Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Jaguar or Mercedes?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    My dad wants to buy a new car but he can't choose between the Jaguar XK5 and Mercedes Cabriolet. Which is better and why?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I would probably go Mercedes. I've never driven a Mercedes or a Jaguar, but I just always get the impression that German > British.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Ask him to think about Jaguar XF (soooooooo comfortable, looks good, good toys, nice steering, mood lighting etc)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Anyone else got any suggestions?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Bump.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Tell him Skoda and gauge his reaction
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    The XK5 hasn't quite enjoyed the same level of face-lifting and improvements as the other new Jag models which have totally turned the company around. The interior isn't as good as it is in other Jags either)

But it is sportier and will sound better (subjective of course).

Also you will be able to say you have a Jwaaaaaaaaaaaag (Top Gear reference).

Mercedes will be cheaper to run, service and insure (generally speaking). But it isn't as exclusive as the XK and to be honest the build quality of Mercedes is appalling nowadays (I've got 2 new Mercs in my household so have seen it first-hand). They don't quite have that well made solid feel to them any more.

But in the end it is a choice only the buyer should make, sit in both cars drive them about and choose the one which makes them happiest.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marc Fiorano)
    The XK5 hasn't quite enjoyed the same level of face-lifting and improvements as the other new Jag models which have totally turned the company around. The interior isn't as good as it is in other Jags either)

But it is sportier and will sound better (subjective of course).

Also you will be able to say you have a Jwaaaaaaaaaaaag (Top Gear reference).

Mercedes will be cheaper to run, service and insure (generally speaking). But it isn't as exclusive as the XK and to be honest the build quality of Mercedes is appalling nowadays (I've got 2 new Mercs in my household so have seen it first-hand). They don't quite have that well made solid feel to them any more.

But in the end it is a choice only the buyer should make, sit in both cars drive them about and choose the one which makes them happiest.
    Thanks, a really good answer

If not the XK5 then what other Jag would you recommend?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Bump.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    My Dad has a Jaguar XF and Mum has a Mercedes CLK; not quite the same, but I'd say the Merc is more fun to drive and just feels a bit more powerful.
    However, in terms of reliability, the Jag seems to trump the Merc. Nothing's gone wrong with the Jag thus far, but the Merc's air con seems to routinely break.

I'd just say go for whichever is most fun to drive.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    I won't buy a Jag under any circumstance. Mercedes well it would be in consideration but I reckon I'd stick to Audis or BMWs.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wraysford)
    My dad wants to buy a new car but he can't choose between the Jaguar XK5 and Mercedes Cabriolet. Which is better and why?
    What model of mercedes is it?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	my first ever car.jpeg 
Views:	23 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	161274
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wraysford)
    Thanks, a really good answer

If not the XK5 then what other Jag would you recommend?
    Dads got the XF, I love it and hopefully I'll snag a drive in it

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 4, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.