Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

USA jobs with a British degree?

Announcements Posted on
The Careers section needs more moderators! 21-04-2014
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
Interview discussion rules - please read before posting! 12-01-2013
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    My dream is to work in NYC, and I was wondering is it possible to get an economics degree in England but use it in america as a stock broker or as some people prefer to call it a 'financial adviser', will it be of the same value. I am aiming currently of going to Cambridge, and if not there then another high established university for economics. Will this enable we or advantage me in the US in any way and is it possible?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    As someone who lived in america, it isnt all its cracked up to be. Health care only for the rich, should you be down on your luck and lose your job, not much support from the gov etc. NYC is really dirty and overcrowded.

But if you still really want to live there, oxford and cambridge are the only ones that americans really know about.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mmac900)
    As someone who lived in america, it isnt all its cracked up to be. Health care only for the rich, should you be down on your luck and lose your job, not much support from the gov etc. NYC is really dirty and overcrowded.

But if you still really want to live there, oxford and cambridge are the only ones that americans really know about.
    Okay thanks for the help!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

Do not be put off by this misleading comment. If you have an economics degree from a UK university then you still have a relatively good chance. My fathers friend's son recently got a job in America after graduating in Engineering from UWL so don't be put off!!

What I'm trying to say is don't let anyone on here tell you that it is impossible or near impossible, they don't know you and they don't know US employers minds. Everyone is unique and if you have the drive and ambition, you will get there!! It's my dream too
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharliePhillips)
    My dream is to work in NYC, and I was wondering is it possible to get an economics degree in England but use it in america as a stock broker or as some people prefer to call it a 'financial adviser', will it be of the same value. I am aiming currently of going to Cambridge, and if not there then another high established university for economics. Will this enable we or advantage me in the US in any way and is it possible?
    Stock broker and financial advisor are not the same jobs in the states.

A stock broker primarily trades shares and some other securities for their clients, (usually they are just called brokers these days, the stock is mostly omitted).

A financial advisor on the other hand deals with the health of the clients finances across the board, much of it is less dynamic than broking and focuses on areas such as planning for retirement and long term investments.

I am a mature student/parent on these boards and have lived most of my life in the US and my ex-husband owns a financial planning business amongst others. He did a history degree and has an MBA. To become either a broker or FA in the states it doesn't matter so much what your undergrad is in as you will need to pass the Series 7 exam and possibly other licenture also depending upon the financial products you will be selling.

Whilst I'm by no means trying to discourage your dream I think it would be incredibly difficult for you to get hired in one of these types of roles in NY though. The majority of this type of work is commission based especially when one starts out and that requires the individual to have an established network of potential clients to work. Companies also routinely credit check applicants and without an established credit history in the states you are an unknown quantity. If you are serious about this type of work you would be far better off going to a US east coast university and working on your connections than doing an econ degree in the UK.

Or alternatively another option would be to go to uni here and then look for a job in a global financial institution and work your way into a transfer situation though this is likely to be in a different area. I have friends who have done this successfully but who mostly worked in M&A.

Good luck.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illuminated_A)
    Do not be put off by this misleading comment. If you have an economics degree from a UK university then you still have a relatively good chance. My fathers friend's son recently got a job in America after graduating in Engineering from UWL so don't be put off!!

What I'm trying to say is don't let anyone on here tell you that it is impossible or near impossible, they don't know you and they don't know US employers minds. Everyone is unique and if you have the drive and ambition, you will get there!! It's my dream too
    My comment is not misleading, I have lived in Chicago for 10 years and have been to NYC.

I know what I am talking about and living in the uk now, i much prefer it, the people, the culture, etc.

Why do you want to live in america so bad? Things you take for granted here are not availabe in the us and the attitude over there is everyone out for themselves.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    My comment is not misleading, I have lived in Chicago for 10 years and have been to NYC.

I know what I am talking about and living in the uk now, i much prefer it, the people, the culture, etc.

Why do you want to live in america so bad? Things you take for granted here are not availabe in the us and the attitude over there is everyone out for themselves.
    Look at it like this you have moved to the UK from the US because it's a change of culture, yes you may prefer the people and I don't know people in NYC but it's a change of culture I want to live there late in life as you wanted to live here...
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of doing the same you should be fine if you get a lot of work experience etc, then hopefully you can get something out there? Or you could do a masters degree for one year in the states with a student Visa, and do work experience out there during the holidays. Couldn't hurt.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Best hope is to work for a multinational in the uk and then get a transfer.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharliePhillips)
    Look at it like this you have moved to the UK from the US because it's a change of culture, yes you may prefer the people and I don't know people in NYC but it's a change of culture I want to live there late in life as you wanted to live here...

And the reason I moved to uk is because I didnt like america and I was already a citizen of EU, so its almost like going back for me.

I am not trying to discourage you, just saying think about why you want to live there. A lot of people that havent lived or ever been to america think its so amazing, when in reality its not. I am going to say again about health care, as it is the worst system of any industralized country. Only the rich can afford to get decent health care, something you get in the uk for free.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cgraham15)
    I'm thinking of doing the same you should be fine if you get a lot of work experience etc, then hopefully you can get something out there? Or you could do a masters degree for one year in the states with a student Visa, and do work experience out there during the holidays. Couldn't hurt.
    That's what I was thinking earlier today if I get some sort of post grad degree in america in economics or management etc. (which is 100% possible) then it should be possible. Only issue is fees because after £45k+ from uni in the UK I would have to stack up more debt. However I believe it to be worth it!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I hope so. I want to get into PR and Marketing, have a average degree but thinking of teaching in China and then learning the language. Any idea if this is a good plan?

Im pretty determined but as I said my basic degree won’t be enough to crack into it, although I have a lot of extra curriculum on my side.

Any advice or help for ways to get into it would be very welcome.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: July 9, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Marketing,Sales ad PR Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.