Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Job Seekers and Postgrads

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys! I'm new to the forums and not really sure what topic this thread falls into so feel free to move me if needs be.

Just a quick question about job seeker allowance. I know the general rule is that students on a full-time course are not eligible but where do postgraduate students stand?
    My course was only 4 hours class time a week and now I'm doing my summer dissertation. Therefore I now have no class time and am technically free and able to work although my course do not technically finish until September when I submit my work. Do you think I'd get JSA?
    I am looking for a part-time job but as I am sure anyone would tell you they're not easily gotten. Since postgraduate students don't receive student loans any amount of money coming in might get me through the summer.

Sorry, quick question turned into a long ramble. Money worries.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You are still a student. I am in the same situation. Fast running out of money and am unable to get help as I am a student.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    Are you classed as a full time or part time student?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am classed as a full-time student. But as I said earlier my course amounted to 4 hours of class per week, even if I account for the independent study time on top of that I am still under to 16 hours the Job Centre sets as their maximum. Since it is summer I have zero class hours.
    Does that matter though, since I am (only in words) a full-time student? I could bluff and say my course has ended and I got a Postgraduate Diploma rather than my Masters, but I would rather do it by the book.
    It just really sucks. There's absolutely no support for students in my situation. While I am searching tirelessly and applying for all jobs going (which I am), I'll just go absolutely broke in the meantime.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teatania)
    I am classed as a full-time student. But as I said earlier my course amounted to 4 hours of class per week, even if I account for the independent study time on top of that I am still under to 16 hours the Job Centre sets as their maximum. Since it is summer I have zero class hours.
    Does that matter though, since I am (only in words) a full-time student? I could bluff and say my course has ended and I got a Postgraduate Diploma rather than my Masters, but I would rather do it by the book.
    It just really sucks. There's absolutely no support for students in my situation. While I am searching tirelessly and applying for all jobs going (which I am), I'll just go absolutely broke in the meantime.
    You are a full time student so you are unable to get help from JS.

Most taught masters are only a few hours a week but you are meant to be spending the rest of your time studying. So you are full time.

I am in the same situation as yourself.

I would recommend avoiding lying as all they would have to do is call the uni to check your story.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

1. The Job Centre will probably check

2. I don't see how it's unfair that you don't get support while you're doing a course which you applied for knowing the situation. No one had a gun to your head to force you to do it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norton1)

2. I don't see how it's unfair that you don't get support while you're doing a course which you applied for knowing the situation. No one had a gun to your head to force you to do it.
    The issue is that masters have very little funding opportunities with the majority self funding like myself.

However, people entering in without enough money to last the year is common. You have to remember we are seeing price hikes in the cost of masters. My application was made when the fee was 3,200 which jumped to 4,500 when my year fees were confirmed. Now if I had declined and taken a year out there is a very good chance another price hike would have meant that I would have been no better off starting a year later or been simply priced out of post graduate education. They seem to be slowly increased to match undergraduate fees so in a couple of years I would not be surprised if the course I am on now was charging 8 or 9k fees.

My plan is to follow this MSc with a PhD and the MSc is the basic PhD entry requirement. The risk in my eyes was worth it, but it has taken a serious toll on my mental well being.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Politics Student)
    The issue is that masters have very little funding opportunities with the majority self funding like myself.

However, people entering in without enough money to last the year is common. You have to remember we are seeing price hikes in the cost of masters. My application was made when the fee was 3,200 which jumped to 4,500 when my year fees were confirmed. Now if I had declined and taken a year out there is a very good chance another price hike would have meant that I would have been no better off starting a year later or been simply priced out of post graduate education. They seem to be slowly increased to match undergraduate fees so in a couple of years I would not be surprised if the course I am on now was charging 8 or 9k fees.

My plan is to follow this MSc with a PhD and the MSc is the basic PhD entry requirement. The risk in my eyes was worth it, but it has taken a serious toll on my mental well being.
    You can't save up more than £1000 in a year's work? I think not. I think the thing you have to remember is that other people do consider this kind of thing before beginning their Master's and plan accordingly e.g. me.

I'm not sure what your point about this being the entry point to the PhD is, everyone is aware of this. You're talking to me as If I'm still at school.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

I am not asking for support for my course, I am asking for help with basic living expenses. I was aware of the situation I entered into and planned accordingly. I applied for and was lucky enough to receive a community grant to put toward my fees, and took out a graduate loan to cover the rest. I then had a part-time job to cover my own expenses but the company I was working for closed the branch in my area. A person in this situation is usually able to turn to JSA to help them through the time in between jobs. What is unfair is that I cannot turn to this even though I am free and looking for employment and despite the fact my course is effectively over.

It's a series of bad luck and unfortunate timing.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I am not asking for support for my course, I am asking for help with basic living expenses. I was aware of the situation I entered into and planned accordingly. I applied for and was lucky enough to receive a community grant to put toward my fees, and took out a graduate loan to cover the rest. I then had a part-time job to cover my own expenses but the company I was working for closed the branch in my area. A person in this situation is usually able to turn to JSA to help them through the time in between jobs. What is unfair is that I cannot turn to this even though I am free and looking for employment and despite the fact my course is effectively over.

You are asking for support for your course because you are still on your course. You aren't in the same position as someone that lost their job because you're a full time student.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You can't save up more than £1000 in a year's work? I think not. I think the thing you have to remember is that other people do consider this kind of thing before beginning their Master's and plan accordingly e.g. me.

I'm not sure what your point about this being the entry point to the PhD is, everyone is aware of this. You're talking to me as If I'm still at school.
    I think the biggest problem is getting a 'year's work'. I spent 4 months in between my degree and MSc stuck unemployed. We are living in a recession with 8% unemployment and 20% youth unemployment. Having a year to save through working is not necessarily easy to do. Also if you have savings then the amount from Jobseekers is reduced. I was getting £30 per week and having to dip into savings occasionally to cover some costs. Taking a year out is not an option. While it is wonderful if you have a secure job for the year then great, but not everyone is in that situation.

The entry point of the PhD is important as unless you have family to fund you through the MSc then there is a good chance the PhD will be blocked off from you and those also from poorer backgrounds. People taking the risk before fees rise even higher is completely understandable.

Another quick point. There is no need to get so defensive. All I stated was my plan to do a PhD and the problem with have to get a self funding MSc to be able to do that. In that short section there was nothing aiming to attack you and I am honestly surprised you got defensive over it.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Therefore I now have no class time and am technically free and able to work although my course do not technically finish until September when I submit my work. Do you think I'd get JSA?
    Not a chance. All dole offices will work off the universities published end date of your course.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

I had the same sort of problem. I lost my part time job which I started a week before the MSc and it was blind luck I got it, but that little income would have helped keep me above water throughout the year. However, I lost the job after two months as the job was in sales which took about a week to fully process with estimates, weighing... etc. Therefore, working only weekends I could only start, move along the process, or finish a sale and the manager bullied a full time staff member to take my shifts.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Politics Student)
    I think the biggest problem is getting a 'year's work'. I spent 4 months in between my degree and MSc stuck unemployed. We are living in a recession with 8% unemployment and 20% youth unemployment. Having a year to save through working is not necessarily easy to do. Also if you have savings then the amount from Jobseekers is reduced. I was getting £30 per week and having to dip into savings occasionally to cover some costs. Taking a year out is not an option. While it is wonderful if you have a secure job for the year then great, but not everyone is in that situation.

The entry point of the PhD is important as unless you have family to fund you through the MSc then there is a good chance the PhD will be blocked off from you and those also from poorer backgrounds. People taking the risk before fees rise even higher is completely understandable.

Another quick point. There is no need to get so defensive. All I stated was my plan to do a PhD and the problem with have to get a self funding MSc to be able to do that. In that short section there was nothing aiming to attack you and I am honestly surprised you got defensive over it.
    If you can't find work I question how much your undergraduate degree has prepared you for the real world. Yes, there is 20% youth unemployment...so there is 80% employment. I don't know about you but I think a good student from a good University probably can find work, I totally disagree with the conclusion you've drawn from that statistic and would posit that for people with very good degrees (as you must have to be contemplating a PhD) the rate is significantly lower.

From that I move on to your second point, as noted I think you can get a job so I will address this fallacy that the fee rises make it a good idea. The example you proffer is a £1000 rise, which - if taken as typical - I would say is easily addressed by finding work. I'm not sure that the University would be shy about charging more if it thought it wouldn't lose its market. Warwick, after all, offers a £27,000 finance masters.

Finally, characterising me as defensive is wrong I think. Your sentence read as incredibly patronising. Although I accept there was no malice in it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I could bluff and say my course has ended and I got a Postgraduate Diploma rather than my Masters, but I would rather do it by the book.
    Umm...don't do this. Fraud really doesn't look good to future employers!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 4, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.