Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Canon EOS 350D vs ~£100 compact camera

Announcements Posted on
Live webchat: Student Finance explained - on TSR from 2 - 3pm 17-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm leaving for a round-the-world trip shortly and I'll be gone for a few months. I am very technologically savvy but I'm not into photography as I've never had the need to be until now. Basically, I have the option of borrowing a family member's Canon EOS 350D or purchasing a camera for myself, and, only being willing to spend about £100 that would be a good quality compact camera rather than an SLR like the 350D.
    At the moment I am leaning towards just getting my own compact point-and-shoot as I need to buy my own camera at some point and I'm not too keen on having the learn all the specifics about digital photography in order to get the best out of the DSLR.
    So basically, I would like to know if using the 7 year old 350D would result in significantly better pictures than a current £100-ish compact camera, seeing as with both I will just be pointing and shooting and barely playing around with the settings.
    Thanks for the help, sorry I'm such a novice ha.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DonJuan)
    I'm leaving for a round-the-world trip shortly and I'll be gone for a few months. I am very technologically savvy but I'm not into photography as I've never had the need to be until now. Basically, I have the option of borrowing a family member's Canon EOS 350D or purchasing a camera for myself, and, only being willing to spend about £100 that would be a good quality compact camera rather than an SLR like the 350D.
    At the moment I am leaning towards just getting my own compact point-and-shoot as I need to buy my own camera at some point and I'm not too keen on having the learn all the specifics about digital photography in order to get the best out of the DSLR.
    So basically, I would like to know if using the 7 year old 350D would result in significantly better pictures than a current £100-ish compact camera, seeing as with both I will just be pointing and shooting and barely playing around with the settings.
    Thanks for the help, sorry I'm such a novice ha.
    It sounds like you would do better with the compact camera. It's also a lot smaller and will attract less attention - both very important considerations when travelling. I would still suggest brushing up on photographic technique if you want some decent pictures to look back on for your whole life.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sammydemon)
    It sounds like you would do better with the compact camera. It's also a lot smaller and will attract less attention - both very important considerations when travelling. I would still suggest brushing up on photographic technique if you want some decent pictures to look back on for your whole life.
    Thanks for the advice, that's a good point about it attracting less attention. Where would be a good place to start just to learn a bit about basic photography in order to improve the pictures I'll take? Are there any websites you recommend?
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice, that's a good point about it attracting less attention. Where would be a good place to start just to learn a bit about basic photography in order to improve the pictures I'll take? Are there any websites you recommend?
    Essentially you just want a grasp of the basic rules. There are endless books and websites out there that teach photography. This top 10 list covers most of the basics:

http://www.photographymad.com/pages/...osition-rules/

If you are really interested though, get a decent book which you could even take with you on your travels. Something like this perhaps:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Basics-Photo...1275627&sr=1-2

But most of all, practice, practice, practice You may end up finding that you really enjoy photography (it's a hobby that goes hand in hand with travel) and want to get your own DSLR in the future!
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Used properly, the 350D would probably result in better pictures ... but if you intend to use it as a compact, I'd say get a nice compact instead. DSLR manufacturers haven't put their research into developing the auto features of their cameras, which has led to DSLR auto and JPEG processing being inferior to that of compacts. Even if you did intend to mess around with settings, it would be unwise to start with DSLRs just before leaving - it takes learning and practice to get the best out of them, and a lot of people find their photos actually get worse when they first start with a DSLR.

Get a nice compact, and enjoy taking photos of your trip rather than worrying about whether you have the right settings or not.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    Get a nice compact, and enjoy taking photos of your trip rather than worrying about whether you have the right settings or not.
    This. Plus all the other advice about attracting attention etc is spot on.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 4, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.