Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Uni's should be selling themselves to us not vice versa!

Announcements Posted on
    • 58 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jayjamine)
    Anyone else feel the same??
    Yes

But they do

I have been to 4 open days with my daughter so far ... the courses all looked great on paper ... they are all RG universities ... 2 of them are not good at selling themselves (well the depts in question) and she is not going to apply

When she decides on her 5 choices they will be universities that have convinced her they are worthy of her and her (my) money ... she will then need to convince them that she is what they need too

Pretty much like a job interview ... when I go to an interview I am looking to them to give me FAR more than than the £9k that the universities are asking for ... but I still expect them to convince me that they are the right environment for me
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jayjamine)
    I mean we don't get to interview our lecturers before hand!
    You do if you go to the open days. Attending the open days tells you far more about the uni than a prospectus can and (of the ones I attended) the lecturers deliver a presentation and you can ask them questions afterwards.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Quite. One member of the lecturing staff at my place looked like Ozy Osbourne, was very obviously male yet wore summer dresses all the time. Had I seen or spoken to him/her/whatever on an open day I'd have dug a hole and never emerged.
    Kelly Osbourne lectured at your Uni???
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    they do sell themselves quite a bit. in all prospectuses i have read, plus course leaflets etc, they say "why choose xxxxx" (with reasons) and "why choose to study yyyyy at xxxxx" (with reasons.)

i could see why with all the ones i visited, they all looked really cool and so will probably apply to them. it was only three (leeds/liverpool/nottingham) and then a languages day at cambridge.

in the end its all personal opinion.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenOfThem)
    Pretty much like a job interview ... when I go to an interview I am looking to them to give me FAR more than than the £9k that the universities are asking for ... but I still expect them to convince me that they are the right environment for me
    My parents were generally absolute rubbish at interview advice. However, the one thing they did tell me was "Remember you're interviewing them as well, it's not all about what you can give them" - it's served me pretty well. :dontknow:
    • 58 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    My parents were generally absolute rubbish at interview advice. However, the one thing they did tell me was "Remember you're interviewing them as well, it's not all about what you can give them" - it's served me pretty well. :dontknow:
    Spot on

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 2, 2012
New on TSR

Student in a Million awards

All the results from our prize-giving night

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.