book for August but will be sure to attend your September open day definitely!
Original post by AJCSShp
Hi :smile:

I have firmed FCF3,at Lancaster.
The entry requirements are AAA.
If I were to get AAB would I still be accepted?
I took 5AS's in year 12, then dropped down to 3A2 this year, and picked up another AS (further maths),this year. If I were to get an A in the further maths AS combined with the As I got in my 2AS's from year 12, would this make up for the B in one of my A2s?

On your website it states that it accepts 2AS in lieu of an A-level.
My offer didn't specify what I had to get the A's in.

Sorry if this is confusing.

Thanks in advance :smile:

Hi AJCSShp,

Great you've got an offer for Natural Sciences and thanks for making us your firm choice. With regards to the grades - your post is a little confusing and I think you're over analysing our offer-(but that's you scientists!)

If we have made you an offer AAA, the grades you'll need to get will be AAA to guarantee getting accepted. However, sometime when students slip a grade who have made us their firm choice we try our very best still to make them an offer but this is down to the discretion of the admissions tutor looking at your application...

My advice would be you've taken your exams, sit tight and wait for your results. We'll look at all your grades when AS & A2s when deciding to make you an Firm offer in August.

All the best,

Fred
Original post by SkrillaGB
Thanks for your swift response Fred. To answer your question, I'm currently achieving distinction's in my nationals course and have completed half of the course (One A Level equivalent) up to a distinction (A grade equivalent, 120 UCAS Points) and plan on achieving exactly the same next year hopefully alongside my Business Studies A2 and possibly History as well at atleast B's.

I'm still undecided though to be honest, I know that EDEXCEL History gains far more recognition than the OCR Business Studies qualification I'm currently doing but then again, is it really relevant if I'm looking to study the ITMB degree? But like you said, taking an additional A Level would only strengthen my chances...

Hope you don't mind me asking another question if possible, what are the sporting facilities like at Lancaster University? I recognised that it's a top university academically already but haven't really looked into this section of it. I'm pretty keen on sports myself and having quality sports facilities would be a massive boost for me personally.

I'm also planning on attending an Open Day anyway, as I will with the majority of the universities offering ITMB. I plan on doing this during the summer but as i'm a bit behind with the university process i've not been able to book for August but will be sure to attend your September open day definitely!

You're welcome and glad to help. Sounds like you're going to be a cracking applicant who will get an offer so keep it up!

With regards to the sports side of things - it's brilliant. Lancaster has invested £20 million in a new state of the art Sport Centre which opened last August. Have look at some of it's facilities here:

http://www.sportscentrelancaster.co.uk/

Also, LUSU our student union have loads of sports clubs and societies which are worth checking out here:

http://activities.lusu.co.uk/competitive-sport/

Right - I'm off to bed as I'm all 'Student Roomed Out' but me and the team will be answering more posts tomorrow so keep them coming!

All the best,

Fred
Reply 45
if applying for biological sciences which would be more valuble: AA in Geography and biology with a B in chemistry OR AA with an A in product design instead?

Reply 46
Hi AJCSShp,

Great you've got an offer for Natural Sciences and thanks for making us your firm choice. With regards to the grades - your post is a little confusing and I think you're over analysing our offer-(but that's you scientists!)

If we have made you an offer AAA, the grades you'll need to get will be AAA to guarantee getting accepted. However, sometime when students slip a grade who have made us their firm choice we try our very best still to make them an offer but this is down to the discretion of the admissions tutor looking at your application...

My advice would be you've taken your exams, sit tight and wait for your results. We'll look at all your grades when AS & A2s when deciding to make you an Firm offer in August.

All the best,

Fred

Okay. Thank You :smile:
Original post by peteguy
if applying for biological sciences which would be more valuble: AA in Geography and biology with a B in chemistry OR AA with an A in product design instead?

Hi peteguy,

We like Biology applicants to have 2 science A levels and you'll need AAB for an offer on the straight 3year Bsc course. It's worth noting we count Geog as a science. To be honest and this is my personal opinion, I think you'd be better having Geog, Biol and Chemistry but as long as you have 2 strong science A levels and an A in Product Design you'd be okay!

Hope that helps and thanks for your interest in Lancaster.

All the best,

Fred
Original post by 3DDY
Would it be risky applying for the townhouse accomodation at both county and grizedale for my 1st and 2nd choices? I have a firmed conditional offer for my first year so am i guarenteed one of them or not? Cheers :smile:

I didn't put 2 townhouses on my form last year for this reason!

I put grizedale townhouse 1st and pendle standard 2nd,

I got a grizedale townhouse... all 11 of my housemates put county townhouse as their second choice! So I would say it doesn't matter, you really want a townhouse... then put them both down :smile:
Reply 49
Thank you for the reply. I appreciate it.

One last question regarding the Dangoor Scholarship, the application deadline is 1 August 2012 however when downloading the form, it states 1 June 2012. Could you please confirm which date is the correct one?

Thank you.
I dont know if this thread has stopped being answered to now, but id like to ask when will we find out what accomodation and college we has been given? cheers.
Reply 51
Original post by MarshyJ7792
I dont know if this thread has stopped being answered to now, but id like to ask when will we find out what accomodation and college we has been given? cheers.

Read below.

For information about our application process, please see the undergraduate accommodation page. Please note that we don't allocate rooms until after the UK exam results are published in mid August.

Thanks
Original post by Erratic
Thank you for the reply. I appreciate it.

One last question regarding the Dangoor Scholarship, the application deadline is 1 August 2012 however when downloading the form, it states 1 June 2012. Could you please confirm which date is the correct one?

Thank you.

Hi,
I'm not the person managing this forum but I saw your post and thought I'd answer.

I received an e-mail from the head of my course stating that the deadline was 1st August.

I think originally, it was the 1st of June, but I assume not many people heard about it and so they didn't get many applications. That's my guess as to why they've extended the deadline, anyway :smile:
Hi Erratic,

I have looked into the Dangoor Scholarship on our website the date is indeed 1st August, sorry for any confusion.

http://www.lancs.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/fees-and-funding/dangoor-scholarships/

Best,

James
Reply 54
Hi Sean,

Thanks for being the first person to join our thread and for your interest in Lancaster! Your enquiry is a tricky one as we have plenty of great courses in our History and Theatre Studies departments but we don't offer a specific combined programme. However in the first year at Lancaster you might be able to study Theatre Studies and take some History courses as your Part 1 minor. The entry requirments for Theatre are ABB plus audition/interview and History is AAA (no interview). You can find out more about both courses at:

http://www.lancs.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/theatre-studies-ba-hons-w440/

http://www.lancs.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/history-ba-hons-v100/

All the best,

Fred

No problem at all. Thanks for that, it really helps. Seeing as I won't be going to university for another year or so, I'm considering a variety of options so the idea of doing Theatre Studies and studying History as part of my Part 1 minor is a brilliant idea. Also, do you think doing a degree in the Theatre/Drama will help me to possibly have a career in acting in the future? I know this is a bit of a vague question but is there some kind of percentage into future employment for the theatre studies/history course?

Thanks again, Sean.
Hi,
I'm considering of applying for Philosophy,Politics and Economics at Lancaster

How badly would my GCSE's affect my application?
GCSE Grades:

Business and Economics-A
ICT-A
RE-A
Maths-B(retaking this November to get an A)
Double Sci-BB
Eng Lit-B
Eng lang-C(might retake this aswell)
Art-C
French-D

Considering i achieve these grades for my AS levels

Maths-A
Economics-A
RE-A
Politics-A
Chemistry-A
ICT-C

Thanks
Reply 56
Your grades seem fine and as long as you meet their requirements, you should receive an offer. I have mostly Bs and Cs in my GCSEs and that didn't affect anything.

P.S You don't have to retake English or Maths as they only require a grade B at GCSE Maths.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 57
Hey,

I'm coming Lancaster in September and i have a query about internet. After reading all the info about the internet in accommodation i am struggling to decide weather to get an internet dongle. I think i may need one due to the fact i watch a lot of tv through my laptop and download a lot and sometimes game. I just wondered how did you find the internet in your accommodation and what would you suggest.

Many Thanks :smile:
Hi Sean,
I'm glad we managed to help. In regards to your second enquiry regarding employability on History and Theatre studies. This is a difficult question to answer as employment prospects largely depend on individuals levels of achievement during their degree, the additional activities they take part in that bolster their employability and the professional networks they manage to build during their study.
Lancaster University has many excellent opportunities get involved in additional activities including students’ societies, dance, Theatre and film, and an award winning volunteering unit. They can all help you gain work experience and positions of responsibility that will all add to your employment prospects when you graduate.
Lancaster Institute of Contemporary Arts (LICA) the department that runs Theatre studies also has a dedicated enterprise Unit that works directly with the creative industries providing opportunities for students to work and gain paid work and experience in the arts and creative sector. See link:
http://www.lancs.ac.uk/fass/lica/enterprise/
On the Theatre studies course there is also the opportunity to study in New York in your second year as a study abroad option. Students often find that study abroad experiences enhance their world view and open up some really exciting opportunities when they graduate.
Lancaster is a top 10 ranked UK University and has an excellent reputation amongst employers. This year across the university 94% (up from last year s 92%) of our graduates gained employment or went into further study. This makes us the best in the North West for employability and better than any of the other current top 10 ranked Universities in the UK (Including Oxbridge). In addition 78% of our Graduates go into graduate level employment.
I don’t presently have specific information for individual subject areas but as a general example the Faculty of Social Science (FASS) that encompasses history as well as a number of other subjects has a rate of 67% and Lancaster Institute of Contemporary Arts (LICA) that includes Art, Theatre studies Creative arts etc has a rate of 71%.

Hope this helps!
Hi Philosophy&Econ,

Thanks for your message regarding your GCSE grades. I have spoken to our admissions team aout your case.

Your current GCSE grades would be acceptable for entry onto the PPE course however GCSEs are only a small part of the picture that we look at when offering places to students.
Specifically we will look at your AS predicted grades, personal statement and references from teaching staff at your school.

So my advice would be, continue to study hard to achieve our entry grades for the PPE course (currently AAB for 2013 entry). You will also need to provide an impressive personal statement, stating a passion for the subject backed up by evidence of why you want to study PPE at HE level. Books you have read? People who inspire you? Future career aspirations will all be useful things to comment on.

Above all make yourself stand out from the crowd.

Hope this helps?

James

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending