Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can't get to sleep please help!

Announcements Posted on
Become part of the Welcome Squad! Apply here! 28-10-2014
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ok so I know that the important time to get some sleep (exams) are now over but I still can't get sleep and I need advice! I go to bed at 3am and I am fully awake at 6am and CANNOT get sleep.
    Oh and don't suggest sleeping pills. thanks in advance.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't panic about getting to sleep, you'll just keep your mind whirring. Try a routine, like a hot bath, mug of hot chocolate/horlicks, then an early night. Don't eat too late or watch TV programmes too late that you will be thinking about. Try not to watch TV in your bedroom. If you can't sleep, do something, don't just lie in bed worrying. Read a book, listen to some music etc. If you feel sleep coming, don't resist or try and stay awake, just quietly go to bed.

Personally I don't start work till 10am, which is great for me, because I don't go to sleep until about 2/3am on a work night. Every few months I have a weekend where I just don't go to sleep one night on purpose. Odd as it sounds, it really refreshes me. I think it makes me sleep really deeply the folllowing night. That's what works for me, its just about finding a sleep routine that works for you.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, getting off the computer would be a good start.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I had the same problem in the last couple of years and a doctor suggested to me to read a book or magazine before bed rather listen to music, watch t.v, play games etc. Try reducing your fluid intake as well say after 6 or 7 o clock so your not constantly needing a piss. Definitely don't go for sleeping pills they are a waste of time and money!

Hope this helps.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tahooper)
    "You have reached the limit of how many posts you can rate today!"
    Damn! Remind me to +1 you tomorrow mate!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ohhh so I guess that makes you... One of us
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    You should try tensing and relaxing parts of your body in a chain (if that makes sense) so start at your toes and move upwards.
    I also count backwards from one hundred slowly, don't worry if you get confused; thats the point
    Or focus on a candle in your mind and don't let it flicker out which sounds mental but helps
    I used to suffer from insomnia and major lack of sleep, these are what I did, and still do
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tahooper)
    Good point.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Count backwards from 5000. I don't think I've ever gotten to 4000.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YaYazooGirl)
    Ok so I know that the important time to get some sleep (exams) are now over but I still can't get sleep and I need advice! I go to bed at 3am and I am fully awake at 6am and CANNOT get sleep.
    Oh and don't suggest sleeping pills. thanks in advance.
    Masturbation usually works
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I have found my sleeping pattern is a bit messed up since exams. I usually go to sleep at 3am and wake up at 11/12am which is annoyingly late. I tried forcing myself to sleep earlier but still woke up that late. I wake up to alarms but fall asleep again. I now read in bed but that just keeps me up because I get into the book.

Not sure what would help fix it. I think it is something to do with the weather. I sleep much better in the winter and this on/off heat is leaving my room swapping from boiling to cold.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    fap
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    stay up for a whole night, then you'll be tired enough to sleep at a sensible time the next night.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 3, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.