Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Was this a speed camera?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can someone help me out on this one...driving down the motorway yesterday there was 1 set of signs above the lanes saying '50mph obstruction ahead' traffic was flowing as normal just rush hour traffic so everyone was doing at least 70mph i was doing 80. A little further ahead a policecar was sat ontop of a bridge with a tripod and what looked like a black camer ontop of it. Policeman was nowhere near the camera but stood at the side of his car. Is this a speed camera or an anpr camera that just catches tax and reg plates. Just after the bridge that he was on another set of signs on the motorway said 'End' so there was no obstruction in the way. Very confused as if it was a speed camera surely he would of had to catch every other motorist on the motorway.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahj99)
    Can someone help me out on this one...driving down the motorway yesterday there was 1 set of signs above the lanes saying '50mph obstruction ahead' traffic was flowing as normal just rush hour traffic so everyone was doing at least 70mph i was doing 80. A little further ahead a policecar was sat ontop of a bridge with a tripod and what looked like a black camer ontop of it. Policeman was nowhere near the camera but stood at the side of his car. Is this a speed camera or an anpr camera that just catches tax and reg plates. Just after the bridge that he was on another set of signs on the motorway said 'End' so there was no obstruction in the way. Very confused as if it was a speed camera surely he would of had to catch every other motorist on the motorway.
    Did the signs say 50mph and were orange led type ones? Or where they the variable speed limit type signs (looks just like a normal speed limit sign on a digital display).

Those mobile cameras police can just set up at the side of the road are usually ANPR to catch tax/insurance dodgers etc. Although I have heard that these CAN be multi-use and record speed... BUT... I've also heard that I don't think they can use this to send a ticket in the post, but can use it to chase after you!

(what I just said may or may not be true... :rolleyes:)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It was a solid orange 50mph obstruction sign above all 3 lanes it wasnt flashing but the traffic was all flowing at 70mph. I vaguley remember the camera being like a long black tube shape on a tripod. But not sure how it could pick up peoples speed if theres so much traffic on the motorway at rush hour or wether it was just one of those anpr ones
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The police car was facing sideways so he was parked on the curb of the bride as i passed under it

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 29, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.