The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TattyBoJangles
I think we'll look into getting a gate put up, though. It wasn't mentioned in the OP but our garden wall was knocked down last year by a van that mis-judged the gap when trying to use our drive to turn around in. We've had no instances as bad as that since, but better to be safe than sorry.

That reminds me of my neighbour who lived across the road from us. We moved our driveway to the other end of our front garden years ago, but we never got the curb drop built up (which was almost directly opposite his driveway). My neighbour was very elderly (at least 90 years old), and couldn't tell where our garden wall began, so he managed to knock it down twice: the first time he knocked it down, he didn't even realise until he saw the builder savaging it. Then the day after the wall was completed, he hit it again, even worse than before. It was awful because our next door neighbour found out first and came to the door to tell us! After that, he stopped driving voluntarily (he was probably worried we might contact the DVLA), but it was still really hard to understand that he could make the same mistake twice!
Plant a mine on your driveway. That'll show them :wink:
Park the 3 cars so that there clearly isn't enough room or actually block the driveway with cones. As someone who pays little attention to "Private Road - No Turning" etc signs, I can tell you that while a "Trespassers will be shot" sign would make me chuckle, it wouldn't stop me turning my car around if I needed to
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by JC.
You don't own the drop curb.

Sorry, but folk can do as they please in this instance.

Sorry but that is not true, I paid the local council a lot of money for a dropped kerb it states on the paperwork that the turning is for the sole use of............address of the household. Why would or should someone pay hundreds of pounds to their council for a turning for some ignorant so and so to use at will for nothing, its trespass.
This thread is three years old. How did you even find it?
Reply 25
Original post by bainser
Sorry but that is not true, I paid the local council a lot of money for a dropped kerb it states on the paperwork that the turning is for the sole use of............address of the household. Why would or should someone pay hundreds of pounds to their council for a turning for some ignorant so and so to use at will for nothing, its trespass.

How exactly does it impact your life negatively? You sound like a right miserable bastard to live around.

I've had a dropped kerb put in here. It was £700. Hardly "a lot of money". I couldn't give a balls if someone turns around in my drive.

As for "trespass" LOL! That's not a crime in this country. It *is* a civil matter but what are you going to do about it? Take every single person to court?

Get a grip.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/151292410528 2 or 3 of these in the entrance to your driveway taped down with reflective tape.
Original post by diggy
Block the area with cones (like the big ones seen on building sites)

We used to live in north london on a street with no driveways - it got so bad, we'd sometimes end up having to park 3 or 4 streets away, a good 10 minutes walk from the house. A nightmare when you're bringing the shopping in.

So, one day, we came up with a cunning plan - we found some old traffic cones, got a builders tarp and some smashed up bits of old brick and concrete, and every morning when we'd leave, we'd put the tarp down with the rubble on top, then place traffic cones at the front and back, and off we go. When we came back, we'd simply pick up the tarp in one fell swoop, shift the cones, and park the car.

I think the rest of the street always wondered when those "roadworks" were ever going to get finished. :colondollar:

I'd suggest you just position a car at the front. OR, even better (and less risk in case someone gives it a go anyway), your wheelie bins. Nothing wrong with putting your wheelie bins at the front of your drive, eh?

You could always cross the line and put down one of these metal strips designed to keep burglars from climbing over walls:

... you're probably best off just sticking with the wheelie bin idea if I were you.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad
This thread is three years old. How did you even find it?

Too late.
Might not own it but definitely had to pay for it! Depending where you live £1200 - £2500 which when it cracks they have to pay! And the drive way is there property

Latest