Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

ALEVELS for medicine.

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi..

I want to study medicine at uni and I've just finished my GCSE's...

and I've chosen to study Chemistry,Biology and Maths for my Alevels. I'm really stuck on what to study for my fourth subject.
    I thought about physics but I don't really enjoy it or even like it. I was going to choose sociology (as only) or even psychology..

So what subject do you guys recommend I study as my fourth alevel? Out of english lit,psychology,sociology or any other subject which would link to my other 3 alevels.
    Thanks!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LucyJ12)
    Hi..

and I've chosen to study Chemistry,Biology and Maths for my Alevels. I'm really stuck on what to study for my fourth subject.
    I thought about physics but I don't really enjoy it or even like it. I was going to choose sociology (as only) or even psychology..

So what subject do you guys recommend I study as my fourth alevel? Out of english lit,psychology,sociology or any other subject which would link to my other 3 alevels.
    Thanks!
    English lit is the most respected; psychology and sociology aren't respected as much. Do English.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    it depends where you want to go but generally you only need chemistry and biology for medicine, you can chose whatever you like!
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi..

Thanks!
    Given that you are doing Chem/Bio/Maths already, I don't think it would matter too much which one you do for your 4th.

Just go for a subject that you like, as long as it is a respected subject.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pyjamatrousers.)
    it depends where you want to go but generally you only need chemistry and physics for medicine, you can chose whatever you like!
    I thought Biology was absolutely necessary?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Universities often like a contrasting 4th subject. I did bio chem maths as well as Latin because I was interested in it!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Definitely do biology.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Possibly english literature, it would be useful to have some recent practice at essay writing before going into university.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chief Wiggum)
    Given that you are doing Chem/Bio/Maths already, I don't think it would matter too much which one you do for your 4th.

Just go for a subject that you like, as long as it is a respected subject.
    Okay , thanks !
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Most universities want chemistry and then one other science. In all fairness nothing you learn in A-level biology will be terribly useful. If you think about it, anything you would learn about anatomy at university will be starting from scratch anyway.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Biology is necessary yes, but Chemistry is more so.. not sure why but it is...
    biology isn't always relevant to medicine i.e. the stuff you learn about plants..
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi..

Thanks!
    Medical schools generally just specify Chemistry and Biology and the other subjects are up to you!
    The third and fourth subjects are for you to do what you want
    Personally I did Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Psychology. I enjoyed maths and happened to be reasonable at it :') and I thought psychology would be interesting (which it was)
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Biology and chemistry are absolutely necessary and then you can pretty much choose any other subject!

I did french and psychology

a friend in med school had done photography A-level in addition to her bio/chem

basically just use your last option for choosing something you like and are quite good at and are likely to get an A in!

(can always look at a few uni entry requirements for reassurance that whatever you choose is ok!)
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    I did RS, tis' was fun.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do further maths, it will make normal maths look piss easy and it's also quite enjoyable. I'm sure FMaths will look better than other courses
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zenzic)
    Do further maths, it will make normal maths look piss easy and it's also quite enjoyable. I'm sure FMaths will look better than other courses
    I think it's a bit awkward for medicine though, because some universities only view Maths and Further Maths as one subject.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would do psychology! It's a fascinating subject and considering you're doing biology and chemistry, it'll give you a strong advantage when studying neurotransmitters, disorders and drugs. It's very easy to tie it with your other subjects, which is good for when you write your personal statement. My friend took biology, chemistry, maths and psychology and got all her offers so if any one tries to make out that it's not a respectable subject, complete and utter lie. :P You could even make a tie with psychiatry, which you'll study on a medical course. So if you like psychology, it might influence what area of medicine you want to go into!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chief Wiggum)
    I think it's a bit awkward for medicine though, because some universities only view Maths and Further Maths as one subject.
    It pretty much is one subject, but it demonstrates you can learn things to a high level. Would think it would be valued much higher than the other sciences (Excluding the main 4)
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    It pretty much is one subject, but it demonstrates you can learn things to a high level. Would think it would be valued much higher than the other sciences (Excluding the main 4)
    Why not do a language? I am currently doing Biology, Chemistry Mathematics and French. French seems quite enjoyable and gives me a rest after having hours of science!
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, given that some medschools don't consider it a separate subject (which I think is unfair, but that's how it is), I fail to see how it could be argued as being "valued much higher"; if anything, it seems to be valued lower.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 2, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Spooky tales from this year's fright night

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.