The Student Room Group

Im Unemployable.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
What education/experience do you have I cant see your CV posted, just curious.

Also look at temp to perm friends have found them easier to get.
Reply 41
Original post by threeportdrift
That's a very common problem. You think your CV is 'actually very good', and perhaps your family and friends agree. However, if your CV was 'actually very good', you'd be consistently invited to interview, at a rate of about 1 in every 5 applications. Think about it - a CV is a document solely and expressly intended to get you an invitation to interview. If it isn't doing that, it isn't a very good CV. It is the only thing offered to an employer over which they can make a decision, if they don't make a decision in your favour, then your CV isn't working for you.

It's a simple check.

If you aren't getting to interview in about 1 in 5 applications, your CV/application isn't very good.

If you are getting to interview, but aren't getting a job offer in about 1 in 4 interviews, then your interview technique isn't very good.

is career advice your job or just something you do on the side? nice to have someone on this forum like you.
Reply 42
Original post by samperry209
Hey guys

Well as the title states Im unemployable. Ive finally admitted this to myself. I will not get a job at all, Ive simply got nothing to offer.

Ive got qualifications yeah.. But employers what experience, I will never get this experience because no one will give me the chance to get experience.

Ive been turned down and knocked back more times then frank bruno's punchbag.

Help Me?!

Anyone?

No mickytakers.. I haven't got any patience..

In all seriousness, to make yourself more employable, try using contractions (I'm, I've). Even better, just write out the whole subject-verb agreement (I am, I have)

:smile:
Original post by Procerus
is career advice your job or just something you do on the side? nice to have someone on this forum like you.

Just something I do on the side, but my career keeps me very close to a number of the key components - universities and schools (particularly careers services), employers (I am one), recruiters etc.
Reply 44
Original post by craig12
In all seriousness, to make yourself more employable, try using contractions (I'm, I've). Even better, just write out the whole subject-verb agreement (I am, I have)

:smile:

I was typing as if I was talking to someone.
Reply 45
Original post by Procerus
What education/experience do you have I cant see your CV posted, just curious.

Also look at temp to perm friends have found them easier to get.

Mainly it qualifications but I've got maths gcse English gcse
Reply 46
Just something I do on the side, but my career keeps me very close to a number of the key components - universities and schools (particularly careers services), employers (I am one), recruiters etc.

Nice, what product/service do you provide one day i hope to be an employer
Reply 47
It is difficult, but be patience and dont give up finding the available jobs.:smile: In the mean time you could try to find more information on how to write a good CV and interview tips. Or you might want to check out this site. The company has been created by student from Kings College helping students finding jobs.
Reply 48

It's a simple check.

If you aren't getting to interview in about 1 in 5 applications, your CV/application isn't very good.

If you are getting to interview, but aren't getting a job offer in about 1 in 4 interviews, then your interview technique isn't very good.

Isn't 1 in 5 for interviews a bit low for a good CV. I reckon you would have to be very good to pull a job offer every 4 interviews but i guess I just suck at them. What things are important to aceing an interview?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Bloodbath
Isn't 1 in 5 for interviews a bit low for a good CV. I reckon you would have to be very good to pull a job offer every 4 interviews but i guess I just suck at them. What things are important to aceing an interview?

Working on the basis that most stats/evidence I've seen in the last 2 years indicates that from entry level right up to senior exec, 100 applicants for the job is standard. As a business interviewing people is expensive in time and resources, but you need to get it right, so generally one team of interviewers can interview 6 people in a day. Most organisations recruit one job at a time (not milk round types, but otherwise the stats are very similar) so they are looking for just 6 people out of about 100.

Generously, 50% of those CVs are utter tripe, in my experience it is more like 80%, but not all jobs and employers are looking for a difficult to achieve set of skills (I'm including weekend, part-time etc here as well as career jobs). So you are looking at being one of 6 CVs selected out of the 50 that are reasonably relevant. If you've properly tailored your CV, then you should be able to get yourself into the top 20 CVs and make your chances more like 1 in 3. But there is always a large element of personal preference in reading CVs, and ultimately, no matter what they say in the advert, an employer usually has a very fixed idea of the type of person they are looking for, so there is a large unknown element.

Once you get an invitation to interview, although one or two candidates may look particularly good on paper, most employers are prepared to reset a level playing field. A strong performance at interview from someone who was weakest of the 6 on paper usually trumps the paper element. People are much more persuaded by people. So if you have a 1 in 6 chance at each interview, and after 4 interviews you haven't got an offer, you are almost not doing better than random chance, and you need to work on your interview technique.

Not least, at the rate suitable job adverts come up, reduced by the number of times you'll make it to interview, you can't afford the time to keep stuffing up at the final hurdle!
Thank you! :smile:

Let me know how you get on, I might end up working with you.:biggrin:
WOW! So to sum up what you just said, You volunteered to implement IT into a cake shop? thats very creative! :smile:

You'd be surprised how often you can make an IT job out of a non-IT job! The Jobcentre I worked in nearly 2 years ago is still using the tools I built for them using my IT knowledge and my last job I pretty much automated with 2 spreadsheets and a database!

I also volunteered when I was unemployed. I taught elderly people to use the web when they attended the local Age Concern.

Honestly, IT is everywhere and a lot of places have no idea how it could be useful. If you're creative enough you can really boost your CV and interviews.
Reply 52
Original post by Dennerers
Let me know how you get on, I might end up working with you.:biggrin:

LOL Sure! :smile:

Original post by gateshipone
You'd be surprised how often you can make an IT job out of a non-IT job! The Jobcentre I worked in nearly 2 years ago is still using the tools I built for them using my IT knowledge and my last job I pretty much automated with 2 spreadsheets and a database!

I also volunteered when I was unemployed. I taught elderly people to use the web when they attended the local Age Concern.

Honestly, IT is everywhere and a lot of places have no idea how it could be useful. If you're creative enough you can really boost your CV and interviews.

Yeah theres a silver surfers club near me!

Hmm I might have to dig more into this!
Reply 53
Original post by flo_
Try registering with Milkround, its specifically designed for student employability, I signed up today :smile:

http://www.milkround.com/r6355499

Thanks

Im not a "student" anymore.. I left college in 2011.
Yeah theres a silver surfers club near me!

Hmm I might have to dig more into this!

Good luck! Honestly very few people are actually unemployable and you don't seem to be like the actual unemployable people I've met. It's just more challenging now to find work. It takes longer and you have to be much more flexible with the jobs you apply for. It may not be your chosen career, but it's better than signing!
Reply 55
Hey guys

Well as the title states Im unemployable. Ive finally admitted this to myself. I will not get a job at all, Ive simply got nothing to offer.

Ive got qualifications yeah.. But employers what experience, I will never get this experience because no one will give me the chance to get experience.

Help Me?!

Anyone?

What qualifications have you got ? You have to understand that you can't get your dream job right of the bat. The job market is such that even professionals can't get what they want and they have 5-10 years experience. Be realistic with your job targets.

Start off by seeking unpaid work in something related to your desired sector. It could be basic IT functions but it will be adding to your CV and your skills. Employers like to see that you have been committed to working for nothing in order to develop your skills. It shows you have a passion and drive rather than someone who is only focused on getting paid.

It's tough out there in the job market these days and grads and school leavers are the hardest hit due to lack of experience/ qualifications. The lucky few get onto grad schemes and the rest are forced to compete against professionals.

Agencies are really for people who have at least 2 years experience. Any grad role will have over 500 applications. Your only way is to work your way up (by gaining experience) thus differentiating yourself against other grads.

It's hard to compete for jobs at the grad level because there's just too many grads who have been displaced. I have gained over 2 years doing voluntary work plus i'm a part-qualified accountant now since graduating in 2010. I too have had to work my way up and now I have agencies ringing me all the time.

I really do feel for grads. The degree structure should be changed so that it includes some sort of practical exposure. Whether it's using industry programs or getting a few weeks work experience.

Don't ever give up though. I know it gets depressing when you get rejected so many times but at least you're trying. You get some idiots who sit on the dole for years using their JSA on beer and drugs. They're the losers who end up on that Jeremy Kyle Show.
Reply 56
I like the way everyone tells unemployed grads to take unpaid workexp. Problem is grads don't have much dough left to afford rent if they have to relocate
Reply 57
Hey guys

Help Me?!

Anyone?

So have I :frown: join the club :mad:
Reply 58
Original post by Bloodbath
I like the way everyone tells unemployed grads to take unpaid workexp. Problem is grads don't have much dough left to afford rent if they have to relocate

Well, that's how the job market is at the moment. There is something called housing benefit. Some people need to wake up and open their eyes. You have to be much more flexible (with the work you do & location) than pre-recession.

This is what you get for electing Cameron and that other idiot into power. Can you see how they f**ked you up now.
Reply 59
There are 26 voluntary IT posts within 10 miles of Littlehampton on do-it.org right now.

yes but they most probably all be admin work

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending