Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ethernet or wireless?

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness in in to the final 16! The group winners battle it out for the overall title! 15-07-2014
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Basically which is better, as i am torn between two accommodations
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2047649

is ethernet REALLY that bad? i am unsure as i have always used a laptop and always been wirelessly connected.

Thankyou all!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ethernet SHOULD be faster than wireless but it depends on a few factors like how many people will be connected to the internet at that time as one accommodation may have more rooms than the other.

Advantage to wireless is you can move around your room, connect your phone and stuff. Wish I had wireless as I was pretty much confined to using my laptop on my desk this past year ! :L Wireless should be fast enough for most needs. Unless they're set it up badly.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ethernet is faster and more reliable, wireless is more convenient. Up to you really

If you need wireless it's no ******* to plug a wireless bridge/router into your Ethernet port and connect your laptop to that. I'd check whether your landlord would be happy with that though.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by turboweevil)
    Ethernet is faster and more reliable, wireless is more convenient. Up to you really

If you need wireless it's no ******* to plug a wireless bridge/router into your Ethernet port and connect your laptop to that. I'd check whether your landlord would be happy with that though.
    How would you do this? :P and i only really need wireless to go on facebook and like browser games. Will also need to download lots of stuff like things for photoshop.

If you could go on the thread i posted, could you leave your opinion there?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If that's all you need your internet for go for wireless, you wont miss the extra speed and I imagine you wont experience poor reliability if you're paying for it
    • 41 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ClarkeFace)
    How would you do this? :P and i only really need wireless to go on facebook and like browser games. Will also need to download lots of stuff like things for photoshop.

If you could go on the thread i posted, could you leave your opinion there?
    Ethernet is far better if your planning to download and want reliable speed, as wi-fi can slow down if used by many devices.............and you can just get a cheap wireless router and make your own connection through it.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    20GB shared between 6 people will likely get exceeded.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    At my previous uni accommodation I had, along with most of them I think, only one ethernet cable, so anyone with an iPad would've been screwed unless they pay for an extra sim card on top of their phone. However, the new flat/house we're privately renting next September has no ethernet so I've had to put in a wireless thingy into my new computer in time for the start of term.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 3, 2012
New on TSR

Moving on from GCSEs

What advice would you give someone starting A-levels?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.