The Student Room Group

university like a level retakes ???

17 and currently at the end of year 12. i think i've ****ed up my a level exams and i'm definitely thinking of retaking the whole year again!

the subjects i'm doing are economics, maths, religious studies and art and i want to study architecture at university. i really want to get into ucl, they ask for ABB and an art a level. i am also considering other good uni's like nottingham etc who also only want art.

If i retake i'll probably take film studies, maths, religious studies and art.

What do universities think of retakes, could this affect my chance of getting into university. If i don't retake, i have no chance of getting into university for a fact.

Any advice?
Any personal experiences of retaking etc??
Any other options i can take?

Is it possible to do a foundation course rather than doing sixth form maybe?
Reply 1
Okay, well the first thing I'd ask is whether UCL was your firm this year?

I only ask because I had Glasgow down as my firm for 2010 entry. When it came to results day, I'd missed my offer (AAB) by one UMS mark and thus, hadn't met my offer (I got ABBB) and was rejected. I could've gone to my insurance or done something through clearing, but like you I knew where I wanted to go and as I was so close, I resat the year.

It was a tough decision but I went back to Sixth Form and reapplied though UCAS. I soon recieved both conditional and unconditional offers and put Glasgow as my firm again (offer was now AAA). I resat all the subjects I got a B in first time round and hoped that this time I'd reach it. Come results day round two, I was accepted into Glasgow! The year had all been worth it and I was so happy, you have no idea. It's such a good feeling after staying back a year :smile:

The important part of this is that my results second time round were AABB and I hadn't actually reached my offer again. Upon phoning Glasgow, they said that the fact that I had resat the year after being so close the first time round had gained me a lot of respect from the university and also, had boosted my application. The fact that I'd put them as my firm two years running also played into my favour.

So what I'm trying to get at is that yes, it is hard to retake the year, especially while all your mates are off to uni and you're not. At the same time, however, it may well be one of the best decisions you ever made.

OP, wait and see what your grades are this time round because you never know, you might have done better than you think.
If you do decide to resit the year like I did, choose your UCAS choices carefully. Apply to UCL and explain in a few sentences why you have resat the year in your personal statement. (Don't mention that UCL is the reason by the way... I doubt your other choices would be too happy :wink2:) Choose other good universities which you feel are attainable and also, try to pick a uni whose entry requirements you have already reached. Chances are, you'll receive an unconditional offer and at least guarantee yourself a uni place for 2013 entry.

Good luck either way and I hope this helped you and anyone else who's in a similar predicament.

PS:- Sorry if this seems rushed and not very well structured, I'm just getting ready to go to the pub, haha.
Reply 2
Original post by crimson&clover8640
17 and currently at the end of year 12. i think i've ****ed up my a level exams and i'm definitely thinking of retaking the whole year again!

the subjects i'm doing are economics, maths, religious studies and art and i want to study architecture at university. i really want to get into ucl, they ask for ABB and an art a level. i am also considering other good uni's like nottingham etc who also only want art.

If i retake i'll probably take film studies, maths, religious studies and art.

What do universities think of retakes, could this affect my chance of getting into university. If i don't retake, i have no chance of getting into university for a fact.

Any advice?
Any personal experiences of retaking etc??
Any other options i can take?

Is it possible to do a foundation course rather than doing sixth form maybe?

Rigt first off, UCL don't necessarily ask for ABB, they are very varible on the grades they give out, so they could be higher. Also when you say ABB AND an art A-level what do you mean? I'm not really sure what you mean about Nottingham only wanting art too, they aren't that fussed about art really (and don't ask for a portolio either) anyway usually Nottingham offers will be AAA, maybe ABB/AAB if they think you are likely to get A*s.

I dont know how well film studies is regarded by the universities you're looking at but I would guess not well, so I wouldn't take that to A2 perhaps. As for retakes I didn't redo a whole year but my AS results weren't brilliant, my UCAS was AABCC (one of the Cs was actually a B due to a problem with the exam board) anyway I did a fair few retakes of Biology and one for Geography and that didn't seem to be a problem. I needed to take them to achieve my predicted grades anyway, so I don't think that will put you at a disadvantage (I applied to Nottingham, Newcastle, Sheffield, LJMU and Northumbria, none seemed to care much about AS results).

I think you should wait for results day, and then make a decision then, I know others who decided to redo a year at this stage. It might not be as bad as you think, so don't do anything too quickly that you will regret.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending