Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Pass Plus

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I have just passed my driving test and although I dont have car at the moment I was wondering if it would be worth doing the pass plus?

I was thinking that if it reduced my insurance quite a bit then it might be useful, if it is going to cost more than I would save, I would just get some motorway lessons etc for my own experience.

I thought I might ring some insurers and see what they said, but in the mean time what are your views? Is it worth it in financial terms?

Thanks
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've heard all sorts from different insurers and users - Some say the cost of their insurance went down by as much as the Pass Plus course cost (so a decrease, but not saving any money). Others say that their insurer only cared about the Pass Plus for one year. Others say it is a waste of time, others are supportive of it. Check with your insurer either way.

I mainly took the Pass Plus to gain more experience in my car and to get some experience in really crappy conditions. I thought it was beneficial, and I was actually able to drive in the places where lessons didn't take me, and drive on roads which I was never previously tested on (motorways, etc). I also did a fair bit of navigation, so it generally helped my driving skills all around.

You should definitely get some tuition on the Pass Plus topics though. If it's not financially feasable, then go with adults - But they might not be as informative or as assuring as an instructor might be. I made a lot of mistakes but I trusted my driving instructor (as I had him all along) and we got through it, and I got my Pass Plus. Some of those conditions were really nasty - Like the thickest fog that I've probably ever encountered, and that was just a week after I had passed my practical test!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Co Op Young drivers is probably the cheapest insurance company for young drivers, and they don't ask about Pass Plus. I'd say it's a waste of money.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrWhosane)
    Co Op Young drivers is probably the cheapest insurance company for young drivers, and they don't ask about Pass Plus. I'd say it's a waste of money.
    Coop doubled my insurance premium when I tried them out online. Aviva were okay, but LV were the best for me so far.

Their little black box recorder is a nightmare. The rules they apply are speculative and caused a giant increase in my premium. For work purposes, sometimes I have to be driving at 7am, or returning home at 3am. I only work on weekends, and I only drive in the evening in the midweek (as it's a shared car, it's away during the day)

Sure, it might work for some, but it's incredibly restrictive. With Aviva or (now) LV, I have unlimited usage really. I can drive when I need to, and they won't charge me a fortune for this priviledge. £1100 or so - Fully comp as a secondary driver. I am insured for social, domestic, etc and business travel to a place of work. It includes break down cover and all that jazz. Can the Coop beat that?
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skittle_)
    I have just passed my driving test and although I dont have car at the moment I was wondering if it would be worth doing the pass plus?

I was thinking that if it reduced my insurance quite a bit then it might be useful, if it is going to cost more than I would save, I would just get some motorway lessons etc for my own experience.

I thought I might ring some insurers and see what they said, but in the mean time what are your views? Is it worth it in financial terms?

Thanks
    First of all, well done on passing your test. I was so proud when I did it.

I never took pass plus... But then again, I waited two years to finally get a car (which was earlier this year), and quotes on insurance dropped because of my age.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2044957
    PP - is it worth it thread
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    I suggest you go on some comparision sites and get a quote on what car you intend on getting etc, here you can add in the pass plus and will be able to see how much your premium will decrease to. I tried this many times over the past 2 months or so on the same and different cars and it didn't reduce it much or at all. It's not woth doing Pass Plus unless you know if will help you financially, on the other hand if you want to gain more experience then I would say to do it!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much for your replies. I will definitely get some lessons on motorway driving etc and ring some insurers to see what they think of pass plus!
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    It isnt really worth it.
    Quite a few insurers dont accept it anyway, and the oones that do dont knock much off the price- they dont knock enough off to make it worth doing it. So financial wise i wouldnt bother doing it. Id only do it if you really want to do it for the experience.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 3, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.