The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Dreama
You get to stay up all night analysing remoteness of damages. Who would want to miss such fun?

Don't you just love contract coursework!
Reply 21
LondonSteve181
No wigs? Wtf? That's part of the appeal of becoming a barrister. Hmm, second thoughts yea get rid of them they look ugly.

Yes - the wigs do distinguish barristers from solicitors and rightly so in a way because there is a difference betw. the two. Barristers have rights of audience in a higher court whereas solicitors don't, only in the lower courts.

I say replace the wigs with shades and trenchcoats:wink:
Reply 22
Shades and trenchcoats...that certainly does sound more appealing. I look quite fabby in trenchcoats and i am sure that a good barrister is a fabulously dressed one!
Reply 23
i'm just one of those wierdos who finds law fascinating in nearly all its aspects (property law is dry). i once picked up a book on law - Geldart's Introduction to English Law - and although it was very matter of factul, it reallly made me think a lot about how special law really is. it dictates precisely what we should do and yet many dont even know how it affects them. i am especially fascinated with the way that law has evolved and will continue to do so whilst society is changing. ultimately my ideal career path would be teaching.
Reply 24
it's complex. what's right and what's wrong is debatable. it determines how our lives are run.
Reply 25
Baadshah
I say replace the wigs with shades and trenchcoats:wink:

I can't believe your signature has so much crap in it you took up my entire screen just to say this.

Use the spoliers!
Reply 26
and i looked forward 2 wearing a wig :frown: hehe
Whats not to be attracted to? Opportunity of arguing all day and thrill of winning.

Can take or leave the wig tho-they're not exactly machine washable, wouldnt want one of those disgusting things esp a second hand one tho i think they're pretty expensive... mind u look pretty cool tho, in a dirty kind of way..
Reply 28
These are great answers. :smile: I'm hoping to apply for law at uni and any doubts I've had are being extinguished in this thread! As for the wigs, I thought only Criminal barristers wore them when advocating? No-one else has to do they?

And in response to MissyBooBoo (lol, nice name!), they can look pretty cool. But not in a dirty way. That's just wrong.

Don't they cost, like, £800 or something?
Reply 29
Only Barristers wear them, so if you wanna avoid the headlice be a solicitor :p:
Reply 30
Ethereal
I can't believe your signature has so much crap in it you took up my entire screen just to say this.

Use the spoliers!

lol!:biggrin:
They'll never get rid of the wigs. This is the third or so time that getting the wigs has been discussed, and they never go anywhere. Lawyers love their traditions too much!:p:

And why study law? 'Cos when you're grown up and a barrister, you get to wear robes and pretend you're in Harry Potter!:wink:
too many courtroom dramas
this TV advertising is so insidious
Reply 33
I don't understand why people think law is boring! I love it.

What other subject (excluding med to some extent) incorporates nearly every other good university subject, from History, Philosophy, to Sociology!!

I love law me!

Latest

Trending

Trending